The Grateful Dead

What's the scoop on that bonus disc?

I'm not really sure. It says "uncirculated material" - I've never heard anything from this show, and I don't recall ever seeing it on lists of anyone I've traded with. Even DeadBase looks to have only a partial listing for set 2 (Eyes > S. Mag > GDTRFB > Casey). Surely there was more than that played that night.

I guess we'll find out later.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure. It says "uncirculated material" - I've never heard anything from this show, and I don't recall ever seeing it on lists of anyone I've traded with. Even DeadBase looks to have only a partial listing for set 2 (Eyes > S. Mag > GDTRFB > Casey). Surely there was more than that played that night.

I guess we'll find out later.

With Sat. Night encore. I'm pretty sure that's the entirety of the second set. Supposedly the show was supposed to start at 6 p.m. but did not start until 11 p.m. for whatever reason.

I don't recall ever hearing and/or coming across this show either.

13 years ago today - The Spectrum, Philly PA. The debut of one of the most-requested GD songs of all time - Unbroken Chain. We only had to wait 20 years!

Anyone from the board at that show? I wasn't. :ohwell

Fan superstition said that if the tune ever got played it would be the beginning of the end for the band. Sadly this turned out to be true.

13 years ago today - The Spectrum, Philly PA. The debut of one of the most-requested GD songs of all time - Unbroken Chain. We only had to wait 20 years!

Fan superstition said that if the tune ever got played it would be the beginning of the end for the band. Sadly this turned out to be true.

Not at that show but was in Memphis a couple weeks later and heard it as the encore.....great to hear that but all in all a lackluster show...was the first time I had seen the Dead in about 5 years as I had stopped going to shows and only went to see JGB shows. Apparently the superstition was correct. What was the other one everyone used to say? Jerry in red, trouble ahead...something like that? I don't recall ever seeing him in anything but a black T

:wave

Funny story....Once the Dead got the ear piece monitors, the soundcheck and show was sent on some radio frequency. There was a guy that could pick up the soundcheck with this giant radio and headphones. We often saw him on the way in and he would tell us what they soundchecked or make up something crazy.

On March 19, we walked by the guy on our way to the seats and said:

"What did they do?"

"Unbroken Chain"

"Yeah, right!"

We kept walking. We had great seats about 15th row on the floor. The first 5 songs of the first set were nothing special, and the 5th song was Don't Ease Me In which usually meant the end of the set. However, they didn't leave and started the Chain. At the first note, they guy in front of me freaked out, and then I picked it up. I was in shock....almost like this can't really be happening. The Spectrum just felt electric with people screaming, hugging, high-fiveing.

Obviously, they didn't get to play it many times, and the Spectrum version, while not the best, is sure solid.

In terms of busting out never played or rare material, there will never be anything so impactful like the Dead again.

I don't think I have heard that song - it's a Phil song, right? Although, maybe I have. I have Mars Hotel on a blank tape from years and years ago.

Correct A-Man Phil wrote it. Listen to the intro to that song (UBC) and then the first few seconds of "Passenger Side", always kind of reminds me of each other...just the first few seconds of guitar, seems to have the same sonic quality or something

Wasn't at the "Unbroken Chain" bust out in '95 in Philly but was fortunate to catch a few others. Lots of good stuff in the south with these fond memories.

St. Stephen - Hartford '83 (though MSG right before was the break-out, it was euphoric nonetheless)

The Warlocks shows with all the bust-outs

Ripple- Cap Center '88

Stir it Up- Hampton '88 and So What- Hampton '88 (only time playeds)

Louie, Louie- Hartford '88

Loose Lucy- Cap Center '90

California Earthquake- Philly and Charlotte '89

Few others i can't remember right now but the most memorable was the Stephen: I knew they'd done it at MSG a few nights earlier and was on edge listening to the tune coming out of space (as were most folks). The place just lit up. Corny as it sounds, I still get chills listening to it.

:wave

Funny story....Once the Dead got the ear piece monitors, the soundcheck and show was sent on some radio frequency. There was a guy that could pick up the soundcheck with this giant radio and headphones. We often saw him on the way in and he would tell us what they soundchecked or make up something crazy.

On March 19, we walked by the guy on our way to the seats and said:

"What did they do?"

"Unbroken Chain"

"Yeah, right!"

We kept walking. We had great seats about 15th row on the floor. The first 5 songs of the first set were nothing special, and the 5th song was Don't Ease Me In which usually meant the end of the set. However, they didn't leave and started the Chain. At the first note, they guy in front of me freaked out, and then I picked it up. I was in shock....almost like this can't really be happening. The Spectrum just felt electric with people screaming, hugging, high-fiveing.

Obviously, they didn't get to play it many times, and the Spectrum version, while not the best, is sure solid.

In terms of busting out never played or rare material, there will never be anything so impactful like the Dead again.

I love stories like that. :thumbup

I never saw the GD do The Chain, although I have caught Phil and Friends doing the song ( the versions Phil did with Haynes/Herring are very good). Like Ian said earlier I had pretty much stopped travelling to see the band at that time. There was a brief moment in time (Spring '93 in particular had some excellent shows) when things seemed A-OK but by the Fall of that year it was over. I did 3 nights at Richfield (Cleveland) in September of that year that were just so disappointing I could hardly stand it. It was obvious Jerry was in a bad way (again) - staring at the floor most of the time, flubbing licks left and right, and most importantly it seemed like he could not get through an entire song without fucking up the words. So, from then on I only did Deer Creek shows - for some reason they nearly always played well there.

In other news, I finally got the 2nd volume of Road Trips. Maiden voyage to commence right now. Anyone else get this yet?

I have not watched Lil' Bush (on Comedy Central) but I read that Phil Lesh does the voice of the evil CEO of a drug company on tonight's episode.

Why do rock stars want to be in that terrible show, I wonder. Must be for the money.

Why do rock stars want to be in that terrible show, I wonder. Must be for the money.

Phil didn't start having kids until late in life - I think both of his sons are college-age. Gotta pay for those rising tuition costs!

Cripes, it's like having a discussion with myself in this thread at times.

Anyway: I liked at Garcia's tribute a few days after he died when his daughter Anabelle thanked the crowd for making it so she and her sister never had to work at Dairy Queen.

Cripes, it's like having a discussion with myself in this thread at times.

Anyway: I liked at Garcia's tribute a few days after he died when his daughter Anabelle thanked the crowd for making it so she and her sister never had to work at Dairy Queen.

Did you see the trial on Court-TV when Mountain Girl sued Jerry's last wife?

Also, I think sometime last year, the oldest daughter sued the estate.

I didn't see that but have you guys seen that made for tv doc about the current affairs of his state. Lets just say they don't paint debra Koons the nicest picture.

"Lets just say they don't paint debra Koons the nicest picture. "

I understand there is a body of evidence that would support that portrayal.

Poor Jerry, all he cared about was the music...........and the Persian but thats the other side of the story.....

I do remember some Court TV stuff with Phil and MG testifying. Koons comes off as real bitch.

Mountain Girl is from Poughkeepsie.

"Lets just say they don't paint debra Koons the nicest picture. "

I understand there is a body of evidence that would support that portrayal.

Poor Jerry, all he cared about was the music...........and the Persian but thats the other side of the story.....

oh no doubt it seems accurate but its just humors because they got her to do an interview for the doc and she goes on about how wonderful the ties, ice creams and action figures are.

now playing

nov. 11, 1973

winterland

That's a top 10 (or 5) version of Dark Star there.

In other news, I finally got the 2nd volume of Road Trips. Maiden voyage to commence right now. Anyone else get this yet?

So how is it? I didn't care for Vol 1 much at all and it kind of turned me off of the whole Road Trips concept. Of course that opinion could change if the next one is killer. :thumbup

So how is it? I didn't care for Vol 1 much at all and it kind of turned me off of the whole Road Trips concept. Of course that opinion could change if the next one is killer. :thumbup

Well, as you can imagine, it doesn't flow like a whole show but..

1) The Sugaree is a MONSTER version. One of the best I've ever heard - it stands up to ones like 3/18/77 and 5/22/77.

2) A pair of unpredictable combos ( Other One > Good Lovin' and Terrapin > Black Peter) that are just about perfect.

3) The last Help > Slip > Frank for 5 years...plus a real spacy Playin'

I'd give it a thumbs up.