The Grateful Dead

Seems like a lot of "Shed" style places are succumbing to developers. Starwood here in Nashville is gone....torn down for condos, houses, and a "mixed use" retail area. Just what we need another plazza with a Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, and Pottery Barn.....seems to be a trend with these outdoor venues that were / are owned by Clear Channel

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody say HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL! :worship

68 years old today! I think I'll throw on the 3/15/90 show - a fantastic version of "Terrapin" on that one.

Everybody say HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL! :worship

68 years old today! I think I'll throw on the 3/15/90 show - a fantastic version of "Terrapin" on that one.

Happy B-day PHLESH! Were you at the Phil show two summers ago in indianapolis? I was just listening to that show the other day.

Also that winterland run is gonna be awesome. I hope they don't do the limited number of prints like they did with the fillmore box.

A great "Easy To Love You" and a stellar "Tom Thumb's" as well (I'm goin' back to Foggy Bottom...").

The post about the box has disappeared from D.Gan's blog - I wonder if they asked him to remove it.

Yeah. I went over there after you posted and didn't see anything. We'll see on Monday, I guess. :pray

None of the links worked anyhow.

Who recorded these shows - Kidd?

# Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/9/73)

# Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/10/73)

# Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/11/73)

Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/9/73)

Up at archive.org

Promised Land

Here Comes Sunshine

They Love Each Other

Me and My Uncle

Don't Ease Me In

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playing in the Band

To Lay Me Down

Big River

Mississippi Half-Step

Greatest Story Ever Told

Bertha

WRS Prelude

WRS Part 1

Let It Grow

Eyes of the World

China Doll

Around and Around

Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad

Johnny B. Goode

Uncle John's Band

Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/10/73)

Up at archive.org

Bertha

Jack Straw

Loser

Looks Like Rain

Deal

Mexicali Blues

Tennessee Jed

El Paso

Brokedown Palace

Beat it on Down the Line

Row Jimmy

WRS Prelude

WRS Part 1

Let It Grow

Playing in the Band

Uncle John's Band

Morning Dew

Uncle John's Band

Playing in the Band

Big River

Stella Blue

Truckin'

Wharf Rat

Sugar Magnolia

One More Saturday Night

Casey Jones

Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (11/11/73)

Up at archive.org

Promised Land

Bertha

Greatest Story Ever Told

Sugaree

Black Throated Wind

To Lay Me Down

El Paso

Ramble On Rose

Me and Bobby McGee

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Me and My Uncle

Loose Lucy

WRS Prelude

WRS Part 1

Let It Grow

Mississippi Half-Step

Big River

Dark Star

Mind Left Body Jam

Eyes of the World

China Doll

Sugar Magnolia

Uncle John's Band

Johnny B. Goode

We Bid You Goodnight

A quick glance at the Compendium and DeadBase didn't yield any specific information, but my guess is that Kidd did tape these. They weren't listed in the stash of Betty Boards - and Kidd did a lot of the taping during the '72-'74 period. So that's just my guess.

Wonderful run of shows. The 11/11 is one of the really great ones.

I think someday I am going to make a cd full of nothing but Eyes of The World.

Obviously I don't know what you have on file, but I'd be happy to give suggestions if you do this project. It's just my opinion but there's really no need to go past '76 with that idea. Most Eyes from the last 15-20 years seem rushed - little true exploration - plus the tempos are often way fast. That song seemed to peak real early in its lifetime.

Well talking Eyes and that 73 run. I love the jam out of Eyes into China Doll, phils bass on the intro to this tune is awesome.

Also I'm sure you'd include the 06/16/74 Eyes into Big River, what a transition! Is there a circulating copy of this show where the first set doesn't have major sound issues?

Yeah, the first disc (on my copy) has faint vocals for the first few songs - not uncommon during that time. It's great if you want to practice your karaoke stylings though. :rolleyes

Just my opinion but the Eyes on the So Many Roads boxset and GD Movie is my favorite all time version. I believe it's 10-19-74. A close second is the 6-18-74 Louisville, KY version.

I agree, keep to prior 1976. Later versions don't have that great jam at the end and seem to be to "speedy". But what do I know right? Anything past 1974 rarely gets played in these ears :stunned

More Primal Dead!

Well, we'll have to make a list.

We should probably just do that in this thread. If there was another "Top 20" thread the board would probably blow up. :lol

Just my opinion but the Eyes on the So Many Roads boxset and GD Movie is my favorite all time version. I believe it's 10-19-74. A close second is the 6-18-74 Louisville, KY version.

I agree, keep to prior 1976. Later versions don't have that great jam at the end and seem to be to "speedy". But what do I know right? Anything past 1974 rarely gets played in these ears :stunned

More Primal Dead!

Can't go wrong with most of the '74 Eyes but I'll chime in for a few later Eyes' that spring to mind that should not go unnoticed that pop into mind:

11.5.77- Rochester

2.26.77 Swing auditorium

4.8.78 Jacksonville

and there are a few from the 80s and even 90s I'd toss in if making a well-rounded Eyes list.

Ok that Rochester (11-5-77) show is a great "Eyes"...See I occasionally get into post 74 stuff (actually I listen to quite a bit of latter year Dead). That entire show has a funny kind of energy to it. If memory serves that's the one where Phil is letting loose with all kinds of bombs is it not? Also the "Take a step back" rap is kinda funny on that Jerry: All these people in front are getting horribly smashed" Bob: Moooooove back! Mooooove back !

I wish I had a disc or two worth of stage banter some funny funny stuff over the years. Still my favorite 10-30-70 Cinci, Ohio Jerry: Whattya got to be a cop? (to fan yelling "Play Truckin'!") is that it? Play Truckin, Play Truckin'...........We'll play whatever we like!

Bob: You folks underneath the lip of the baa, balll, balcony (Jerry: B B B B Balcony!) better watch out one of these minutes theyre gonna drop a whole load of live chickens on ya....

I was just realizing it's coming up on 13 years since my last show (4-2-95) in Memphis. Short show but did get to hear Unbroken Chain as the encore

I just had to throw this out there. I am so excited, just bought my first Grateful Dead vinyl albums. I found some great vintage record stores, just got into the idea of buying vinyl. I bought What a long strange trip its been, and For the faithful. So far so good :)

For the Faithful is a re-issue of "Reckoning". You're gonna love that one. Comfortable like an old pair of slippers.

I just placed my order (Winterland). I can't help it - I'm hooked! :stunned