St. Louis is such a great place!

Yeah. That gave me the cold shivers.

Speaking of disposable pop stars who probably store bodily waste products in their closests, James Blunt is on Sesame Street right now, singing "You're Beautiful" about triangles. I kind of want to die right now. I don't want to live in a world where this exists. This can't be good for children. Or anyone.

"And I don't know what to do/because there are three sides of you?"

That would make as much sense as the original song.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of.

Her criticism was that they only accepted the beautiful, "normal" people, or whatever. They seemed to agree with her, but I think they're unapologetic about it. The judges sometimes tell people to lose weight or whatever--it's not a secret that disposable pop stars (I think two Idols have already been dropped from Clive Davis' label) generally fit a few specific types.

There's always a few eccentric contestants who tell the judges or the cameras that they need x or y type of person to mix things up. They don't really need any type of person other than the few types they usually have--they've got a winning formula (which will peter out eventually, but there's no avoiding that).

huh?

story.clay.ruben.jpg

• 1 month later...
and got kudos for a luke warm version....

I was wondering what other people thought. I didn't think it was so hot either.

A great song overcomes mediocrity every time....

Guess you're right.

I watch American Idol:

a. because I like cheesy crap.

b. so that I can discuss it with my nieces and nephew, who all love it, and

c. because it helps to have seen the show when I'm reading the recaps on Television Without Pity (I would be reading the recaps anyway, so it's nice to actually have a frame of reference).

From the recap of last night's show, about the kid with the dreadlocks who sang Hallelujah:

...what I'm seeing with the grandmas this year is that they want to, part and parcel, f*ck the hell out of Jason Castro, which is very Elliott and very -- explain please? -- Clay Aiken. We didn't have a Clay/Elliott last year -- Blake came close in terms of the poetic nonsense he inspired, but it wasn't cougar-centric in the way I'm talking about -- but I am telling you, AI betting pool people, that Jason Castro is in it for the long haul. In the past two weeks I have been privileged to read more five-page creative writing essays about the magic in that boy's motherf*cking soul than I ever thought possible. He's a power player, just trust me.
From the recap of last night's show, about the kid with the dreadlocks who sang Hallelujah:

Well, I haven't really paid much attention to him (or any of them for that matter) until last night and only because I heard those first couple of notes. So I can't offer an opinion either way, but I guess I'll stay more in tuned now.

When they have a theme, like "songs from the 80's"...is it a goal of the producers to have the kids pick the worst songs possible? I'm not expecting anyone to sing "I Apologize" or anything, but Christ...maybe like a Cure or REM song instead of the Queen song from the Highlander sountrack. Once that came on, I made my exit to the basement.

Did anyone sing a Duran Duran song?

Not that I recall ;)

I remember "Wake Me Up (Before You Go-Go) and a rockin' version of "Hello" (yes, by Nicole Ritchie's dad...lol)

imho, Jason Castro is this year's "Sanjaya"...he has the "hair" and the "cute factor" but isn't a standout or anything.

And the girl before him was kinda blah. I can't really see anyone topping Chikezie tonight.

Jon Bon Jovi meets Eleanor Rigby?!??!?

And, yes, I DO realize I'm talking to myself...lol

Chikezie - that was SOMETHIN'!!! :rock

Generally he is mediocre at best, but that was okay...

Meanwhile Castro was the pits...he needs to go. He lucked out last week picking a bullet proof song, but not so this week....

LouieB

That one girl is so much better than the rest, it's kind of a joke.

The Janis Joplin-like one (voice-wise)?!?

David Archuleta did his song in the style of a Betty Crocker commercial.

That was absolutely horrendous. This guy is the alleged frontunner?

The Janis Joplin-like one (voice-wise)?!?

I would guess Carly, the Irish girl. Or Brooke.

That was actually a pretty horrendous night all in all. Strangely the front runners didn't do so well and some of the ones who should fall out did just fine, but what was with that country arrangement....yuck..

LouieB

David Hernandez would slay it singing on gay cruise trips.

Archuleta has had better moments but he'll be in the topw 2-3 still. I still didn't think it was that bad.

That was Chikezie's best moment but I'll bet it was his peak and he won't gain it back.

I don't see what others see in the Irish chick. It was a common and tepid "Come Together."

Janis Joplin's shtik is now officially "old." She's a top-notch bar-band chick though.

Castro will stay in it. Never underestimate the fact that it's still a popularity contest in a large respect.

Christy is a goner. Hernandez is a goner.