• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill K too busy in Hawaii....?

i think he is in costa rica with mike gordon and steve kimcock

Deadheads for Obama

Grateful Dead Members to Reunite for Barack Obama

(San Francisco) Members of the Grateful Dead will host a get out the vote concert in support of Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama on Monday, February 4th at The Warfield Theatre in San Francisco.

Mickey Hart, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir, joined by Jackie Greene, John Molo, and Steve Molitz, will play show together in support of Barack Obama.

The video website Iclips will be producing a live simulcast streamed via the Internet on http://www.iclips.net at approximately 7:30pm PST.

This will mark the first time that the members of the legendary band have performed together since 2004. They have agreed to reunite for this one-time-only event in order to lend support to Senator Obama leading into the crucial

why do they always have to have a bunch of players with them? i would love to see bob, phil, mickey, bill with bruce hornsby and steve kimock. that would be a true tribute. as a rule, hornsby sings all the garcia tunes and bruce only plays piano.

craig

why do they always have to have a bunch of players with them? i would love to see bob, phil, mickey, bill with bruce hornsby and steve kimock. that would be a true tribute. as a rule, hornsby sings all the garcia tunes and bruce only plays piano.

craig

I think there was some falling out between them when they did "The Dead" thing at Alpine. "Dick Clark Presents The Dead" is how Hornsby saw it if I remember right...

I think there was some falling out between them when they did "The Dead" thing at Alpine. "Dick Clark Presents The Dead" is how Hornsby saw it if I remember right...

theres actually a rumor that their going out with hornsby this summer; this was very last min.

Vince was not "invited" to join them on stage, either. He showed up anyway with hopes they'd bring him into the fold to play but they shunned him. He ended up playing in the parking lot.

Pretty lame of them.

I saw Jackie's birthday show in November and it was an awesome 5 hour marathon. It felt like Phil was really passing the torch on to him. Can hardly wait to see the playing in the band on Monday night...thank you Wendy! Hope Billy catches that plane but its pretty cold and rainy here so....we'll see.

Vince was not "invited" to join them on stage, either. He showed up anyway with hopes they'd bring him into the fold to play but they shunned him. He ended up playing in the parking lot.

Pretty lame of them.

I had heard that Phil thought Hornsby was taking too much of a leadership role in the band, but you know how rumors go. its a shame, cause the Other Ones with Phil, Weir, Hart and Hornsby was fantastic. Hornsby is probably the best keyboard player the Dead ever had (sorry Brent) and he sung those Jerry songs with great love and emotion.

As far as the Vince Welnick thing goes, well he was never my favorite player (or singer, or songwriter) but I did get to share the stage with him for a "Shakedown" and "Goin Down the Road" about 6 months before his death and the guy was a complete wreck. I think he and Jerry had a little too much in common for the other guys taste if you know what I mean.

I think I read somewhere that Bob was cautious about him due to the fact that he attempted suicide on the bus while on tour.

That's what I've read. Vince basically was ostracized from the inner circle because of issues. He apparently took Garcia's death very hard and struggled with substances and mental health issues after 1995. I just remember reading that GD management wouldn't return emails/phone calls to him even, and though it was a little callous. Then again, that's one angle/side.

I had heard that Phil thought Hornsby was taking too much of a leadership role in the band, but you know how rumors go. its a shame, cause the Other Ones with Phil, Weir, Hart and Hornsby was fantastic. Hornsby is probably the best keyboard player the Dead ever had (sorry Brent) and he sung those Jerry songs with great love and emotion.

As far as the Vince Welnick thing goes, well he was never my favorite player (or singer, or songwriter) but I did get to share the stage with him for a "Shakedown" and "Goin Down the Road" about 6 months before his death and the guy was a complete wreck. I think he and Jerry had a little too much in common for the other guys taste if you know what I mean.

I haven't heard/read anything like that regarding Hornsby, just that Hornsby has always wanted to maintain his own successful career. And just to note: Hornsby=baby grand piano and accordian; Brent=keys. I liked Hornsby's stuff with the GD quite a bit but I'll take Brent every time.

Cool you got to play with Vince. I've met him several times as he played my friend's bar a few times (in fact he was slated to play the night after or night of his death and I didn't find out 'til I was down at the bar for the show). He would always hang around for a good chunk of the day having drinks with us and was always humble, gracious, and affable. One of the guys.

Regardless, it's nice to see Weir and Lesh being big boys and sharing a stage again.

I haven't heard/read anything like that regarding Hornsby, just that Hornsby has always wanted to maintain his own successful career

Thats what I always figured as well. You know how rumors go, and they started around the same time Phil was having a rift with Bobby, Mickey and Bill over business.

Vince certainly was a hell of a nice guy, and very friendly. He was playing with my friends band, Gent Treadly, at the time. He came into this bar where we were having a benefit, saw all the pictures of Jerry and the Dead and got very emotional. Perhaps he was just too fragile for this world. :ohwell

Vince certainly was a hell of a nice guy, and very friendly. He was playing with my friends band, Gent Treadly, at the time.

I've seen Vince with them. Gent Treadly's a very good band, too. I've seen them a bunch out here. A few times with Buddy Cage and a few times with Willie Waldman.

They've got ties to Banyan, too (willie). Nels plays in Banyan from time to time. Full circle.

I've seen Vince with them. Gent Treadly's a very good band, too. I've seen them a bunch out here. A few times with Buddy Cage and a few times with Willie Waldman.

Sadly, my friend Mike who played keys with them passed away a little over a year ago. Buddy's also a friend of mine as well. Was just hanging with him recently backstage at a New Riders show. I gave his wife a ride to the gig!

I think I read somewhere that Bob was cautious about him due to the fact that he attempted suicide on the bus while on tour.

i remember talking about this alot when vince died. he was a member of the band as far as i am concerned. in less time than it took brent he was playing his tunes with the band, and in the second set no less!! (which i hated by the way. samba would have been a great first set tune.) anyway, addicts have a tendency to burn all their bridges, so you can't blame weir. he was taking care of himself.

the rumor about hornsby and the band playing this summer sounds great! he really makes the jerry songs his own and i love 'em. way better than bobby trying to sing them and essentially butchering them in his jazzy dead cover band.

now, the ego issue just kills me because it fucks up the music. other ones were great, but i could have done without mark karan. he's no kimock and never plays any solos, just noodles. also, it seems like they only agree to play together if weir can bring some of his boys and phil does the same. this sucks! too much keyboard and guitar. i am not looking for a cover band and i want to hear weir in the mix with some spacey exploratory guitar work by kimock. please please. oh, and no warren haynes.

whew.

craig :thumbup

craig

The rift between Phil and Steve is evidently irrepairable. I remember when Phil was doing his book signing he had some q&a but he steadfastly refused to talk about Steve at all. :ohwell

Damn Mike , you know Cage too? How's David doing? I miss him big time!

That's what I've read. Vince basically was ostracized from the inner circle because of issues. He apparently took Garcia's death very hard and struggled with substances and mental health issues after 1995. I just remember reading that GD management wouldn't return emails/phone calls to him even, and though it was a little callous. Then again, that's one angle/side.

on the flip, that would never happen to garcia. he was the guy who needed some tough love and time off, but the money machine killed him.

craig

I don't think I have ever really really heard a Ratdog song - even though they play up the road from me at some hippie fest every summer. Speaking of all this sort of thing - I have always been curious as to how and why Phil had that album out on Columbia a few years ago. I am thinking it must have been a one shot deal. I really have a heard time listening to anything that has to do with all these dudes that is not 67-74 Grateful Dead - and that is just the way it is.

Damn Mike , you know Cage too? How's David doing? I miss him big time!

Nelson is as crazy as a loon! :thumbup Those guys actually sound pretty good these days and they're really going at it. They've been touring ahell of a lot. It really re-invigorated those guys. Michael Falzarano from Hot Tuna is playing with them as well.

Nelson is as crazy as a loon! :thumbup Those guys actually sound pretty good these days and they're really going at it. They've been touring ahell of a lot. It really re-invigorated those guys. Michael Falzarano from Hot Tuna is playing with them as well.

He's a really great guy. I've had the pleasure of having dinner with him and the rest of the DNB a few years back. You can tell why Jerry loved him so much - he's a fountain of information on a wide variety of subjects.

I loves me some NRPS but the DNB is one of my favorite bands ever. I've caught them a couple of dozen times. Pete Sears is a fantastic player but I really really miss Billy Laymon. He's easily the nicest guy in rxr I've ever met. I hope and pray he's doing better.