Nels in LA Times Sunday Magazine

Pretty funny to open up the paper and see this:

Gibson Robot Guitar: Forever In Tune?

Photographs by Wendy Sue Lamm

34978881.jpg

The Gibson Robot Guitar, first-run limited edition in blue silverburst with nitrocellulose finish, $2,499, at www.gibson.com.

Wilco guitarist Nels Cline puts the new self-tuning wonder through its paces.

By Thierry Peremarti

Guitarists often muse that one spends more time tuning one

Fuck that guitar. If guitar manufacturers continue on this path, in ten years, new guitarists won't even bother to learn how tune because their guitar does it for them.

I suppose we should go back to the days of growing our own wheat, making our own pasta and building our own furniture. Hey we should even start washing our babies diapers too.

The great thing about technology is that it affords you more time to do what you want to do. Less time is spent on one-offing frameworks, tuning guitars and more time is spent on creating music. I do not view this as a bad thing.

Guest Speed Racer

The act of tuning is imprecise, and that is exactly why I love it. (I never really had an opinion on the matter until an alternative became available, mind you.) Recordings and performances shouldn't be technically perfect all the time - at least, I don't think so. There's something to be said for that raucous final (improptu! I pay attention here) encore, when the voices are hoarse, the guitars are out of tune, and the drummer has passed out on the kit.