Neutral Milk Hotel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i will probably get busted for this, but i have had this LP for years and it is still in the plastic wrapping. i havent listened to it. i was waiting to get a record player and now that i have one i still havent listened to it. guess im waiting for the right moment because i have a feeling it will be pretty magical.

ok, i will probably get busted for this, but i have had this LP for years and it is still in the plastic wrapping. i havent listened to it. i was waiting to get a record player and now that i have one i still havent listened to it. guess im waiting for the right moment because i have a feeling it will be pretty magical.

What better time than now?

(assuming you are not at work or otherwise separated from both it, Aeroplane, and/or your turntable or are at this very moment, being chased by a pack of aggressive, vengeful marmots.)

You could be hit by a bus before ever having listened to it for Christ

Some albums hit me and some don't. I have "On Avery Island" and "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" and I put them on every so often to see if I have changed my mind but they just don't inspire me like other albums do.

I remember getting "Aeroplane" when it first came out and getting Olivia Tremor Control's "Dusk at Cubist Castle" around the same time. I was blown away by the OTC album and listened to it for months. Everything I wrote musically for those few weeks after, was inspired by "Dusk at Cubist Castle."

I will continue to put on the Neutral Milk Hotel albums throughout the years in hope of it clicking some day.

edit: actually, looking at the release dates, I must have had the Avery Island and Dusk at the same time. Aeroplane came out in 98 so I must have had the Dusk hangover still going while trying to get on the Aeroplane a few years later.

Some albums hit me and some don't. I have "On Avery Island" and "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" and I put them on every so often to see if I have changed my mind but they just don't inspire me like other albums do.

I felt similarly.

Back in the day when I would check out records in listening booths "Areoplane" never really moved me enough to pull the trigger on it.

Then one day a friend was spinning it in the background as we were making dinner. I found myself drifting off to discover what was playing.

It was then that it "clicked". I abandoned the kitchen leaving her to finish with the meal preparations; ( not that I was much help anyway), found myself on the floor in front of the speakers taking it all in.

It's been a fav. ever since.

Both NMH albums have messed me up since I first heard them.

I don't necesssarily understand the lyrics, but I understand the emotions.

And they completely mess me up.

Completely love that band.

This is the only album that makes me so completely emotional just about every time I listen to it. Sure, London Calling makes me grin from ear to ear whenever it's on, YHF puts me in a trance, and several other albums have a similar effect.

But there is no other album out there that has quite the same effect on me as In The Aeroplane. Frankly, I do not believe there will ever be another album quite the same. And as much as I'd give both testicles to see Jeff Mangum performing these songs at a place like Schuba's, I almost hope he never comes back to the music biz and lets this album continue to have that feeling of finality surrounding it.

I enjoy Aeroplane... but also think it gets a lot more credit than it's due. I think the mystery surrounding the band/lead singer dude adds a mystique to the album that people enjoy.

I'm not saying that people who love the album aren't justified but for me the hype supercedes the content. Still, a decent album.

This album still hasn't clicked with me. :ermm

Well, that's because you are dead on the inside.

I'm glad the dirthugger and I have found some common ground. This album kicks my ass for many of the same reasons, but also for completely different reasons.

We probably shouldn

I had On Avery Island a year or so before Aeroplane came out.

Avery Island was already one of my favorite albums at that time and, to be frank, I thought it was superior to its follow-up. Over the years, that has changed. Actually, it took about a year for that to change. The second album is a more completely realized document, as a whole. Although nothing quite reaches the heights of "Song Against Sex".

I did see the band (twice) and they did not disappoint. For some of us it has never been the mystique. We're the ones who created the mystique, I guess.

Every bit of praise heaped upon this band is deserved. Just clicks with some and not with others, I guess.

the beauty with this album (which i heard after not having heard it for awhile this morning when thinking about this thread)

is that it truly exemplifies the concept of quality over quantity, in both the musical and especially the lyrical sense.

in other words, i have always mentioned to someone that isn't a virtuoso on the guitar (as it's been mentioned to me)

that has long as you know your basic chords and that magic three finger power chord,

and if you couple that with a sufficient sense of creativity and invention, you can write a perfect song.

after listening to the album, i sat down with my cheap Giannini Spanish guitar and played along to practically every guitar note on the album.

Mangum stays in the C, G, F, E, A, B and D realm throughout the whole album.

and this both surprises me and fills me with a feeling of joy

because i realized i'm playing the same old chords i play when i fuck around on the guitar,

yet this guy manages to write these beautiful songs, using a simple E major to C major chord progression, for example.

it's an album made of the simplest chords with melodic singing

and the most unique and utterly brilliant melodic instrumentation

(which pretty much makes the album and gives Mangum's songs wings. Jeremy's drumming is on fire)

the tricky thing is that that isn't an easy feat.

sure, it's easy to play along to, guitarwise, but writing and composing an album like this one seldom comes easy.

Mangum obviously was and is a gifted songwriter and a subtle master at it.

it's just amazing what can be done with those simple chords we learn when we first learn guitar.

guess im waiting for the right moment because i have a feeling it will be pretty magical.

How can it possibly live up to that?

My advice: Listen to it now, as just another record, nothing more nothing less. If it contains magic that magic will reveal itself to you. (I love it.)

I actually don't like this record at all. Ordinarily I'm on the same page as the critical community when it comes to indie-folk stuff, but I just don't see anything here that's even remotely remarkable, try as I might. Mangum's performances on the disc are unexceptional - there are lots of shrieky off-key vocals and there's nothing remarkable or terribly emotive in terms of the music, at least not to my ear. The songwriting has always seemed scattershot and maybe even adolescent to me; it seems to suggest depth where I can't see that any exists. I find it frustrating that so many artists and listeners whose opinions I respect regard Aeroplane so highly, but at least somebody's getting something out of it.