Neutral Milk Hotel

Listening to this now.

Dear god, how I love this record.

It's one of those pieces of music that I can genuinely, sincerely, and with no exaggeration say has made my life a better, more beautiful place.

I agree 110%. I can't imagine my life without this record. I truly is my favorite record of all-time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it. Listened to it about 3 times. Nothings clicked yet. It is ok so far but I was expectig more. :ermm

This is pretty much par for the course, with a lot of people it takes a quite a few listens before it sinks in.

--Mike

I enjoy Aeroplane... but also think it gets a lot more credit than it's due. I think the mystery surrounding the band/lead singer dude adds a mystique to the album that people enjoy.

I'm not saying that people who love the album aren't justified but for me the hype supercedes the content. Still, a decent album.

I'm in this same boat. I do think it is a good album, and maybe it's just because I haven't been completely emotionally blown over by the album, but I just don't rank this one up in my top tier of favorite albums. For emotional content/passion Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" easily knocks over Aeroplane for me.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I wonder if it would be one of my favorite albums of all time if I bought it and started listening to it expecting it to be one of my favorite albums of all time. The fact that it came a bit out of nowhere for me, and whalloped me on the head, really helped. I didn't know much about the aura or the praise surrounding it. Part of its beauty is understated. Everyone going crazy for it might remove some of that understand beauty.

I see what you are saying Matt. I probably missed the boat by oh 10 years on this one. :moo

I missed the boat for awhile too, though. I discovered it only a couple of years ago. But when I did, it was by a friend giving it to me saying "here, try this, it's great." I didnt realize there was a whole religion surrounding the album. :)

Communist Daugther from Aeroplane Over The Sea is what sucked me into that album.

That song's great.....only to be amazingly outdone by the following song "Oh Comely".

Knowing it was based off Mangum reading the Diary of Anne Frank only adds to its mystery and intrigue. I was so-so on the album when I bought it years ago, but it's definitely one of my all-time favorites.

There's a fairly lengthy article on Pitchfork regarding the album with write up's from other artists whose music or lives were influenced and/or enriched by Aeroplane.

The link:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...ne-over-the-sea

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm...............I've never heard of one of those bands interviewed in this article.

Have I lost complete touch with today's music (which is entirely possible since commerical radio is dead to me and any college stations nearby play crap or classic rock) or did the authors interview completely obscure bands/artists?

Whatever the case, I've found myself humming about a two headed boy lately :thumbup

We recently brought this album back to rotation in my house because of all the Colin Meloy parallels and how much Decemberists we listen to. I always thought Aeroplane was a good album, and still do. But when I compare it to The Crain Wife or even Picaresque, I feel the apprentice outdid the teacher. Maybe it is because I am so driven by seeing bands live (although that Pitchfork article makes seeing NMH a possibly creepy experience) and the D's are so good live that I love them even more. Like other comments here, I enjoy Aeroplane, it is certainly not in my top 25 or one that demands to be played all the time, but I call it a great album.

But when I compare it to The Crain Wife or even Picaresque, I feel the apprentice outdid the teacher.

Take what I am about to say with a grain of salt because I truly believe that you are entitled to your own opinion:

You are crazy.

:)

Take what I am about to say with a grain of salt because I truly believe that you are entitled to your own opinion:

You are crazy.

:)

I dig the Decemberists way more than Neutral Milk..not that I don't enjoy Neutral Milk. I must be crazy too :stunned

NMH are The Beatles to The Decemberists' Badfinger.

And just as with the older bands, I love them both.

I love this album. It haunts me. Everytime it gets mentioned the songs awake in my head and get stuck there for a few hours. I know what I shall be listening to on my lunch break now. :)

This thread has inspired me to add some of these songs to my list of songs to learn to play on guitar. Particurlary Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Any suggestions other ones that are fun to play?