The Loft Whereabouts

One night, me and my friend Jeff decided to go find the Dischord house (in DC, so we thought anyway). We got distracted along the way and never made it, which is fine, since the address we were headed to (listed on the back of the records) was actually Ian MacKaye's mom's house, not the fabled Dischord house (which was in Arlington VA). True, boring story.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not bad

Although - I do have a bullentin board above my computer command center - it has a Let It Be (The Beatles that is) photo on it - it's been there for about 15 years now, a Dylan Nashville Skyline photo, and a lighthouse calendar.

Is that a lighthouse calendar from 15 years ago, or a more current one?

Is that a lighthouse calendar from 15 years ago, or a more current one?

It's a current one - but you are right - in order to someday complete my transition to the past (Time and Again), I will need an old one.

I have nothing on my walls - I like them to look like an institution.

All I really wanted was a Pepsi, and Aman wouldn't give it to me.

I understand the curiosity and to document that you were somewhere important to all of us who love the band. But I hope you would agree that that info needs to stay private because their are odd people in this world whose intentions may not be so benign and anyone who would divulge that info and then something bad happens would never forgive themselves. I have some friends here in Okc who line not far from Wayne coyne of the flaming lips. I know where he lives but respect his privacy and realize that giving that info out or encroaching on his space is not cool. I mean no disrespect, just my unsolicited opinion. Feel free to disregard.

If someone were to encroach upon Coyne's privacy, it would be nobody's fault but his own. All you have to do is zoom into the piece of fan mail that he's opening in the "Fearless Freaks" film and do a Mapquest. Seems like they would have edited that bit out.

Also, whether or not one wishes to divulge this information is their choice, but the fact of the matter is that no one owns the public space outside of their apartment, house or Loft and can not prevent another person, regardless of intention, from going there. The media laws that dictate what's legal to photograph, for example, dictate that anything that you can see with the naked eye from a vantage point that exists in a public place (i.e. a sidewalk outside of the Loft, for example) is fair game. Like someone said about Abbey Road, it's just healthy fan curiosity. It's not like Wilco is conducting the Manhattan Project II inside or anything, and if they were that concerned about it, they would have been more careful in choosing what they revealed in IATTBYH.

If someone were to encroach upon Coyne's privacy, it would be nobody's fault but his own. All you have to do is zoom into the piece of fan mail that he's opening in the "Fearless Freaks" film and do a Mapquest. Seems like they would have edited that bit out.

or do a public records search on the Oklahoma County site.

not that I've done that or anything.

All I really wanted was a Pepsi, and Aman wouldn't give it to me.

You're the one that's crazy!!!!

It's just something that does not go over well - as you can see:

I suppose you have to look at as - what if people showed up where you work or sleep - just to look around or whatever.

There is a scary element out there that doesn't understand the boundries between artist and audience.

Over on RMAS (an usenet board for Springsteen) there is an individual who put together a video of all the important places in Northern New Jersey that are Springsteencentric (i.e., the gate to his compound, the school where his kids go to school, the house where he grew up, etc.). This individual couldn't believe that anybody would take offense at such an intrusion.

Fame is as insidious a drug as there is. Artists do crave it, but have to give up a large degree of the normalcy of real life.

Querying the location of the Loft, Jeff's home address, or Wayne Coyne's home address gets into an area that we all probably feel instictively uncomfortable with, but probably would revel in said knowledge.

Also, whether or not one wishes to divulge this information is their choice, but the fact of the matter is that no one owns the public space outside of their apartment, house or Loft and can not prevent another person, regardless of intention, from going there. The media laws that dictate what's legal to photograph, for example, dictate that anything that you can see with the naked eye from a vantage point that exists in a public place (i.e. a sidewalk outside of the Loft, for example) is fair game. Like someone said about Abbey Road, it's just healthy fan curiosity. It's not like Wilco is conducting the Manhattan Project II inside or anything, and if they were that concerned about it, they would have been more careful in choosing what they revealed in IATTBYH.

Ever since Mark David Chapman got John Lennon to sign that album, the rules are different.

Also - The fact that he/the band is very open and accommodating to interacting with fans should lead one to believe that when they are not on tour or whatever, they should just be left alone.

I have met and spoken to him/the band several times - but I always try to remember that he does not have to do such things - and that if people start hassling him/the band - they may very well stop being so accommodating.

Ya, know..you are probably right and perhaps the location of the loft should be better know. The fact is lots of people DO know where the loft is (and unlike Abbey Road it is not really all that much to see), so those NOT in the know only need to be patient, talk to the right people at the right time and chances are you will find out where it is. Frankly it ain't much to see. Another clue.....there is space for rent in the building...find a building with a for rent sign on it and there you go.

LouieB

I must admit, after Elvis Costello signed his My Aim Is True album for me, I was a little disappointed the autograph wasn't neater.

circa My Aim Is True, Elvis came into the record store I worked in..... There was a bit of a tradition of artists signing the wall. Although he was unknown to most of the people who worked there, I asked him if he would sign the wall (along with a copy of the album for me) and he did. The next day when I got to work, it was gone. The maintenance guy had painted over it, since he thought some kid must have scribbled on the wall.

Ya, know..you are probably right and perhaps the location of the loft should be better know. The fact is lots of people DO know where the loft is (and unlike Abbey Road it is not really all that much to see), so those NOT in the know only need to be patient, talk to the right people at the right time and chances are you will find out where it is. Frankly it ain't much to see. Another clue.....there is space for rent in the building...find a building with a for rent sign on it and there you go.

LouieB

I'd love to rent the space for an art studio, then I could bang on the ceiling with a broom handle when those darn kids start up with the racket!

I wouldn't personally do something like go out of my way to find the loft, but if I happened to be passing by I might snap a photo. I've done likewise at locations like Electric Lady Studios and The Dakota entrance where Lennon was shot, along with "the crossroads" in Clarksdale, MS, "thumbing a ride" for a cheesy photo op. It's always awkward to approach celebrities, as it has been on the occasions that I've met the likes of Tweedy or Paul Westerberg. I understand people's desire to keep the location a guarded secret, especially the Chicago folks that feel like they're privy to some super-secret information, but ultimately there are no real "rules"; we all reserve the right to make asses of ourselves, and when you reach a certain level of fame, it's to be expected. Just don't shoot anyone.