Article: Making a case for Jay Farrar

I still put Jay's voice above just about anyone else in the genre.

And, Trace still gets more play, experiences more rotations than just about any other disk in my No Depression catalog. If there is anything negative to be said about Jay and/or Son Volt, it is that he/they never quite lived up to the potential hinted at on the instant classic that is Trace

I so agree with the above statement, and for the matter who actually said Farrar wasn't a part of the "elite" team. If you ask me with all due respect to Jeff Tweedy and a few others, Farrar created the team.

Yeah, if Uncle Tupelo is to be credited with putting alt-country on the map (rightly or wrongly), Jay would definitely be the capital, its center.

As much as I love Jeff now, I must admit to habitually skipping a few of the UT tracks that featured his vocals

A pointless article. Seems like the writer is trying to make a case for a debate that no one is advancing. I'd agree that on the basis of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt's Trace he's considered one of the elites of alt-country even if nothing he's done since Trace has matched its brilliance. Still, this is kind of silly. Who decides the elite and why does it really matter?

The Byrds were mainstream fluff and the Burrito Brothers were boring. There's nothing alternative about either act.

Incorrect on both counts.

You've apparently never heard Sweetheart of the Rodeo. You can't tell me that's "mainstream fluff."

A pointless article. Seems like the writer is trying to make a case for a debate that no one is advancing. I'd agree that on the basis of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt's Trace he's considered one of the elites of alt-country even if nothing he's done since Trace has matched its brilliance. Still, this is kind of silly. Who decides the elite and why does it really matter?

And for that matter, what is "alt-country" anyway? Does anyone even use that term with a straight face anymore?

Very mainstream. I'd give more credit to Townes Van Zandt on stuff like "Our Mother the Mountain" and "The Late Great Townes Van Zandt". There was nothing alternative sounding about the vocals or instrumentation of the Byrds. It had a very poppy west coast sound that fit right in on standard pop stations.

Standard pop stations?!!? You do realize that album barely sold any copies, right?

Was his place in that "elite" in doubt? :unsure

His Uncle Tupelo output alone put him there ... and his Son Volt and solo careers have kept him there, albeit with somewhat less fanfare than Mssrs. Tweedy or Adams.

Really...actually this is kind of dumb article..

I didn't know there was even a debate.
Yea, me either...

No love for the NRPS? SF hippies doin straight-up truck drivin' country - I think that's pretty alt, man. :thumbup
I do.....

The Byrds were mainstream fluff and the Burrito Brothers were boring. There's nothing alternative about either act.

Let's assume this is a joke and move on......

LouieB