Tower Theater, Philadelphia, PA 02/23/08

Just got back. I'm not extremely familiar with their live act so I don't know how good the show was in comparison to others, but for what it was it was incredible. Can't remember the set off the top of my head as I wasn't keeping track. Opener was Sunken Treasure, and the main set closer was OAOAO. Off the top of my head they also played (in no particular order) Kamera, ITMWLY, Impossible Germany, Jesus Etc., ALTWYS, and Handshake Drugs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT WAS FUCKING RELIGIOUS!!!!

I got a gift from god handed to me in the form of a 15th row seat in exchange for my balcony seat. A couple had been split up and the guy asked if I would trade with his fiance so they could sit together. I obliged, although I had to leave my Dad upstairs, he wasn't too upset considering I paid for the show.

Anyway, they started off quiet. Sunken Treasure, Remember the Mountain Bed, Airline To Heaven, Hesitating Beauty. From there, hmmm. You Are My Face, Shot in the Arm, She's a Jar (HELL YEAH), Via Chicago, Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again) (DOUBLE HELL YEAH), Jesus Etc, Walken, Kamera, On and On and On, I'm the Man Who Loves You (not so thrilled with the new version of that one), encore of Hate It Here, Red-Eyed & Blue/I Got You (HELL FUCKING YEAH), and Hoodoo Voodoo. I'm forgetting something.

Killer show. Unfortunately I'll never see The Band in concert, but I'm willing to bet it was a whole hell of a lot like seeing Wilco.

Amazing.

They really reached back into the catalog! They played a lot of Mermaid Ave songs. They opened with "Sunken Treasure" and then went into "Remember the Mountain Bed," "Hesitating Beauty" and "Airline to Heaven" (I don't remember the exact order). From there I believe they jumped into "Muzzle of Bees."

The band seemed in great form, and Jeff made some hilarious JT trademark wisecracks. They played with way more energy than I was expecting so soon after the Residency.

They played for nearly two hours and it was one of the more interesting set lists I've seen them do. For me some of the standout numbers were: all the Guthrie tunes mentioned above, "Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)," "Red Eyed and Blue," "Muzzle of Bees," and "At Least That's What You Said." But overall there didn't seem to me to be a dud song the whole night.

After they played "Hate it Here" for the encore, Jeff hinted that they might play it on SNL.

I think my favorite number of the whole night might have been "Hoodoo Voodoo," which closed the encore (they did just one encore). They played it with a lot of energy, and it featured an amazing guitar duel by Nels and Pat (I must say, Pat really held his own against the big guy!).

Overall it was an amazing show!

I'm pretty sure there was a taper. I saw what looked like a standard bootleg rig right next to Front House mixing zone, but I'm not sure if it was a bootlegger, or something set up by the band.

Oh also, no "Spiders" or "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" but who cares, they more than compensated!

----30-----

here's what i remember:

sunken treasure

mountain bed

airline

hesitating beauty

muzzle of bees

you are my face

handshake drugs

side with the seed

shot in the arm

she's a jar

jesus etc.

nothing'sever

at least that's what you said

via chicago

impossible germany

hummingbird

pot kettle black

ITMWLY

Walken

hate it here

on and on

red eyed and blue

i got you

hoodoo voodoo

jeff said they were happy to finally be playing a philly show with a roof over their heads, that the foo fighters suck, and not to forget to watch SNL next week

good to have them come to town after so long

Just got home, What A Great Show! Highlights were the Guthrie opening and the raucous version of Hoodoo Voodoo. Pat and Nels really tore it up with the old dueling guitars finale. Only my 3rd show and each time they throw some different stuff at you, and I always leave wanting more. Great to hear Pot Kettle, and Jeff singing On and On sans guitar.

I wasn't at the the show, but my sources say...

Sunken Treasure

Remember the Mountain Bed

Airline to Heaven

Hesitating Beauty

Muzzle of Bees

You Are My Face

Side With The Seeds

Shot in the Arm

She's a Jar

Kamera

Handshake Drugs

At Least That's What You Said

Pot Kettle Black

Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Jesus, Etc.

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

On and On and On

-----------

Hate It Here

Red-Eyed and Blue >

I Got You

Hoodoo Voodoo

Longtime listener and this was my first show...wow. Im not too sure that I've ever seen musicianship of that caliber in my life, and Ive been to quite a few shows.

I had the same experience Markosis had; 2 couples were split, (one downstairs, one on the balcony) and wanted to sit together. So instead of the balcony my friend and I ended up in the 13th row. The setlist was excellent. Personal favorites were probably Shot in the Arm (got everyone standing, thank God...I still dont know how people sit), Via Chicago, and Hate it Here. Jeff and Nels were great at the end of Handshake Drugs; that was a highlight. Actually they were all great but I thought that was worth mentioning.

A bit off-topic, but for anyone else there: how shocking and annoying was the complete lack of taxi's outside the venue? What the hell was up with that? Sure didnt take away from a great night though.

I had been trying to score a ticket since they went on sale with absolutely no luck, so as a last resort I decided to stake out the venue in hopes of finding somebody with an extra ticket.

I wasn't the only one. Among other people, I met a couple who drove all the way here from BUFFALO, NEW YORK (a 6-and-a-half hour drive) without tickets in hopes that they would score a pair. I told them that they could have dibs over me. Turns out that none of us had a problem getting tickets. I got mine for face value, and the guy selling it didn't even make me pay the Ticketbastard "conveninence" charge!

I also met another couple who had gotten tickets from a friend who works at the venue, and also got to meet the band and watch the soundcheck. The band members, they claimed, were very sweet. At soundcheck they played Heavy Metal Drummer and Impossible Germany.

The atmosphere where I was in the lower balcony kind of sucked. I think I was the only one standing there. I tried in vain to get the people around me into the music to no avail. Eventually I got so sick of it I left to watch from the area in between the lower balcony and loge. While there, I met a woman who claimed to have a horrible experience with security in which they asked her to leave her seat because they didn't believe she was sitting there, and told her to follow her. They proceeded to lead her all around the venue before going back to a seat two rows away from where she originally was. I find it kind of hard to believe, but I guess anything's possible, especially considering what I saw...

During On And On And On, a security guard went up to a bunch of people in the loge who were standing and actually ordered them to sit back down! I pointed out the ridiculousness of this to the woman standing next to me (not the same one who had the bizarre security guard experience) and she told me she actually thought that was illegal. During the encore I moved to the rail of the loge (surprisingly, security didn't do anything about it) where I remained for the rest of the show.

The set started off very heavy in folk-rock feel and eventually progressed towards an edgier rock feel. Sunken Treasures isn't that great of an opener IMO...I think something like I'm a Wheel would work better in that position. There wasn't a particular highlight for me, though I really enjoyed the Nels/Pat guitar duel in Hoodoo Voodoo. Nels's solo in Impossible Germany was perhaps a bit too similar to the studio version, but good nonetheless. I'm not gonna pretend I know a whole lot about the band because that's far from the case, but for what it was the show was incredible.

This was the best concert I've ever been to. I'll elaborate more tomorrow, after some much-needed sleep.

I briefly met Jeff not too long after the show, then froze my ass off waiting for the others. I got to say hi to Glenn and Pat and Mikael, and talked to Nels for a little bit. They were all so tired, so it was terrific of them to hang around for a few minutes. I don't know if I missed John or if he hadn't come out before I left, but it was one by then, and I needed to get home. I figured I'd drive for awhile then stop somewhere for the night, but I was so excited that I drove the whole four hours home.

What an amazing night!

Too tired to post much, but it was amazing, the sound was fantastic!! Have to say thanks to the band, they played my request Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)!!

Only complaint is dancing was frowned upon up in the lodge area, but we banded together with the people in front of us and danced anyway. Thank you Wilco!

No Spiders and Late Greats made me very happy!!! Would much rather hear the much rarer gems like She's A Jar and Nothingsevergonna...... :dancing .

Shocked that they didn't play IATTBYH, but it that's what it took for me to hear a full band Mountainbed, I'm all for it!!!

Crowd was very lame up the balcony, but that's what you're gonna get in a theatre like that, the extremely mellow start to the show didn't help the crowd vibe (even though it was perfect for me).

Balcony was an interesting change, but it'll be sweet to be back up front tonight in New Haven!!!! If you're reading this yankeehotelfox (aka Ct Dave), I'm on my way back now.

here's what i remember:

sunken treasure

mountain bed

airline

hesitating beauty

muzzle of bees

you are my face

handshake drugs

side with the seed

shot in the arm

she's a jar

jesus etc.

nothing'sever

at least that's what you said

via chicago

impossible germany

hummingbird

pot kettle black

ITMWLY

Walken

hate it here

on and on

red eyed and blue

i got you

hoodoo voodoo

jeff said they were happy to finally be playing a philly show with a roof over their heads, that the foo fighters suck, and not to forget to watch SNL next week

good to have them come to town after so long

That is the setlist pretty much dead on from what I remember. I haven't seen them live since '05 in Philly. I was really wowed by the musicianship and all the layers of stuff going on. You can kind of hear it on the record, but until you see it live with the 6 of them, it's actually kind of almost like seeing a great orchestra.

All that being said, I'd only rate it a 7-8 on a scale of 10 for a few reasons:

First - the setlist in general. Call me an old curmudgeon, but considering they just played the whole catalog last week, I thought we'd get a few more songs off A.M. or Being There. They still could have played the same kind of show and just tweaked things a little. I knew they were going to play at least 6 songs from the new album, which they did and they sounded great. And I thought they did a great job substituting "Nothingsever...." and "Pot Kettle Black" in place of "I'm Always in Love" and "War on War", which they seemed to have played so much the last 5+ years. And "Hesitating Beauty" was a nice choice from Mermaid Ave. That's one they don't play that often these days.

But I seriously think I've heard "I'm the Man Who Loves You" at every show I've seen with Tweedy solo or the band since 2000. And pretty much on every bootleg I have obtained since then too. Ditto for "Red Eyed and Blue > I Got You"....except I could say the same for that since 1997 and "Shot in the Arm" and "She's a Jar" since 1999. And "Sunken Treasure" also seems to get played at ever show I was at. And I don't think it's a good choice for an opener. It seems to me to be a good song to open an encore with to slow things down after you end the regular set with a rocker. I love the song, but.....

I love all of those songs, but given what everyone knows they just did in Chicago, I thought it would have been nice if they had thrown a "Box Full of Letters" (which they haven't played in Philly since 1997), "I Must Be High", "Monday" or "ELT" or something along those lines into the set at those points. Those songs in the set I've just heard them do so often. Maybe I've just been out of the loop on what they've been playing lately and these songs are just making it back into the sets after disappearing for awhile. And I'm also not a big fan of "Hoodoo Voodoo" and really don't see the point of playing "On and On and On", especially as a set closer. Oh well. I guess I'd like to see them throw a bone to the fans who were with them before 1999 and still enjoy those older songs.

I was on the fence about going to this show, because it seems most of the tickets went to ticket agents and not fans, as it sold out in less than a minute after going on sale. I wish they would have asked for a show of hands at the venue to see who actually was able to pay list price to see this show. My guess is 25% or less of all attendees. But I bucked up and paid $90 each (for $30 tickets) for my wife and I to go, partly because I thought I'd hear some old songs and rarities that they haven't played in awhile, given the fact that they were rehearsing and playing everything in the catalog the week before.

My other complaint was that Jeff did say early on that they had a "long program" prepared for everyone since they hadn't played Philly in a while. Meanwhile, they ended up playing just the standard 2-hr set that they always play here. Jeff's solo gig here was about that long...and that's with him singing every word and playing every note himself. When he came out for the encore at about 1:45 into the set, he said something like, "Well, we have to get out of here in a few minutes, so we're going to have to cut this short" or words to that effect. Well, if you know the curfew for the venue is 11pm and want to play for 2:15 or 2:30, then go on earlier. Move up the start time to 7:30 rather than 8 or something.

I guess those are minor complaints in the grand scheme of things. It was still a very good show. But it would have been a great show in my eyes if those things were tweaked a little bit. I think I've seen the band 8 times now in the last 11 years. And while almost every show has been good to very good, I think I've only seen them once where I felt it was a great show - where they sounded great, played a really long time, played most of what I wanted to hear, and surprised me with several song selections. It seems like every show I'm at I get a few those qualities, but not all of them. Oh well, like I said overall it was a good show.

I just got back from Philadelphia this morning. I had seats in the AA section, which was amazing. Props to whoever requested Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway. I was so psyched when they played Kamera and Pot Kettle Black too. The last Wilco show I went to they didn't play A Shot in the Arm, but singing along this time was amazing. I also loved You Are My Face, but was especially thrilled with She's A Jar.

Overall a great show, although I was counting on IATTBYH or War on War or Monday at the end. I can't wait for New Haven tonight!

Some folks are not digging "Sunken Treasure" as an opener. I get that, but I'm really into the idea of a real show where they kind of ease you into it and make you pay attention rather than come out with all guns blazing, which most bands typically do. Wilco is one of those groups that bucks the trend and comes out softly and nicely, and I dig it. Kind of like how Wilco opens albums with softer tracks, its setting a theme, a mood. Yeah, they could come out rocking, and they could also give us the same show we'd get at any other rock show these days, but they do things their way, which is what I paid $50 for: to get a real experience, not just another typical rock show.

What I'm saying is: "Sunken Treasure" is a kick ass opener.

Wow!!!!

This was my second time seeing them in Philly. I had one of the best seats in the house. Second row center loge. It was a DVD quality view and especially when I stood up and danced (shakes fist at the geezers around me who not only wouldn't get up, but barely applauded.) It was also my first encounter with shrooms.

I don't want to reiterate all they great comments said before. I agree with most of them. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how little Jeff Tweedy talked to the audience. At Penns Landing in 05, he talked a lot ("sounds like a shoe in a dryer.") Last night, he didn't talk much at all. He did apologize for not playing in Philly for a while. By the way, apology accepted Jeff. I think it's because of the curfew. I really appreciated that they had a limited amount of time to play and wanted to maximize and utilize as much of that as they could. I bet they probably discussed it before the show.

Yeah, the only negative feedback I can muster is that the audience around me was lame, the Tower kicked them out, and that ticket sales were riddled with corruption. None of which were the fault of the band. Kudos, Wilco for another amazing show!

This was my second time seeing them in Philly. I had one of the best seats in the house. Second row center loge. It was a DVD quality view and especially when I stood up and danced (shakes fist at the geezers around me who not only wouldn't get up, but barely applauded.) It was also my first encounter with shrooms.

Uhhhhh, Wilco didn't play at the Tower last night. It was the Moody Blues. Sounds like the shrooms were good.