I'm just getting into them after SXSW, I have a couple of their albums, but nothing really grabbed me. I don't like I'm Not Afraid of You......

Best suggestions on where to start?

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

Fakebook

Painful

Electro-O-Pura

try those in that order i'd say

i've always found their live shows incredibly inconsistant, but their set before MMJ at SXSW was pretty damn good.

I am Not Afraid of you and I will beat your ass - really grabbedd me, Im late to the game.

is I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One the classic its supose to be, i think im gonna pick it up this week.

If not what should be the YLT record I get next considering where I started.

Blue Line Swinger is one of my all time favorite songs..absolutely perfect in every way.

The only YLT albums I'm not a fan of are I Am Not Afraid.. and Fakebook.

So, you like the noisy stuff?

Those are two of my favorites of theirs (along with Electr-o-Pura)!

So, you like the noisy stuff?

Those are two of my favorites of theirs (along with Electr-o-Pura)!

Indeed. Which is not to say I dont like the quiet/more eclectic stuff of theirs. But I definitely prefer the noise/feedback drenched guitar attacks (From A Motel 6, I Saw You Looking, etc) far, far more.

Personally, "I Am Not Afraid" never grabbed me, although there are some gems there as well (such as "Hatchet")

Electr-O-Pura is my favorite. To me, it beats I Can Hear the Heart by quite a bit, although the conventional wisdom seems to disagree with that. ...Inside Out is also top-notch, but was a slow-grower for me, so I wouldn't recommend starting there.

I like some of the atmosphere of Summer Sun, but it is kind of inconsistent. Same for Painful, imo. Every album seems to have some gems on it, though.

I love YLT, but strangely have never gotten around to seeing them live. They're definitely on the "Gee, I hope they don't quit before I get a chance to see them" list.

I like YLT but all of their albums just seem to go on for a bit too long. Most of the epic long tracks get long-winded or highly repetitive.

IMO I Am Not Afraid Of You is the best I've heard yet (I have everything from "I Can Hear The Heart..." onwards) and it still could be trimmed back and tracked differently.

I got I'm Not Afraid and really like some of it, but I agree, it's way too long.

Just recently when I ordered the Malkmus album, I got Summer Sun as well.

do they have any albums that are just a consistent 35-45 mins?

• 11 months later...

ylt did their annual WFMU pledge-a-thon/request-a-thon on friday night.

I called and donated and requested and received VU's What Goes On.

Twas a great time. There was a Kinkstastic run of Waterloo Sunset>David Watts>Village Green Preservation Society.

Followed up by a song "for everyone who calls in and asks for songs from Pet Sounds." Kokomo. :lol

ETA: was sort of, almost, not quite, like a Tweedy LR Show.

Another band that kinda passed me by. How do these bands ever slip by us? Anyone ever have that happen to them? Where they get into a band long after it seems the whole planet has been loving their work? I just got I Can Hear The Heart...today and am liking what I've heard so far.

Don't know if this has been posted already but YLT (calling themselves the Condo F*cks) is releasing a disc of covers next week: F*ckbook.

anyone heard it?

does it basically sound like 60's garage rock?

It leaked about a month ago. It's sloppy and raucous, Phsyc/Garage rock...and a pretty great listen overall.

Another band that kinda passed me by. How do these bands ever slip by us? Anyone ever have that happen to them? Where they get into a band long after it seems the whole planet has been loving their work?

All the time.

Anyone ever have that happen to them? Where they get into a band long after it seems the whole planet has been loving their work?

Ah, new discoveries! It's what makes life worth living in my book. I'm just now getting into Nina Simone. Where has she been all my life?!

Ah, new discoveries! It's what makes life worth living in my book. I'm just now getting into Nina Simone. Where has she been all my life?!

Probably dead for a fair portion of it. :thumbup