Days, you really should add Stravinsky to that list. The Firebird and The Rite of Spring are both awesome, and were considered fairly controversial for the time (the 1910s).

Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C Minor (K. 475) is worth noting. quite an extraordinary piece.

it's usually compiled with his Piano Sonatas and will make you think twice about him as a composer.

i'm mostly drawn to keyboard works, so it would make sense for me to suggest Bach's Goldberg Variations.

they're what got me deep into classical. as well as Mozart's Piano Sonatas and Beethoven's.

Chopin's Preludes are wonderful. etc etc

This is a loaded question but as a small starter go with the Cello Suites by Bach.

Get the ones by Alexander Rudin. I feel he does an amazing and beautiful job of catching the essence of each piece.

Schubert's late string quartets and piano sonatas are a good point to start too.

Pretty much all the great concertos, violin or piano, get people in quickly. Its a very immediately understandable form and there's a lot of stuff to explore (Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Elgar aside from the most famous names, for example).

If you like the large scale stuff Bruckner and Mahler are worth a listen along with the more recognizable canon works like Beethoven. I saw Shostakovich's 8th symphony last Friday and its incredible...

Amongst contemporary/moderns Steve Reich is very listenable (plus Glenn Kotche has recorded a version of one of his works if that's any incentive ;))

BTW WaronWar i like Heinrich Schiff and Tortelier in the suites. I'll have to check out Rudin's version.

Beethoven's 6th is my favorite symphony of his, although I generally listen to all nine throughout the week at work.

Schubert, Grieg, and Tchaivosky are also regularly in my rotation. Just watch Little Einsteins, they're a good intro into classical music.

Just about any Mozart is worth listening to lots of very good stuff there and so much of it is easily recognizable.

Beethoven I like his symphonies, especially 5 and 9 (the most popular)

Bach (Blue Danube is the most well known) and Tchaikovsky (1812 overture was used to provide many Looney Tunes musical snippets) are good with lots of vary familiar stuff in their catalogs to listen to.

But my favorite piece has to be Stravinsky's

Of course somewhere we need to have someone come up with the collected works of Salieri (sp?), that Rachmaninoff made them all look like dried turds, or tell us that Mozart's career was all down hill after twinkle twinkle because he sold out to the man etc...

BTW from the pieces I am mentioning you can see that 1) I likke the big sweeping epic pieces and 2) am trying to get you to the where shoudl I start point. Start with the classics, the standards and work from there.

But my favorite piece has to be Stravinsky's

I am guessing you were going to see "Rite of Spring." Great piece!

I actually saw John Kimura Parker (pianist) play "Rite of Spring" at my school. The piece was designed for four hands, but he did it with two, and it blew my mind away.

By the way, I have always wanted to check out John Cage's music, but have never gotten a chance. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?