• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say the ryan adams/conor oberst/'someone's allowed their music to be used for a commercial' threads are the interesting debates on this board. who wants to read a bunch of "i like such and such", "yeah i like such and such too!", "have you got such and such?", "yes, actually i have got such and such", "and do you like such and such?", "guess what? i do!" about people we either universally like or don't give a rat's minge about?

i'd say i don't like conor oberst, but that's a bit of a lie - i've just never given him a try.

New Dead Thread/ New Dead Thread/ Repeat

I was talking to/with LB there - no one else.

Also - concerning the GD thread - if the first one was not locked, there would not have been a second one. I believe the policy here is to lock threads when they hit 500 replies. I guess this has to do with some technical deal.

Oddily enough - on another board I look at there is a RTT section - and they have threads there that are 500 pages long.

Also - I was not busting on anyone - just remarking on the fact that with some bands - there seems to be constant debates about their worth - or lack there of - whatever the case may be.

I sometimes think it would be helpful to have the search box right above the start a new topic button though.

I do find it funny that there are multiple threads asking the same questions over and over again - but I guess that is how it goes.

Edited by Analogman

yea, maybe theres nothing more to say about this guy. Just as someone who knows his work threw and threw but is not a outright promoter of his work I thought I could shed some knew light on this topic. As for him being "young" the guys like 28 now and Cassadaga isnt realy all that whiny its sorta beautiful especially Lime Tree.

It took me two years (and a few attempts) to get into I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning but now I love it. I like a bunch of the b-sides from that era. Cassadaga had it's moments but it also had "Make A Plan To Love Me"...... :barf

As a person, Conor Oberst is alright. I am happy he is out there doing whatever he is doing and I'll keep giving the records a shot. I am excited to see how his collaboration with M. Ward ends up, and the songs he performed in Minneapolis late last year were pretty good, so I'd like to hear them in some studio format sometime down the road.

I do find it funny that there are multiple threads asking the same questions over and over again - but I guess that is how it goes.
I guess. I keep feeling like the same half dozen bands get discussed over and over again ad nauseum. I mean really if you want to know what albums to get, maybe do research somewhere else. I mean the fact is that there are a handful of top albums for any one artist (I mean telling people about the Dead Man soundtrack by Neil on a where to start thread is totally pointless...) and it is pretty easy to figure out what they are by reading Wikipedia and checking on Amazon for those people like the best. I do this all the time myself for less well known artists and then I actually buy something for the hell of it.

I mean even hearing that Miles Davis is the greatest jazz artist ever gets sort of ridiculous. (not trying to insult anyone here..but come on.....we all know this...) Arguing about which of the Band's later albums doesn't suck is also kinda stupid (a topic I always join in on sadly) and wanting to know about the Kinks over and over gets kind of boring. Buy some early stuff, buy some later stuff, buy some greatest hits packages...there are several of them. There is very llittle of the Kinks that sucks actually if you like them (and if you don't then it all sucks...) And the argument about how badly Bright Eyes does or does not suck is even borinig anymore. Some folks like him, some folks hate him, some (like me) think he is just over rated. (I would like to have an actual discussion about why Daniel Johnston is more than a very sad individual and should be taken seriously though...)

Sorry...just needed a rant this morning..I am outta here.

LouieB

I guess. I keep feeling like the same half dozen bands get discussed over and over again ad nauseum. I mean really if you want to know what albums to get, maybe do research somewhere else. I mean the fact is that there are a handful of top albums for any one artist (I mean telling people about the Dead Man soundtrack by Neil on a where to start thread is totally pointless...) and it is pretty easy to figure out what they are by reading Wikipedia and checking on Amazon for those people like the best. I do this all the time myself for less well known artists and then I actually buy something for the hell of it.

I mean even hearing that Miles Davis is the greatest jazz artist ever gets sort of ridiculous. (not trying to insult anyone here..but come on.....we all know this...) Arguing about which of the Band's later albums doesn't suck is also kinda stupid (a topic I always join in on sadly) and wanting to know about the Kinks over and over gets kind of boring. Buy some early stuff, buy some later stuff, buy some greatest hits packages...there are several of them. There is very llittle of the Kinks that sucks actually if you like them (and if you don't then it all sucks...) And the argument about how badly Bright Eyes does or does not suck is even borinig anymore. Some folks like him, some folks hate him, some (like me) think he is just over rated. (I would like to have an actual discussion about why Daniel Johnston is more than a very sad individual and should be taken seriously though...)

Sorry...just needed a rant this morning..I am outta here.

LouieB

Oh - I agree. I think part of deal is some of us are on here all the time - so we see this stuff over and over again.

Oh - I agree. I think part of deal is some of us are on here all the time - so we see this stuff over and over again.

Exactly... but the person who started this thread joined VC on March 3, 2008...he/she didn't have the pleasure of reading through the countless Conor Oberst discussions that some of us were here for. I'm sure there are a lot of other new members (and even some who have been here awhile) who would be like to throw their 2 cents in.

Bottom line: there isn't a limit to how many threads we can have going at one time; if it's a topic that you're tired of or not interested in, just don't read the thread.

I had never even heard of Conor Oberst / Bright Eyes until my TiVo caught him on ACL last year.

I have a hard time hating anybody who pens words like, "everything I made is trite, and cheap and a waste of paint, of tape, of time." That's really interesting -- because if sincere, it's the fear / insecurity / deep belief of every artist. And if it's a sarcastic reference to all the mean things said about him, then bully for that too. In any event, I was mildly entertained and like someone else said, more power to him.

... not that that performance led to me go out and listen to anything else by the guy.

I had never even heard of Conor Oberst / Bright Eyes until my TiVo caught him on ACL last year.

I have a hard time hating anybody who pens words like, "everything I made is trite, and cheap and a waste of paint, of tape, of time." That's really interesting -- because if sincere, it's the fear / insecurity / deep belief of every artist. And if it's a sarcastic reference to all the mean things said about him, then bully for that too. In any event, I was mildly entertained and like someone else said, more power to him.

... not that that performance led to me go out and listen to anything else by the guy.

That ACL performance is probably the worst thing he has ever done, so your ability to stomach it would suggest that you might be able to handle and even like more of his stuff.

He sat on the stage!!

That ACL performance is probably the worst thing he has ever done, so your ability to stomach it would suggest that you might be able to handle and even like more of his stuff.

He sat on the stage!!

That plus the previous post have convinced me to drop some of my ever-weakening-against-the-Euro dolla billz on an album or two, thanks for the input.

Yeah he definitely didn't shine at all, after that first song (the one I quoted). M Ward really upstaged him, though I thought the songs with the MMJ guy really dragged (not an MMJ fan, so that's probably part of it -- I know it's shallow, but ALLLL that vocal reverb just kills me).

I am in this club as well.

you know that kinda bums me out... i mean i can understand it somewhat, but MMJ are one of the best live bands in America, right up there with (and at times ahead of) Wilco, but if the vocals (or mostly the reverb) is that big of a turnoff, that's a bummer.

you should check out this solo Jim James show i saw @ SXSW w/ M. Ward, the reverb is mostly just from the church's acoustics:

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-03-15.aud.flac16

one of the best shows i've ever seen