• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Wide Awake was one of the most immediate albums I've ever heard. An instant classic. Lifted is an absolute mess and overly ambitious, but there's some great songs in there. The rest of the albums are pretty good with some amazing song scattered in there, but overall, I think Conor still has a little ways to go before I start comparing him to any classic songwriter

after all the buildup, I was stunned at how trite most of his stuff is

I gave him a fair chance but have no desire to ever listen to a piece of Bright Eyes music again

how did the Village Voice put it? music for gawky drama girls?

sure as hell ain't for me

im with you

I hope someone posts 4 times in this thread about how they don't like him.

holy shit, somone posted a topic and people spoke their opinions on the INNERNET???? I'm not sure this has been done before. talk about innovation!

well, I'm with the group of people who think this guy is trite. I honestly never understood the draw. It's like the world decided that one out of the 500 garbage acoustic guitar playing hipsters was somehow different from the other whiny acoustic guitar playing hipsters and gave him a record deal. I still am surprised every time I hear that M.Ward or Jim James (two legitimate musicians) was caught on stage with this guy. I just don't like the hypocrisy of pretending to be like a fragile teenage girl while at the same time being ego driven enough to write lyrics about your woes and debauchery.

edit: or you could have been making a joke about how you posted 3 times already.

I am amazed anyone is still talking about him (or Daniel Johnston for that matter...)

LouieB

the difference between the two is, one evokes true emotion from the soul, and the other skims the surface.

Def agree with that. Has anyone seen the devil and dj? Pretty intense.

I own it.

And yes, I am a big, big Daniel Johnston fan.

As to the topic at-hand, Conor Oberst does have a couple of pretty amazing songs, but the bulk of what I've heard is not even close to the best of what he's done.

Def agree with that. Has anyone seen the devil and dj? Pretty intense.

Yes I have seen it. It is a movie about mental health more than music. I understand his appeal and I feel badly for him (I also bought some of his CDs) and don't think there is much romantic about mental illness. Johnston among many oother things is OCD. The must upsetting part of the movie is not IN the movie, but is the meeting with his former "girl-friend" at SXSW or wherever it was. AFter seeing that I felt even worse about him.

I think Bright Eyes has depth of a sort, but have just never been that interested in him. Frankly there is no connection between these two singers; not even sure why they ended up in the same thread.

LouieB

I actually preferred his work with the Depreciados... and I'm a huge fan of "Lifted..." but I thought "Cassadaga" was one of the biggest disappointments of last year.

He's not quite got it right, in my opinion. He's obviously talented, but, as someone else said here, perhaps he's trying just a bit too hard.

It has been so long since a Bright Eyes thread has been on this board I figured he had completely fallen off the VC radar....I guess we need another Ryan Adams thread now....

LouieB

It has been so long since a Bright Eyes thread has been on this board I figured he had completely fallen off the VC radar....I guess we need another Ryan Adams thread now....

LouieB

We had another one of those the other day.

We had another one of those the other day.
Yea I know, but I STILL think it is time for another one......if we don't have at least one a week or so this place just won't feel right.

LouieB