Hummingbird's husband

Hi all,

I thought you might want to know that our member, Hummingbird (real life name, Vanessa) who some of you got to meet at the 3-3-07 Living Room Show, has just gone through a really scary situation with her husband Michael (he also attended that LR Show). Michael had developed swelling in his arm, and when it worsened drastically, he went to the emergency room. It was disgnosed as a broken blood vessel. He went home and fortunately a nurse-friend advised them to get a second opinion. Turns out that Michael had developed a massive blood clot directly under his collarbone.

Michael has had vascular surgery & the clot has been removed, so thank God, the danger is past, but it was a terrifying few days for Vanessa and family. The ordeal isn't quite over yet, because it turns out that the root of the problem lies in a bit of Michael's bone structure, in which a rib and the collarbone are too close and impinge on his blood vessels in that area....this is why the blood clot occurred. Here, this is how Vanessa explained it:

"Monday he will have his rib bone removed--this should be his last surgery. This will prevent future blood clots as he has been diagnosed with something called 'Thoracic Outlet Syndrome'. It's genetic and I can't explain it---but apparently his rib bone is too close to his collar bone and is pinching the veins in that area and this on top of the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is what led to the slug."

"The slug" was Michael's nickname for the clot.

So there you have it. Please be generous with the Get-Well vibes!

Vanessa, Michael, you know I'm thinking of you both with love! :cheekkiss :cheekkiss PS - Some joke about saving that rib bone....in case you need an Eve.....sorry, forget it, this joke just isn't coming together. :rolleyes I'll let you know if I eventually have something witty to say. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Until then, just get well!!!!

Wow. Hang in there Michael, Vanessa and family. Many vibes being sent your way for a swift and complete recovery. :hug

To lighten your mood I will quote a lyric from the esteemed Mr. Bob Weir:

The Lord made a lady out of Adam's rib

Next thing you know we had Women's Lib

:rolleyes

Wow, good to hear that it was caught in time! I met Vanessa and Michael at Edie's, the night before that LRS last year, and had a lovely chat with them. So here are some get-well vibes from me, too!

Michael and Vanessa,

Very happy it's turning out well. Thank God for your friend and second opinions.

The 3B of the Texas Rangers had the same procedure done last year and is playing major league baseball again this year. Who knows . . . the Orioles might need a new 3B next year!

Hope to see you both sooner than later.

Hey so happy you got that second opinion - I work in health care and it worries me how it goes these days - quick

diagnosis with little work up and off you go. Please get well soon and trust your instincts!!!!! My daughter had amjor renal infection over Thanksgiving holidays and initial eval was - no big deal, here's some pills for UTI - thank god we took her in to Children's Hospital in Boston when she kept looking so ill - take care-----

Wow, laurie, so glad that your daughter is okay! I guess the lesson here is to always listen to your own instincts & remember that even the best doctors aren't infallible. I shudder to think what Michael's situation might be if he hadn't been seen a second time. I know Vanessa is thanking their guardian angels or whatever loving force is looking after them.

Wow guys--thanks for all the great big VIBES !!! :worship

This is Vanessa----I just got home from visiting Mike....he is at one of the best hospitals around our way--Johns Hopkins.....they took out the RIB bone today....and he made it through.

They anticipate him coming home tomorrow....

For those of you who have read this thread/story....and who have had scarey medical things happen....I just wanted to say if you EVER know someone whose arm swells up for no apparent reason...go to the ER immediately and make sure they do a CHEST X-RAY or MRI of the chest!

If our friend hadn't told me to make him get a second opinion (and when I say "MAKE HIM" I mean it--because he doesn't like going to the doctor!---It's a "Y" chromosome thing I've been told) he would have gotten on an airplane to North Carolina with this huge blood clot in his chest....and this obviously would have been a very bad thing....very very bad.

We are so lucky.... :thumbup

I miss you all and hope to one day meet you all in person again or in the future at a show!!!

Thanks again for the great vibes....I know Mike will be really happy to read this when he gets home....you all are amazing.

Love you Donna! :cheekkiss