Okay, so this is what I remember from the Musikfest show. Anyone who was there and can help with the order or additional tracks played would be very much appreciated!

Musikfest

Bethlehem, Pa

August 3rd 2009

Fat Dog

The Pretender

Oh No

Fools Life

The Ark

Ain’t It Strange

Worst Trip

Alaska

Jackie Wants a Black Eye

Army of Ancients

From

My Friend

Hang On

The Old Days

100 Years

I Can’t Fly

The Way the Lazy Do

The Beach

The Rabbit, the Bat, and the Reindeer

My Old Ways

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally missed the Fallon performance of The Ark earlier this year, but i can't seem to find it anywhere. the links to youtube vids have been taken down.

anyone know where i can stream it online at?

• 1 month later...

Getting stoked about the show in Asheville Monday. From the looks of the setlist above, they play a wide variety of tunes from all of their albums including some I've never heard of. Fat Dog? Possibly new stuff? I hope so. :dancing

Yeah, and that wasn't even the whole setlist either, only what I could remember. They did about 7-10 more songs. And yeah, "Fat Dog" is a song that they've had for a while now. They actually wanted to put it on one of the last three albums, but said they couldn't find a place for it. So, when they sang it at Musikfest, Scott did announced it as a new one! I think it's a great song and I hope it is on the new album. I actually have a live version from a few years ago and I can send you if you want.... just have to find it first. :thumbup

Yeah, and that wasn't even the whole setlist either, only what I could remember. They did about 7-10 more songs. And yeah, "Fat Dog" is a song that they've had for a while now. They actually wanted to put it on one of the last three albums, but said they couldn't find a place for it. So, when they sang it at Musikfest, Scott did announced it as a new one! I think it's a great song and I hope it is on the new album. I actually have a live version from a few years ago and I can send you if you want.... just have to find it first. :thumbup

I'd love to hear that. PM me if/when you find it. :)

I've looked for live Dr. Dog before, but never have been successful.

Ok, I've been to a lot of great shows in my day but lasts night Dr. Dog show is in my top 2 favorite shows ever. These guys know how to put on a live show.. So much energy and they look like they are truly having a blast... They are also MUCH louder live then on their albums. The guitars are louder, more distorted, and holy crab Toby's bass tone.. A lot of it had to do with standing right next to the sub-woofers, but still.. :)

Their drummer couldn't make the show, so they got a local guy to sit in. Toby said they've never played with him before until a six hour rehearsal before the show. The guy played every song spot on!

They played a variety from all three albums, and also a couple solo songs from Scott while the rest of the band took a break.

As far as setlist, I can't recall the order, but they opened with:

Worst Trip

The Way the Lazy Do

Favorite song of the night: "Die, Die, Die".. Every time I've listened to this song on the record, I always pictured Toby sipping on a drink and smoking. Well he did just that (except for the smoking part). He had a Red Stripe in one hand, and the mic in the other. It was perfect.. :)

They really can put on a smoking live show. It's been awhile since I last saw them and unfortunately I wont be catching any shows on this tour. I was listening to "Say Something," just a couple of days ago and man what a frickin' great tune that is. Looking forward to yet another new album from a band that really seems to embrace putting out records in rapid succession. I dig that about DD.

Scott McMicken talks about the upcoming Dr. Dog album "Shame, Shame" and its sound!!! :dancing

But McMicken says be prepared for something different when Dr. Dog's new album, which is tentatively titled "Shame, Shame"debuts. The album is scheduled for a spring 2010 release.

The new album, McMicken says, is going to be more modern.

"More modern for us," he hedges, "which is by all standards not on the vanguard of what is modern."

How will the new album sound different?

"It's going to have a broader frequency spectrum, which I've discovered is important when you're trying to make recordings that are energetic," he says.

"Shame, Shame" will be harder and more punk rock, with band members trading in their acoustic guitars.

"In the past we've tried to avoid the electric guitar a lot in the studio, but then when we played live we embraced it," he says. "This time we want the album to sound more like our live performances."

Rest of the article here:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/aznightbuzz/311063

Scott talks about the new album and mentions Jeff!! Also awesome that the Dr. Dog guys are such huge Tom Waits fans... makes me love them even more!!

Dr. Dog: the news is out

With a new label and big fall tour, these Philly rockers are grabbing headlines

My Morning Jacket leader Jim James “discovered” Dr. Dog about five years ago. Since then, the Philadelphia-based quintet has steadily climbed the indie ranks with a superbly rich, retro sound that recalls such colossal acts as the Band, the Beach Boys and the Beatles.

Dr. Dog’s past two albums, 2007’s “We All Belong” and last year’s “Fate” were both critical and, relatively speaking, commercial successes, issued by tiny, New Orleans-based label Park the Van. Anti Records, purveyor of major albums by such diverse acts as Tom Waits, Neko Case and Nick Cave, signed Dr. Dog in July. The band is already hard at work on their Anti debut, due out in early 2010.

“I’m in Philly, at our studio, standing outside,” says singer-guitarist Scott McMicken by phone. “We’re just practicing some songs and recording.” In addition to recording on their home turf, the band worked at Dreamland Studios in upstate New York with producer Rob Schnapf, whose other collaborators include Beck and the late, great Elliott Smith.

During a lengthy interview, McMicken discussed everything from the theme of the new record to a recent breakup. He explained why he no longer drinks, and expressed admiration for former tour-mates James, Jeff Tweedy and Jack White.

You’re now labelmates with some extremely cool acts. If you could record with one of them, who would it be?

Hands down, no questions asked, Tom Waits. Tom Waits is majorly loved by our band. He’s the real deal, a real artist and a real oddball. [Laughs]

How far along are you in recording your Anti debut?

We’re really far long. We have been recording for the last six to seven weeks solid. We should be done in November.

Do you have an album title in mind?

“Shame, Shame”; it is the name of one of the songs. It includes the general idea we’re trying to put forth on the record. It has to do with certain aspects of relationships. But not specifically romantic, love relationships—relationships with yourself. How comfortable or uncomfortable you are with yourself. How responsible you are with yourself. On the song “Shame, Shame,” the character goes through stages of self-doubt and then something comes into his life and he’s a changed man.

Speaking of relationships, do you have a girlfriend?

I don’t. I did for a really long time. That stopped. Her and I, we’re really close. It kind of had a surprisingly pleasant end. [bassist/singer Toby Leaman] has been married happily for four years. All the other guys in the band are happily paired off and living with their girlfriends. It’s a hard thing. When we met and started being together, there was no touring—there wasn’t this insanely demanding part of our life. It started as one thing in my relationship and then got really bad. Then we settled in and accepted it. There has to be a change in people’s expectations. They have to change and we have to compromise. Now, it’s acceptable if someone in the band says, “I can’t come and practice; I have to hang out with my girl.”

Dr. Dog has done just about all the late night shows: Letterman, Conan, Craig Ferguson and Jimmy Fallon. What’s it like watching yourself on TV?

The whole experience of those shows—from playing to watching them—is very exhilarating. The wires cross in your brain. You have been watching these shows for years and have all these preconceived notions and it all gets blown apart. It’s really a base-level thrill.

You’ve toured with My Morning Jacket, the Raconteurs and many other major acts. Who’s the coolest rock star you’ve met?

Man, I have met so many really awesome inspiring people. My Morning Jacket first took us on the road back [in 2004] when we were a barely functioning band. We were just existing making these little recordings, one of which I gave to Jim [James]. He taught us to just play our songs, forced us to buckle down. I was already a fan of them and in my ignorance, just assumed there would be rock-star excess. But these guys were just making dumb jokes [laughs], totally normal people.

Jack White is probably the biggest rock star dude we toured with. He’s so flamboyant, the way he acts and dresses—he really embraces his stardom. I thought for sure we were in for a weird, haunted hayride. [Laughs] But he’s a totally straight-laced, sober guy. That’s when I realized this is all just about working hard. He’s not coming from some mythical land. That guy works really hard to be Jack White.

Jeff Tweedy is just an incredibly wonderful, real person. Getting to know Tweedy, he’s such an un-rock star—watching him live his life, with his son, it only sheds more beauty on his music.

Tweedy successfully battled painkiller addiction. You’re an artist and strike me as an intense person; how do you unwind?

To be perfectly honest, I am a wound up person. But drugs and alcohol are not an option. I have been down that road. I know what lies in that route. I slip up sometimes, though. I quit drinking at 24. I’m 30 now. I had become an unhealthy person. By the time we started touring, I had been to A.A. meetings. Sometimes I get weak. It’s terrible. I’m not a drunk who starts fights or takes my clothes off. It just gets me depressed. I’m not interested in drugs, just the occasional psychedelic experience—or some weed here and there. [Laughs] For unwinding, I go to hobbies. I really like to draw and knit—to keep my mind busy, and my hands occupied.

http://atlanta.metromix.com/music/article/dr-dog-the-news/1473435/content

Scott talks about the new album and mentions Jeff!! Also awesome that the Dr. Dog guys are such huge Tom Waits fans... makes me love them even more!!

http://atlanta.metro...1473435/content

Thanks for posting, a great read!

I’m not interested in drugs, just the occasional psychedelicexperience—or some weed here and there. [Laughs] For unwinding, I go tohobbies. I really like to draw and knit
:lol
Dr. Dog Cope With Being the 'Weirdest Band in the World'

Toby Leaman, one of Dr. Dog's two frontmen, would, naturally, like to see his band continue to rise to new levels of fame. But, as he tells Spinner, there's one thing that might be holding his Philadelphia psych-pop crew back. "Sometimes I listen to our songs and think we are the weirdest f---ing band in the world," he says. "These songs don't make sense at all."

The songs he's speaking of, in particular, are the handful that Dr. Dog is currently mixing into what will become their fifth proper album, 'Shame, Shame.' To the band's fans, that weird flair is the band's biggest draw. With bouncy, skip-along basslines, floating harmonies, frequent sleigh bells and a lyrical obsession with all things old and beautiful, Dr. Dog is unafraid to emanate good vibes in a sea of introspective, often bummed-out indie rock.

"Scott [McMicken, vocals and guitar] and I have been working to structure this record, to give it an arc," says Leaman. "The title track lyrically starts out where you're unsure, you don't even know yourself. You've an inability to make a decision. It starts where you think you're fine completely alone, but by the end you realize -- shame, shame -- you didn't even know what was out there."

The idea of embarking on a journey, mentally or physically, is a theme that's carried through each of Dr. Dog's albums. On 'The Breeze,' from last year's 'Fate,' McMicken sings, "The breeze that blows us here today, will blow us all away." Paired with lightly traveling percussion -- and, no doubt, the inclusion of train sounds -- Dr. Dog has created a musical aesthetic that seems to push for constant movement, a sense that no journey is ever over because no one ever truly stops growing or learning.

Maybe it was life imitating art that pushed Dr. Dog to travel out of their Philly studio for the first time to record 'Shame, Shame' in a studio in the woods near Woodstock, N.Y. "The studio was this gorgeous, old church, and we stayed in the rectory for a month, in the woods, just to record," Leaman says.

While the journey to upstate New York birthed the new record, the journey to a new label will afford Dr. Dog new opportunities. After months of deliberation through conversations with four different labels, the band signed with Anti, home of Leaman's hero Tom Waits. The move, though a big step up, isn't the farthest Dr. Dog could've jumped.

"We were really close to signing with Warner Bros. And they were good to us. I didn't feel like they were bulls----ing us. But you could tell that their trajectory for us was to be a huge band right away," says Leaman. "That's not how we see ourselves, at least not suddenly. I mean, if we get there on our own, sure. But, really, I feel like we're just too weird."

http://www.spinner.com/2009/10/07/dr-dog-cope-with-being-the-weirdest-band-in-the-world/

just the other day i found an older issue of Tape Op where they talked about their studio.

guess they already got tired of it.

Hard copy, or link? Would love to read that.

Edit: Just found this: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=50128

Its a forum topic on the mag issue. Bill Moriarity (Engineer on Easy Beat/We All Belong) actually joins in and answers questions about the specifics of the recording. Cool!!

Anyone know where I can find the bonus tracks "The Dearly Departed," "Is It Worth My Time" and "Drop Me Off?" I used to have them, but they were lost when my Hard drive crashed. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Dr. Dog is by far my favorite band. I haven't seen all of these articles though, so thanks to RainDogToo!!!

Shame Shame, eh? Sounds pretty awesome.

Do you still need those three tracks, i can zip them up for you.

Does anyone know why Juston Stens didn't play with them at ACL?

Dr. Dog is by far my favorite band. I haven't seen all of these articles though, so thanks to RainDogToo!!!

Shame Shame, eh? Sounds pretty awesome.

Do you still need those three tracks, i can zip them up for you.

Does anyone know why Juston Stens didn't play with them at ACL?

Yes! They are quickly becoming my favorite band as well! And you're so welcome for the articles... so excited for their new album! So, far I've heard two new songs live; "Fat Dog" and a nice little ditty called "Jackie Wants a Black Eye." Both were so awesome to get to hear live! So, hearing both those songs and reading about the new sound, I really think that "Shame, Shame" just might be their best album yet. :dancing

• 2 weeks later...

Caught these cats again Tuesday evening (10/20).

Which is probably the 7th or 8th time since first seeing them open for MMJ back in 03-04.

They are getting seriously good as a live act. Even though I've always enjoyed their shows there's something that, possibly intangible and quite hard to put a finger on, is beginning to present itself as a bit of magic that only well seasoned road dogs can conjure up.

They are sumthin special.

How in the world they get through a set, on a small stage, without braining one another with their pegheads I'll never understand.

• 1 month later...

For being such an amazing live band, it's a shame that they haven't made a live album. I've scoured the internet for tapings or any other live material and have found nothing..

*hoping for someone to PM me with a slew of live recordings* :lol

For being such an amazing live band, it's a shame that they haven't made a live album. I've scoured the internet for tapings or any other live material and have found nothing..

*hoping for someone to PM me with a slew of live recordings* :lol

Sure, I can get you some recordings if you can wait a couple days. Right now I’m in the process of finishing up school shit and all. So, if you can wait, I will send you some stuff I have! :thumbup