• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get the opportunity to see them do yourself a favor and go. Excellent live band.

Anyone else think it's kind of cool to hear them in the trailer for Funny People? I'm also fairly certain Seth Rogen is wearing a Wilco shirt as well.

So I've been listening to a lot of Paul McCartney and Wings lately, and to be honest I hear a lot more of that sorta of influence as opposed to The Beatles themselves.

Thoughts?

So I've been listening to a lot of Paul McCartney and Wings lately, and to be honest I hear a lot more of that sorta of influence as opposed to The Beatles themselves.

Thoughts?

totally accurate.

a lot of the guitar tones they use are straight off of some Wings records

totally accurate.

a lot of the guitar tones they use are straight off of some Wings records

i'm not familiar with Paul's work prior Beatles other than Ram and McCartney.

how do you rank the Wings albums?

For me lately it's been:

Red Rose Speedway

Band On The Run

Wild Life

Venus and Mars

London Town

Wings At The Speed of Sound

Back to the Egg

Wings Over America is a great live album too.

If you get the opportunity to see them do yourself a favor and go. Excellent live band.

Anyone else think it's kind of cool to hear them in the trailer for Funny People? I'm also fairly certain Seth Rogen is wearing a Wilco shirt as well.

Yes, very cool! I couldn't believe it when I first saw the promo... good for them! And yes, he is wearing a Wilco shirt! :yes

I was telling my girlfriend today that We All Belong is the album any sensible young group of musicians made if the entirety of their musical listening lives began with Please Please Me and ended with Revolver.

I was telling my girlfriend today that We All Belong is the album any sensible young group of musicians made if the entirety of their musical listening lives began with Please Please Me and ended with Revolver.

Good point.. and Dr. Dog always catches hell for sounding too much like the Beatles.. But it's not just the Beatles, it's the whole Psychedelic sound from the 70's that they re-produce so well. They take what's already been done, and make it their own... And they're definitely not the first band to do that..

Good point.. and Dr. Dog always catches hell for sounding too much like the Beatles.. But it's not just the Beatles, it's the whole Psychedelic sound from the 70's that they re-produce so well. They take what's already been done, and make it their own... And they're definitely not the first band to do that..

this is one thing that confuses me - Pitchfork sh*ts on them for this, yet embrace any artist that resembles Brian Wilson/Pet Sounds - Panda Bear, Caribou, Elephant 6 when they were doing that.

re: Wings - how is Paul's verions of Girlfriend (which he wrote for Michael jackson who did it on Off the Wall)?

Dr. Dog Sign to Anti-, Tour, Ready Album for 2010 release

July 29, 2009 11:31 a.m. by Andrew Winistorfer

After three albums on Carpark (including last year's uneven Fate), Philadelphia '60s revivalists Dr. Dog have announced they are jumping to the larger confines of Anti- for their fifth LP, which is due out sometime in 2010. Dr. Dog frontman Scott McMicken says that the band is actually a band now that they're recording the whole thing together instead of broken up individually.

"Each album we've made was the best one we could have made at the time and I don't have any regrets. But something has changed. We've never really recorded as a band before. We started as a recording project but over the years we've become a real band. We tour all the time and we have this certain place we fall into. And I think we're ready to use that as a reference point now

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/dr-dog-sign-to-anti-tour-ready-album-for-2010-rele/31287/

From Dr.Dog.com:

July 29 2009

Hey Everybody,

Before we head into the studio for the next few weeks we wanted to let you know that we've gone and signed to a new label. The record we're making now is going to come out on Anti Records early next year. As you might notice, this will be the first time that we'll release a record in the US that's not on Park The Van and we'd like to take this opportunity to thank the PTV guys for all of their love and support over the years.

Park the Van was basically started to help us release Easy Beat which was our first "proper" album. The work that that Park the Van has done to let people know about Dr. Dog has been incredible. Over the past few years PTV and Dr Dog have come a long way together and we've had a lot of fun in the process. We wish the guys at PTV and all of the great bands on the label the best of luck, and we're thankful for what has been and will surely continue to be an amazing relationship.

Thanks guys!

@....@

...@

http://www.drdogmusic.com/news.shtml

Ok, I had no idea Paul McCartney wrote "Girlfriend" for Michael Jackson... learn something new everyday...

Going to see Dr. Dog in Sept at a free concert series we have in Chattanooga. Very excited! Saw them in 05 and they were great... "Fate" is one heck of a record.

So whats your favorite record? Mine by far (well right now at least) is "Easy Beat."

Is it just me, or is Toby Leaman a freakin sic bass player? His tone/style is right out of the 70's... I especially love his bass line on "Today".

I also don't know how he can sing lead and play those bass lines at the same time. Can't wait to see him do it live.

So whats your favorite record? Mine by far (well right now at least) is "Easy Beat."

Is it just me, or is Toby Leaman a freakin sic bass player? His tone/style is right out of the 70's... I especially love his bass line on "Today".

I also don't know how he can sing lead and play those bass lines at the same time. Can't wait to see him do it live.

They are such a great show. If you want a tease, I've seen a bunch of live clips on youtube and their recent performance on fallon was really good. Played The Ark off of Fate.

Gonna listen to Easy Beat tonight. It's been a couple years, need to listen again to that one before I can pick one.

Toby's an amazing bass player, one of my current favorites.

They were surprisingly loud when I saw them last year.....easily, one of my favorite shows!

Toby is fantastic! :cheers

I gotta go with We All Belong myself. Some excellent songs and melodies.

Easy Beat has some great melodies, but the production values aren't quite there yet. Fate is remarkable too...but I ever-so-slightly prefer Scott's songs to Toby's, and while Fate has two epic songs from Toby (The Ark and Army of Ancients), We All Belong has those two monster songs from Scott near the end (Ain't it Strange and The Way The Lazy Do) which just blow me away.

I am seriously considering heading down to the Friday ACL show just to see Dr. Dog and Blitzen Trapper back-to-back on the same stage.

Anyone here go to Musikfest? If so, I've been struggling to find a setlist, and so if anyone knows the order and can share, I'd very much appreciate it! Also, anyone notice if there were any tapers at the show?