Ugh, I feel awful for them. I really felt like this record was going to push them to another level, and this is just terrible timing.

eh, while it sucks, it's only delaying their tour by a few days, hardly a nail in the coffin type event

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is either, but having to cancel two shows in New York doesn't help you alot.

they've already played there 2 or 3 times this year though, and they're not canceling them, just postponing them a month

this new album has already propped up their visibility quite a bit

I just went to the local indie store here in Richmond to pick up the new cd and I couldn't find it anywhere. I asked a clerk about it and he looked it up on the computer and told me that he was sorry but all the copies had sold out. This has never happened to me before on a release day, so I asked how many copies had sold. He then told me to my utter astonishment that they only had 5 copies and that they all were gone in the morning! So, I'm not so happy right now. I'm wondering if the record store was severely underestimating DD or if their distribution is slow. One way or another it's pretty inexcusible for a fairly succesful indie band. Didn't get my pre-ordered vinyl and 7" yet either. Maybe the band's bad fortune is trickling down to their fans.

I just went to the local indie store here in Richmond to pick up the new cd and I couldn't find it anywhere. I asked a clerk about it and he looked it up on the computer and told me that he was sorry but all the copies had sold out. This has never happened to me before on a release day, so I asked how many copies had sold. He then told me to my utter astonishment that they only had 5 copies and that they all were gone in the morning! So, I'm not so happy right now. I'm wondering if the record store was severely underestimating DD or if their distribution is slow. One way or another it's pretty inexcusible for a fairly succesful indie band. Didn't get my pre-ordered vinyl and 7" yet either. Maybe the band's bad fortune is trickling down to their fans.

It's a curse.

Got the Vinyl and 7" today and was stoked to see that a cs came with the vinyl as well. "Hang On," is my early favorite. Feeling sad for the guys with this being their release week with the news with Toby. I'ne no doubt that they'll rebound stronger than ever. I'm also really into the fact that one of my favorite bands releases albums in such rapid succesion. Wilco and MMJ should take note of this trend. Can't wait to see them again in September.

i ordered mine on Friday, they sent it on Monday and I got it today!

things never get here that fast (maybe that's why the shipping seemed high)!

i just listened to it straight through and i really love it.

i can't believe a band this Beatle-y has put out a few albums and i didn't even know about it.

someone please put those 7" exclusive b-sides up online somewhere.

i'll have to start getting the back catalog before long.

i just wanted to add, I never made a strong connection with this band based on their earlier efforts, but this album is really good - and prompted me to return to the beginning - again funny how music works - sometimes you're just not ready, but thats why I always like to go back

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Fate has a funny way of coming around.

Great line! I bought this Tuesday and have been driving around with it. I like what they've done; I'm hoping it grows on me more.

Someone told me they played down here, in a small but great venue in St. Augustine not too far back. Sorry I missed it.

Great line! I bought this Tuesday and have been driving around with it. I like what they've done; I'm hoping it grows on me more.

Someone told me they played down here, in a small but great venue in St. Augustine not too far back. Sorry I missed it.

Not as close to you but they played in Tampa on Halloween. Crowd wasn't that big but it was a really great show.

With the exception of my wife, I have yet to meet someone that has heard Dr. Dog and not liked it (last two albums only). I haven't dug into their older stuff either. Is it in the same ballpark?

yep... Easy Beat has some total gems and is def worth checking out, the ones earlier than that are a bit hit or miss for me, but still some great songs scattered throughout.

With the exception of my wife, I have yet to meet someone that has heard Dr. Dog and not liked it (last two albums only). I haven't dug into their older stuff either. Is it in the same ballpark?

My girlfriend hates them. I like Toothbrush but it's a lot more stripped down.

Alright it's been awhile so I'll try again. Does anyone out there have Psychedelic Swamp and if so are you willing to share it?

Alright it's been awhile so I'll try again. Does anyone out there have Psychedelic Swamp and if so are you willing to share it?

I second this request.

Me three!

So, just listened to Fate, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. It feels a little strained, like they forced it at times. Of course that's only my first impression. I felt the same way about We All Belong at first and that has grown on me immensely. I think alot of the stuff will come through in the live setting. I guess nothing will hit me like Easy Beat did.

Its nice to see "From" made it onto the record. That one has been a favorite for a while.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Me three!

So, just listened to Fate, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. It feels a little strained, like they forced it at times. Of course that's only my first impression. I felt the same way about We All Belong at first and that has grown on me immensely. I think alot of the stuff will come through in the live setting. I guess nothing will hit me like Easy Beat did.

Its nice to see "From" made it onto the record. That one has been a favorite for a while.

This verse of From kills me:

Oh, oh, my God

[Oh my God]

He listens to me

[Listens to me]

When I

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...432-dr-dog-fate

gave it a 5.5 - WTF. I'm not surprised they've never been in this band's corner. It will be fun to watch as everyone else's opinion shifts on the album and it goes nowhere. It's a shame.

I respectfully disagree with Pitchfork. They seem to try and put their neck out just beyond the indie-hipster elite so that they can be on the leading edge. This band's following continues to grow and they get very positive press in other periodicals/avenues.

Personally, I don't think 3 or 4 days have gone by that I haven't listened to these guys since "We All Belong" came out. "Fate" is a great release. I hope that Pitchfork doesn't negatively influence too many folks.

Pitchfork has never liked them.

And everytime Pitchfork reviews them, they mention this New York Times profile, which apparently is the only reason anyone likes them. Has anyone ever actually read this profile?

Pitchfork is just pissed off that someone else tried to make a band become the "band of the moment". That is their job, and is reserved exclusively for them!

Weird Pitchfork review. They basically say they try too hard so they can't just be having fun but that they're formulaic songwriters so they don't accomplish anything important. How about they make good music?

Funny thing about the Beatles references: When I was reading the article and it said Leaman and McMicken, I read Lennon and McCartney. Eerie.

Pitchfork is just pissed off that someone else tried to make a band become the "band of the moment". That is their job, and is reserved exclusively for them!

I think you hit the nail on the head there. They really have never liked this band... We All Belong got a 5.5 as well, and Easy Beat a 4.4. It's like Dr. Dog is the band they take out all their frustrations on. Fuck 'em.

i think it's the worst review i've ever read on Pitchfork.

i think i'm going to e-mail them and tell them as well.

giving this album a lower score than Coldplay, weezer, etc (not that i even hate those records)?

i realize that pitchfork is made up of many people and reviewers who scale things differently, but this was completely ridiculous.

i'm not going to reread the review - it doesn't deserve it - but doesn't the reviewer say they listened through once and couldn't remember anything? they never give any indication that they listened more than once later in the review, so i sincerely think that is exactly what they did - listened once and wrote the horrible review.

i think they must have been second thinking because i noticed how they waited until Friday to put it out there...probably hoping the backlash blew over over the weekend.

i've noticed several reviews saying including "choo choo train" in the lyrics was childish and i wondered if this sentiment was echoed back when Tweedy sang "choo choo charlie" when Being There was reviewed? i don't see what the big deal is about it.