Is anyone going to see R.E.M. on this tour?

Well in a couple weeks I will be heading up to Toronto for a week to attend the Ontario Music Festivals Associations "Provincials" music competition. It's basically a competition where all the best players of classical music in Ontario under 18 go and 'compete' I guess. So I am going for classical guitar and I couldn't be more excited. But nonetheless I am in Toronto for a week and I just bought R.E.M. tickets and got third row and I wondering what am I supposed to expect here? I'm super excited about seeing the National for the first time and although I hated the last Modest Mouse album I do get to see Johnny Marr and hear some older stuff I figure and that will be cool. I'm not sure what to think of the newest R.E.M. album yet but Peter Buck is a great guitar player and they're a pretty legendary band but, I'm just sort of wondering what to expect from R.E.M. from people that have seen them recently?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah! Although I snoozed when the tickets went on sale, I'll be on the lawn for the Raleigh stop of the tour.

Never seen MM, but am excited about seeing Johnny Marr for the first time. I caught The National's set at ACL 2007 and loved loved loved them. I'm nearly as excited about seeing them as I am REM.

cheers,

Kevin

I may be there at the Molson Amp. Probably on the lawn.

Leonard Cohen has a Friday and Saturday night show at the Sony Centre. If ever there were a place for Buckmillsstipe to show up at on a day off, it's that.

Also the Olympic Island festival is on that weekend. I'm not a huge fan of DCDF, but they will be there. Plus some loud ambient band that I know nothing about is at Lee's.

Should be a good weekend to make it to 2 of the 4.

Yeah I had tickets to go to Leonard Cohen in Kitchener because we couldn't get Toronto tickets as they sold out quite fast, I had to give them up alas. I was planning on going to Olympic Island but our actual competition day is the Saturday so odds are we can't go (Stars is playing though lizish! lol). Martha Wainwright is also playing on the Friday but it's 19+ and there's pretty much nothing else going on for the rest of the week that's worth going to, oh well.

Also lizish you can still get tickets I believe on the floor still for the R.E.M. show, it's almost weird that tickets have barely sold. I got front row 200's on Saturday and I could have gotten 6th row floor if I wanted.

When I saw REM in the mid-1990s it was one of the worst concerts I've ever attended. They didn't play a single old track, the sound was shit, Stipe was arrogant, and I swore that no matter whatever happened in the future I'd never spend money on this band again.

So now that they're actually playing songs from before they started sucking I'm not going back on my word.

So no

Yeah it's quite surprising that tickets have sold this little because it's a pretty solid tour. I dunno how people on ebay are selling them for double the price when you can get better tickets on ticketmaster? It's stupid!

When I saw REM in the mid-1990s it was one of the worst concerts I've ever attended. They didn't play a single old track, the sound was shit, Stipe was arrogant, and I swore that no matter whatever happened in the future I'd never spend money on this band again.

So now that they're actually playing songs from before they started sucking I'm not going back on my word.

So no

My first REM show was in 1995. Out of the almost 700 Concerts I have been to I would put it in the top 10.

The Setlist was

23 June 1995 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

support: Luscious Jackson

set: I Took Your Name / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Circus Envy / Turn You Inside-Out / Crush With Eyeliner / Try Not To Breathe / Undertow / Welcome To The Occupation / Bang And Blame / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Half A World Away / Losing My Religion / Orange Crush / Finest Worksong / Get Up / Star 69

encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / So. Central Rain / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Sounds like our expierences were very different. The songs in bold I would consider older songs which they played a handful of. Where or when did you see them?

I just checked Ticketmaster and there are still reserved seats left for the Raleigh show. Wow, I figured it would be sold out by now.

I saw those seats before I went to the actual box office (trying to save a buck, which turned out to be literally just a buck, maybe two--they add the convenience charges there like they do online.) But these were wayy too left for my tastes, and besides, I know of some awesome folks already planning to be on the lawn, so I chose the cheaper route for this one.

Watch Me Fall: Are you going to be on the lawn, or reserved seating?

Cheers,

Kevin

My first REM show was in 1995. Out of the almost 700 Concerts I have been to I would put it in the top 10.

The Setlist was

23 June 1995 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

support: Luscious Jackson

set: I Took Your Name / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Circus Envy / Turn You Inside-Out / Crush With Eyeliner / Try Not To Breathe / Undertow / Welcome To The Occupation / Bang And Blame / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Half A World Away / Losing My Religion / Orange Crush / Finest Worksong / Get Up / Star 69

encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / So. Central Rain / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Sounds like our expierences were very different. The songs in bold I would consider older songs which they played a handful of. Where or when did you see them?

saw REM at least 10 times and loved all of 'em until the last one. was probably a few years before your MSG show ... in philly @ the spectrum ... don't remember exactly when. that's a great set list. i didn't get any catalogue stuff. and i'm not a big "play the oldies" guy. but, ya know, just one would have been cool

very disappointing night.

saw REM at least 10 times and loved all of 'em until the last one. was probably a few years before your MSG show ... in philly @ the spectrum ... don't remember exactly when. that's a great set list. i didn't get any catalogue stuff. and i'm not a big "play the oldies" guy. but, ya know, just one would have been cool

very disappointing night.

Spectrum is a bad place to see a concert. Sound is always fickle there. I am guessing the following is one of the shows you saw ...

12 October 1995 - Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

support: Grant Lee Buffalo

set: Pop Song 89 / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / Try Not To Breathe / Wake-Up Bomb / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Orange Crush / Get Up / Star 69

encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Java - Band Intro / Begin The Begin / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

13 October 1995 - Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

set: I Took Your Name / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Welcome To The Occupation / Wake-Up Bomb / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Begin The Begin / Undertow / Bang And Blame / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Pop Song 89 / Get Up / Star 69

encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Java - Band Intro / Wicked Game / So. Central Rain / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

14 October 1995 - Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

set: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / I Took Your Name / Wake-Up Bomb / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Begin The Begin / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Orange Crush / Get Up / Star 69

encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Java - Band Intro / Pop Song 89 / Departure / Winter (a capella) / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

REM's first tour after the Green tour in 1989 was the Monster Tour which was 1995...

These shows at the spectrum had pretty much next to no older songs...

Sorry you didn't have a good time. I would give them one more chance! They have changed immesly since 1995. You could probably score a cheap ticket on ebay for a pavilion show this summer!

:cheers

Watch Me Fall: Are you going to be on the lawn, or reserved seating?

Cheers,

Kevin

If I go, it will definitely be lawn. Reserved seating is just too expensive. Plus, lawn seating really isn't that bad. We had lawn seats for Radiohead in Charlotte and had an awesome time.

Yeah I had tickets to go to Leonard Cohen in Kitchener because we couldn't get Toronto tickets as they sold out quite fast, I had to give them up alas. I was planning on going to Olympic Island but our actual competition day is the Saturday so odds are we can't go (Stars is playing though lizish! lol). Martha Wainwright is also playing on the Friday but it's 19+ and there's pretty much nothing else going on for the rest of the week that's worth going to, oh well.

Also lizish you can still get tickets I believe on the floor still for the R.E.M. show, it's almost weird that tickets have barely sold. I got front row 200's on Saturday and I could have gotten 6th row floor if I wanted.

Thanks Kalle. Yeah a trip to the island to see Stars and DCDF would not be one of my 'must sees'. Still not sure about going. I'm also not a huge fan of big shows anymore. Much rather see someone not as famous with less that half the people. I think that's why I like the lawn. Not as claustrophobic.

I saw them at Stubb's during SXSW in March and will be seeing them this Saturday at the Sasquatch festival. The SXSW set was surprisingly tight and featured some of the older favorites (Second Guessing, Drive, Fall On Me) so I'm hoping this weekend's performance will be solid as well.

I haven't yet decided if I want to see them here when they play the United Center; if I do go, it'll likely be a last minute affair.

Hells yeah I'm seeing REM. Why would any REM fan miss them when they're actually touring for a great record this time around? It's all about waiting it out. If you missed the 2003 tour, then you wouldn't know they played enough oldies to choke a horse. On an unrelated note....Who else got tickets to Tom Waits? I got tickets to both Phoenix nights.

I hear you, Luke! While I enjoyed hearing "Camera" at their Raleigh stop in 2003 (in the pouring rain, I might add) I'm looking forward to a rock show coming up in June. As for Waits, I'm on board for the K__BA stops. I hear the Orpheum is gorgeous!

Kevin