Is anyone going to see R.E.M. on this tour?

Didn't Wilco open for them there one year? Have fun!

Yup! That was actually my first Wilco show--as an opener for REM on 27Aug1999 at Walnut Creek.

I was 5th row, I think, and Wilco upstaged REM for that show. I was hooked from that show onward.

Kevin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup! That was actually my first Wilco show--as an opener for REM on 27Aug1999 at Walnut Creek.

I was 5th row, I think, and Wilco upstaged REM for that show. I was hooked from that show onward.

Kevin

Pretty cool. I saw REM on the 2003 tour in Atlanta, but Pete Yorn was the opener. I was pretty upset because I had wanted to see Wilco instead but the show rocked regardless. It was the last show of the tour and they must've played 3 hours.

I'll be seeing them twice next weekend at the Hollywood Bowl Thursday and then the Greek Theatre in Berkeley on Saturday. I've seen REM about a dozen times over the last 20 years and they always put on a good show.

Amazing setlist tonight in Vancouver!

A few highlights:

Gardening At Night

West Of The Fields

Second Guessing

Time After Time (Annelise)

Disturbance At The Heron House

Ignoreland (live debut)

Sweetness Follows

Country Feedback (spontaneous and unrehearsed, according to Michael)

They also did a gorgeous acoustic version of Let Me In.

Amazing setlist tonight in Vancouver!

A few highlights:

Gardening At Night

West Of The Fields

Second Guessing

Time After Time (Annelise)

Disturbance At The Heron House

Ignoreland (live debut)

Sweetness Follows

Country Feedback (spontaneous and unrehearsed, according to Michael)

They also did a gorgeous acoustic version of Let Me In.

Im jealous! I was hoping one day they would do Ignoreland live..did MIchael use a megaphone on this? :dancing

I went to Sasquatch over Memorial Day weekend. R.E.M. were the headliner on Friday night and one of the best acts all weekend. They came on late in driving rain and very windy conditions after perfect weather all day. The band ran with the bad weather and had a lot of fun especially a chipper and funny Michael Stipe. The set-list was a nice mix of old chestnuts, the new album and the staples like "Losing My Religion" and "Man In the Moon" you would expect. He might be 50 but Peter Buck still managed lots of kicks and jumps. Overall, it seemed like the new album has re-energized the band. This was a rocking show with only about 4 or 5 slower songs in the set and for the first time in ages it seems like the chemistry amongst the band members is good. The new stuff sounds really good live as those who have the album might expect. They played "Life and How To Live It", "Auctioneer" and "Harborcoat" - songs I have been listening to for over twenty years. They nailed "These Days" which always been one of my favourite REM songs. I hadn't seen the set-list from the night before so was floored when they played a cracking version of "Ignoreland". Frankly, I couldn't have expected a better performance. After "Reveal" and "Around The Sun" I felt I was about done with the band. After "Accelerate" and this show I feel more like the raving REM fan I was at 16.

Last but not least it was a great weekend. Other stellar performances included Michael Franti, The Whigs, MIA, Pela, Stephen Malkmus, Tegan and Sara, The Blakes,Fleet Foxes, the Hives and the National. Unfortunately we had to leave on Monday night before the Flaming Lips came on.

Here are some clips of REM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0OjBlkATA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mktpDIoxXMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4gx8fWAMgU

I also loved their Sasquatch performance. The acoustic version of "Let Me In" with everyone standing around the piano just killed me. I was really excited to hear "Harborcoat"- had no idea it was only the third time they'd played that one live!

I also somehow missed Peter Buck wiping out in a puddle as he took the stage! D'oh!

How lucky the Vancouver fans were! What a great setlist. I would have loved to hear "Country Feedback". Ohhhh.

I caught them last time they were in Minneapolis, Excellent show, but I don't think I can afford to go this time. I wouldn't mind seeing modest mouse once, esp if Johnny Marr is still with em.

MM were SO so disappointing last spring here at the Orpheum, even w/ Marr

they've always been hit or miss for me (first time i saw them was in '97), but that one was particularly bad

they've always been hit or miss for me (first time i saw them was in '97), but that one was particularly bad

I've been watching videos of them from this tour on Youtube and haven't been impressed. I really hated We Were Dead... so I hope they vary their setlists a bit more like they have been.

Got tickets to the Chicago show. I wasn't too excited about seeing them at the United Center, but we're on the lower level so maybe it won't be TOO bad... :ermm

:cheekkiss This was a sweet little birthday surprise.

Thats exactly what I hear from people who have seen them.

Thanks to the ticket fairy, I was there too. I hadn't seen R.E.M. since 2003, and I really enjoyed this show. "Find the River" is one of my favorite songs, so it was great to see it again, but the major highlight for me was "Ignoreland." I haven't been keeping up with setlists at all, so I was completely surprised and thrilled when I figured out which song Michael was introducing.

Nice review there and the setlist looked pretty inclusive of older stuff and the highlights of the new album. Pity you had to miss The National. How did they come on before MM? Down to sales or how do they schedule that?

Nice review there and the setlist looked pretty inclusive of older stuff and the highlights of the new album. Pity you had to miss The National. How did they come on before MM? Down to sales or how do they schedule that?

Modest Mouse are a WAY way bigger band in America than The National are, both in terms of record and ticket sales.

MM's 'Good News' went platinum, and I'd be surprised if the National have an album that has sold much over 100k (if that much) in the US up until now.

Modest Mouse are a WAY way bigger band in America than The National are, both in terms of record and ticket sales.

MM's 'Good News' went platinum, and I'd be surprised if the National have an album that has sold much over 100k (if that much) in the US up until now.

Aren't you a media head...tastemaker amongst internet denizens? Stop falling asleep on the job!

Great show at Merriweather (DC) last night. They're mixing up the new songs and the classics very well. If you're at all on the fence about seeing R.E.M. this year, go ahead and do it. They're playing great right now. And the National are pretty good too.

1. Finest Worksong

2. Living Well Is the Best Revenge

3. Bad Day

4. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

5. Drive

6. Ignoreland

7. Man-Sized Wreath

8. Little America

9. Hollow Man

10. Walk Unafraid.

11. Houston

12. Electrolite