So is it goofy shit like this that makes all other baseball fans hate the red sox?

Perhaps. Having fun should be taboo in baseball. That, and spending large amounts of money wisely.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it goofy shit like this that makes all other baseball fans hate the red sox?

kind of.

i am trying to figure out what song kerry wood and carlos marmol would perform? easy lover?

edit: i do not mind the red sox but believe this is what such people would latch onto.

That's a shame, and while i will admit that i have a bias, i think that a team having fun is the pinnacle of sports and sportsmanship. The sox aren't perfect; they have clubhouse issues periodically and now and then there's a tantrum, but they know how to have fun and they seem to genuinely enjoy the game and each others company. I am not sure i'd want it any other way. but i'm just a dumb bornintoit red sox fan.

That's a shame, and while i will admit that i have a bias, i think that a team having fun is the pinnacle of sports and sportsmanship. The sox aren't perfect; they have clubhouse issues periodically and now and then there's a tantrum, but they know how to have fun and they seem to genuinely enjoy the game and each others company. I am not sure i'd want it any other way. but i'm just a dumb bornintoit red sox fan.

on the flip side, it is much easier to bond when you are the best team in baseball during the past 5 years.

Speaking for myself, I love when teams have fun. The other day the Rangers played slip n' slide on the tarp. That was fun. I enjoyed that, and I don't have a problem with the Red Sox for doing this.

My problems with the Red Sox stem from a few things:

1. They spend copious amounts of money, often times throwing stupid amounts at the the same players as the Yankees and yet still try to make the Yankees look like the bad guys.

2. Many of their fans seem to have a sense of entitlement simply because they rooted for a bad team prior to 5 years ago. Cubs fans have this too. This makes it seem like their "loyalty" makes them better fans than the rest of us.

3. Everyone hates a winner, and Red Sox fans absolutely cannot grasp this concept. If the Rays had won 2 of the last 4 titles while spending close to a billion dollars to do so, people would damn sure hate them too.

4. ESPN, being a gigantic media company whose only worry is the bottom line, definitely helps push the Red Sox down the throats of the rest of the league's fans (along with the Cubs, Mets, and Yankees). When 40% of the discussion on BBTN is about 4 teams, people start getting bitter.

5. Everyone hates a winner. This is seriously a big part of it, that's why it's their twice. Everyone hated the Yankees in the early aughts, everyone hates the Cowboys in the early 90's, everyone rooted against the Lakers in the early aughts. Bill Bellichek ranks behind Barry Bonds and Tim Donnaghy as the most hated people in sports, and only a little bit of that has to do with Spy Gate.

6. The whole "idiots" persona during '03 was a bunch of crap. It's easy to have fun when you are winning. But if they were a .500 team, they wouldn't have been doing shots before games. It's not like the Red Sox just have naturally fun players (except Manny). Everyone loves winning, and nobody is going to rock the boat when you are doing so.

It's nothing personal. The rest of the country didn't up and decide to hate you guys for no reason. It comes with the territory.

3. Everyone hates a winner, and Red Sox fans absolutely cannot grasp this concept.

Absolutely untrue, from my vantage point. I do understand this and think most Sox fans do, too. I just find the money/contract reasons to be vapid and a case of sour grapes.

Hating the Sox for being good is fine in my book and comes with the territory.

my only real complaint is having to hear reference to red sox nation or the nation everytime espn shows a highlight.

ramirez and edmonds back to back. GO CUBS NATION!

1. They spend copious amounts of money, often times throwing stupid amounts at the the same players as the Yankees and yet still try to make the Yankees look like the bad guys.

The Yankees are the bad guys because they're division rivals - it's pretty simple.

I don't hate the Red Sox, though they're not a team I often cheer for.

I think many of their fans are morons, but I think many fans of ANY team are morons.

I hate the Yankees more than any team in any professional sport, so the Red Sox are OK by me.

6. The whole "idiots" persona during '03 was a bunch of crap. It's easy to have fun when you are winning. But if they were a .500 team, they wouldn't have been doing shots before games. It's not like the Red Sox just have naturally fun players (except Manny). Everyone loves winning, and nobody is going to rock the boat when you are doing so.

Not only that, but if a team were having that much fun while losing, they'd get a whole lot of shit about it from both media and fans. The same attitude that is endearing when you're a winner makes you look like a jerk who doesn't care about the game when you're losing.

That being said, I don't have a whole lot against the Red Sox. I find most of their players to be very likable. I do hate the way the media covers them, but that's not entirely the team's fault.

Sweep, Sweep, Sweep!!! 14 WINS in a row at home for the Cubbies.

You CANT win in our house!!!! GO CUBS!!!

See you next weekend SUX!

Us Tiger fans thank-you Cubs!

I went to the Tigers vs Padres game on Sunday in San Diego. Petco is a very very well done park. Too bad nobody attended the game. The fans are a bit confused there though. Some guy with his shirt off kept telling me to go back to Boston. WTF?

-Ben

Not to mention:

indiansclowns.JPG

blackguys.gif