• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an old-time chicago rivalry. There is alot of bragging rights in these games. You gotta take it when you lose and gloat when you win. It's all part of the fun.

Jen, were you aware of this?

:twitchsmile

:rolleyes

:lol

Jen, were you aware of this?

:twitchsmile

:rolleyes

:lol

I don't think i was aware that there was a rivalry between the white sox and the cubs. I must have missed the "good sportsmanship memo" where it was discussed. Also as a follower of the Red Sox, we don't usually fall into those sorts of traps.

A surprising comparison of Mark Buehrle and Tom Glavine drawn up by a poster on a White Sox board:

I was looking at Baseball Reference and saw that they rated Buehrle and Glavine to be very similar through age 28. I decided to check the stats of each respective pitcher and this is what each had done through age 28.

As a point of reference, Buehrle's stats are form 2000-2007 while Glavine's are from 1987-1994. Both pitchers had 8 years of service time through age 28.

Win-Loss Record

Buehrle: 107-75

Glavine: 108-75

The similarity there is beyond striking. Those are near exact numbers through 8 seasons in MLB.

ERA

Buehrle: 3.80

Glavine: 3.58

Glavine has a better ERA, but only slightly better. Buehrle's higher number is likely indicative of the power hitters that dominate AL line-ups. I think we can call this a wash.

Games Pitched/Started

Buehrle: 259/234

Glavine 233/233

Games started is nearly identical, but that's no surprise when each pitcher has spent about the same amount of itme in a starting rotaiton and neither misses starts. This is a wash.

Complete Games/Shutouts

Buehrle: 22/7

Glavine 30/12

I was sort of shocked that Buehrle only had 7 shutouts, but one of those is a no-hitter. Still, the edge goes to Glavine here as he has more CGs and SOs.

Innings Pitched

Buehrle: 1,629.0

Glavine: 1522.3

Buehrle is ahead here, but the difference isn't that great. While each pitcher has started about the same number of games during the selected years, Buehrle had 25 relief appearances. Lets assume that Buehrle has gone about 75 more innings in games started then. That comes out to about an extra 1/3 inning per start for Buehrle. Not too much of a difference, but still a nice edge to the 200 IP per year workhorse.

Hits

Buehrle: 1,681

Glavine: 1,467

Glavine gave up fewer hits, but Buehrle also pitched more innings. Still, Glavine comes out ahead in hits per inning.

HRs

Buehrle: 187

Glavine: 104

This isn't surprising. Buehrle pitches in the #1 hitters park in baseball. Any Sox pitcher is going to give up a lot of home runs. Granted Glavine did pitch in County, but I believe more HRs are hit per season at the cell than were at Fulton County. Someone can check that one out.

Walks

Buehrle: 373

Glavine: 513

This is a clear edge to Buehrle and his amazing control.

Strikeouts

Buehrle: 943

Glavine: 904

Buehrle has the slight edge here. This surprised me as he isn't seen as a strikeout pitcher. Either way, his K/BB ratio is the clear winner here.

If Buerhle can continue pitching until he is 42 with no noticable drop in production like Glavine. I think it is also important to note that Glavine was better compared to his league than Buerhle. Baseball production does not happen in a vaccuum. Buerhle has a career 121 ERA+ without any sort of decline phase, whereas Glavine's is at 118 despite his decline phase.

Though I will say Glavine isn't as big a slam dunk HOFer as Maddux or Smoltz, and he was never as good as either. Buerhle is very comparable to him, but I'd say he's a major long shot at best to sustain his career as long as Glavine has.

I think it is also important to note that Glavine was better compared to his league than Buerhle. Baseball production does not happen in a vaccuum. Buerhle has a career 121 ERA+ without any sort of decline phase, whereas Glavine's is at 118 despite his decline phase.

Not through age 28. Glavine's ERA+ was only 108. I guess one thing that's impressive about Glavine's career is that he got better as the league started roiding up.

Hmm, that is strange. I assumed since offensive levels were higher during his time, it would be the opposite. I also can't believe he was only at 108 when he had seasons of 80, 99, 94, 153, 133, 127, and 106. That seems off...

i like buerhle as a player and a person and i like it that he isnt considered one of the big time pitchers. he hasnt had a super great year since '05 so he is a little off the media radar (outside of chicago maybe). but '01-'05 he was one of the best. yeah i think he can last into his 40s, he has great control and doesnt overthrow. similar to glavine so he has the stones to make it that far. as far as HOF, i think he would need to claim a Cy Young, lead in seasonal wins one or two years, over 250 career wins....who knows? that can still all happen. go buerhle!

Wow. I could probably hit .122 in Rookie ball. I could probably strike out fewer times, too.

I have never played organized baseball in my life.

Guest Jules
Wow. I could probably hit .122 in Rookie ball. I could probably strike out fewer times, too.

I have never played organized baseball in my life.

No offense, but I doubt it.

You're probably right ... but if there's one thing I have going for me physically, it's hand-eye coordination.

I'm also a switch-hitter (NAPE).