the Hold Steady - Stay Positive

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen what the guy looks like before, but I guess I can see why some people might

think he's heavy. He's got a head bigger than Peter Griffin.

holdsteady460.jpg

The album sounds good, though I'm not sure I needed another booze and drug

infused collection of songs. I kind of wish they branched out lyrically.

They have maybe two songs that echo Springsteen in their entire catalogue, and neither of them are on this record.

dude, don't you know? piano + keyboards = bruce & the e street band

totes obvs

The biggest Springsteen influences I hear with these guys are their whacky Greetings/Shuffle-like characters and all those layers of instruments (most notably the keys and the horns) blending together to create that "wall of sound." Definitely some similarities, but different animals. I also agree that this is a very strong album. I'm looking forward to the vinyl release.

dude, don't you know? piano + keyboards = bruce & the e street band

And don't forget the touches of Saxophone too ;).

This may be my favorite album by these guys yet.

not anywhere close to my favorite of theirs. just not as fun/catchy as the last one, and feel like it doesn't flow nearly as well as Boys & Girls or SS either. curious what the criticsl reviews will be like. i'm sure a few will love it and call it their best (mostly places like Spin, Rolling Stone, who are always playing catch up), but i think overall most will rate it lower than the last 2 by a little bit.

as for Sequestered, it's getting some airplay up here, but not as much yet as 3-4 songs off the last one did. the last album had a handful of songs catchier/more anthemic than that track.

And don't forget the touches of Saxophone too ;) .

haha, yeah i mean to say keys + horns, not keys + piano :stunned

apparently people are very sensitive about Springsteen references.

I mean, what is it based on? I'll admit "Stuck Between Stations" sounds like Springsteen a lot, and I think that was a conscious nod. I would also argue "Hostile, Mass" is fairly Springsteen-esque, but other than that, I don't hear it, and especially not on this record.

They have maybe two songs that echo Springsteen in their entire catalogue, and neither of them are on this record.

the new single sounds exactly like 70's era springsteen or these guys below, take your pick. and sounding like springsteen is a compliment in my book. however, i can't comment on the rest of the album as i haven't heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgloaS4NGyM

;)

Google was my friend.

Anyway, after a few listens, I like the album alot. Like I said before, Boys and Girls is my fave by far. This one will probably fit snugly into second place. The only song I'm struggling with so far is Navy Sheets. Kind of like Same Kooks last time.

His songwriting just gets deeper and deeper, if you ask me. This one's definitely a grower.

Jack

I mean, what is it based on? I'll admit "Stuck Between Stations" sounds like Springsteen a lot, and I think that was a conscious nod. I would also argue "Hostile, Mass" is fairly Springsteen-esque, but other than that, I don't hear it, and especially not on this record.

"First Night"

Just finished my second run through this thing and my opinion has improved somewhat. The latter half of the album far outshines the first, imo. Everything from Both Crosses through Slapped Actress is first rate--but it is kind of hit and miss up to that point.

Not my favorite record, so far, but this one has the feel of a grower, so time will tell.

Just finished my second run through this thing and my opinion has improved somewhat. The latter half of the album far outshines the first, imo. Everything from Both Crosses through Slapped Actress is first rate--but it is kind of hit and miss up to that point.

Not my favorite record, so far, but this one has the feel of a grower, so time will tell.

*nod*

totes agree with that