the Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Speculation that the harpsichord musically provides the same juxtaposition as the debutante college girl partying with the townies.

That is certainly what the sound of a harpsichord means to me - Debutantes and Cotillions.

Agreeance on the second half being much more like able. Think I'll just end up skipping 2 songs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stay Positive" is the "What Light" of this record.

That is neither praise nor criticism, just an observation that one song made me think of the other. I will now sit back and watch the ensuing firestorm. :ninja

"Stay Positive" is the "What Light" of this record.

You are wrong and clearly know nothing about music. Also Jeff Tweedy is superior to Bob Dylan in all ways. :wave

edit: oh, and I love this album after multiple listens. I'm a bit surprised at some of the criticism.

edit: oh, and I love this album after multiple listens. I'm a bit surprised at some of the criticism.

most of the criticism i've seen/read/heard isn't really criticism as much as it is stating that the album is great, just not their best work. i also just miss some of the fun of the first 3 records... this album only has a couple songs that i'd truly consider really fun songs.

most of the criticism i've seen/read/heard isn't really criticism as much as it is stating that the album is great, just not their best work. i also just miss some of the fun of the first 3 records... this album only has a couple songs that i'd truly consider really fun songs.

or songs of beauty. There is no 'citris' or 'you can make him like you'.

I'm finding "Lord, I'm Discouraged" quite beautiful myself.....

def one of the better songs on the record, but i'd say that after the intro and especially towards the very end it's a bit more butt rock/80's power ballad than it is truly "beautiful", but probably the closest candidate on the album

I love this band, but this record is just not doing it for me. I've played it a lot too, hoping for it to catch me and pull me in. That's not going to happen. The album starts off great, love the first two tracks, but after that there isn't much that resonates.

i am enjoying it more than i did on my first few listens, but there is just something off and i definitely think it has to do with the flow. as much as i like the harpsichord in "one for the cutters" it just sounds really odd coming out of "sequestered." still going to play with the tracklisting.

The album starts off great, love the first two tracks, but after that there isn't much that resonates.

I'm the opposite. I don't really like the first song, the next couple are okay but uneven...and just when I was about to give up on it, the second half of the record really pulled me in. Overall, I think its a pretty good record, just not my favorite.

I love this band, but this record is just not doing it for me. I've played it a lot too, hoping for it to catch me and pull me in. That's not going to happen. The album starts off great, love the first two tracks, but after that there isn't much that resonates.

This is how I feel.

After 1/2 dozen listens I'm just lukewarm on this. I'm reserving final judgment until I see where it ends

up in Solace's top 100 list. :monkey

:lol I'm still really liking this. I've used it to help me cut the grass, drink beer, read, ride stationary bike, etc. It's close to "Boys and Girls in America" for me.