Hey'all

I'm guessing that us here at VC are a fan of the noise. We all know that Wilco are some of the best noisemakers around. Sooo as a fun little exploration, I thought it might be cool for us to name some of our personal favorite noise-makin' devices (if you're into that kinda thing).

Mine:

FM3 Buddha Machine

Kaoss Pad

AM Radio (hopefully broken)

How about you, neighbor? :music

I just bought a EHX Delay pedal, with no intention of using as a 'noise' pedal as such but have discovered some it has some disgusting habits

pretty cheap too, other than that I just turn the holy grail up full, same with the overdrive and just run stuff up and down the neck

i have a homemade 15 watt guitar amp that picks up a local black church sermon on Am radio...imagine "....lays his hands on yoooouuuuuu...the power and the gloryyyyyyy..." with reverb and distortion

other toys...optico-theremin, ebow with a multitude of pedal settings, a Black and Decker mouse sander, screwdriver under the strings of a guitar (ala sonic youth), a few circuit bent toys...

FUZZ FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I tried it out in the store, it freaked me out because it has a mind of its own. But I do love playing it.

Slow rake up the neck with some trauma shears with a shitload of overdrive and neverending delay!

my fist

...easy

:lol

FUZZ FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has a mind of its own. But I do love playing it.

This is true.

I've had mine for about a year now...that and an "Ooh-Wah".

The factory battery finally gave up the ghost in the FF so I replaced the batts in them both.

Apparently over the course of 12+ months the output had dropped gradually and I must've been compensating @ the amp etc.

I'd had it dialed into the sweetest raging torrent of fuzz before...suddenly it's all awash in searing feedback and heavy clipping.

It's "neat-o" is my point....

$299 pedals make Golden Smoghead a sad boy.

seriously looking to venture further out into pedal-land, but the cost factor scares me out of everything I am interested in basically. Right now I'm just using my Boss ME-50 to cover most things... So, I guess my question is, noisemaker under $100 that is worth a damn? If not then eh. I should learn the licks I've been working on better, anyway.

I got an Earthquaker Hummingbird recently, really good for choppy tremolo sounds. I don't use the fastest settings, but they can give you some cool ring-mod type sounds. I did notice that it seems to work better, for lack of a better word, with single note playing rather than chords, but I'm still playing around with settings.

With regard to Golden Smoghead's question about $100 or cheaper noisemakers, have you tried a Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain? They're kind of neat, although a bit restrictive as far as what effects you can use together (you can't use tremolo with, say, reverb, but you can with any of their gain settings).

• 1 month later...

A cool way to make noise I've used a couple times in recording -- I open tune a guitar or bass to the major chord that they key of the song is in. So if the song is in C, I tune the guitar to open C...etc. Anyway, you can lay the guitar on the ground and sort of hammer on the body with both fists (pinky side) and get some really odd swells and cool sounds.