I'm Not There soundtrack

I do a radio show *plug* *plug* (no show this week though) and I play a lot of stuff off this album. There's a bunch of stuff I don't care for but the Jim James, Jeff Tweedy, Sonic Youth, Iron & Wine, and Bob Dylan songs are all very good.

It's awesome- i'm always curious about other oartists nterpretations of dylan tunes.

although many are pretty much straight performances, the different artists representing the music is pretty wide ranging- I find/ hear new stuff every time I play it.

Get it.

Play it.

Repeat!

Oh yeah- I saw aDylan benefit in NYC in 2006- the Roots did a most incredible version of Masters of War - stole the show....not on soundtrack...

A friend of mine who is a Dylanophile is obsessed with the one, newly unearthed Basement Tapes song that appears on there -- "I'm Not There". Apparently, it makes the entire thing entirely worthwhile. (He calls it one of the best songs that Dylan ever wrote, and therefore, one of the best songs of all-time. And he cannot understand why it has gone unreleased for so long.)

A friend of mine who is a Dylanophile is obsessed with the one, newly unearthed Basement Tapes song that appears on there -- "I'm Not There". Apparently, it makes the entire thing entirely worthwhile. (He calls it one of the best songs that Dylan ever wrote, and therefore, one of the best songs of all-time. And he cannot understand why it has gone unreleased for so long.)

it's not really written. my understanding of it (from reading Invisible Republic) was that he made it up as he went along - it was played one time, made up during that 'one time', and never played again. when i heard an mp3 of it there wasn't a huge amount of difference between the sound quality from The Basement Tapes and the soundtrack version, so i've never bothered to buy the new thing. i'm one of those people that didn't really like the soundtrack, though - there are one or two good songs, but generally it's not up to much, especially when you compare the songs to interpretations by bands like The Byrds, Fairport Convention, The Band, Manfred Mann etc....

it's not really written. my understanding of it (from reading Invisible Republic) was that he made it up as he went along - it was played one time, made up during that 'one time', and never played again.
Obviously...since the words make NO sense....

I like the soundtrack. It's fun. But it didnt strike me that there were a lot of interpretations going on. A lot of rehashing.
But it is a fun set of covers....

LouieB

But it is a fun set of covers....

LouieB

I must be thinking of another song. Sorry about that.

Still... there's some previously unreleased song that he's freaking about.

The soundtrack album for the Bob Dylan biopic I'm Not There was released as a double CD on October 30, 2007. It features various artists' recordings of songs from Dylan, and a previously unreleased Dylan recording of the title song "I'm Not There", which was recorded during the The Basement Tapes sessions. Fragments from less than than half of the titles are actually heard in the film, which relies more on original Dylan material.A four-LP version was also released. It features the various artists on the record holding up the side numbers on cue cards, modeled after the "Subterranean Homesick Blues" scene from Dylan's 1967 film Dont Look Back.

John Doe's version of "Pressing On" was ranked #52 by Rolling Stone on their 100 Best Songs of 2007 list, while Sonic Youth's cover of "I'm Not There" was ranked at #83 by Pitchfork Media on their Top 100 Tracks of 2007.

Disc One

1. "All Along the Watchtower" by Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers

2. "I'm Not There" by Sonic Youth

3. "Goin' To Acapulco" by Jim James and Calexico

4. "Tombstone Blues" by Richie Havens

5. "Ballad of a Thin Man" by Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers

6. "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" by Cat Power

7. "Pressing On" by John Doe

8. "Fourth Time Around" by Yo La Tengo

9. "Dark Eyes" by Iron & Wine and Calexico

10. "Highway 61 Revisited" by Karen O and the Million Dollar Bashers

11. "One More Cup of Coffee" by Roger McGuinn and Calexico

12. "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" by Mason Jennings

13. "Billy 1" by Los Lobos

14. "Simple Twist of Fate" by Jeff Tweedy

15. "Man in the Long Black Coat" by Mark Lanegan

16. "Se

My favorites are-

"I'm Not There" by Sonic Youth. They nail this one cold.

"Goin' To Acapulco" by Jim James and Calexico. I would call this taking a pretty average song and turning it into something fun and interesting. Not a classic, but nice. Also one of my favorite scenes in the film.

"Pressing On" by John Doe. Terrific stuff. Not enough to convert me to Jesus, but pretty goddamn close.

"Simple Twist of Fate" by Jeff Tweedy. It's JT, how can you go wrong. And they were smart not to let anyone else do this one.

"Se

I must be thinking of another song. Sorry about that.

Still... there's some previously unreleased song that he's freaking about.

That is probably the song. It was on a bootleg previously and it is one of two "masterpeices" of sorts that have never been officially released (at least until this one was); the other being Sign on the Cross. Both are fairly much improvised songs which undoubtedly never were performed again.

LouieB

I enjoyed it a lot more after I finally saw the movie - just added a lot of context for some reason and more of the songs hit home.

I seem to be alone in this but I don't really enjoy Tweedy's cover ... I was so excited to see that he was doing that song when the tracklist was released but I just don't like that he sings the whole thing in his upper vocal register and hits the "sat together in the park! / as the evening sky grew dark!" parts so hard. Again, just me though.

I enjoyed it a lot more after I finally saw the movie - just added a lot of context for some reason and more of the songs hit home.

I seem to be alone in this but I don't really enjoy Tweedy's cover ... I was so excited to see that he was doing that song when the tracklist was released but I just don't like that he sings the whole thing in his upper vocal register and hits the "sat together in the park! / as the evening sky grew dark!" parts so hard. Again, just me though.

jeff based his version more like the one that Dylan did on SNL in 1975

yeah, they don't, but it does make sense on an emotional level - which is kind of what i feel a lot of his songs from the previous few years were trying to achieve at times. the words don't make sense literally, but work together to produce certain emotions when taken as a whole. only with this song it's taken to extremes due to the off-the-cuff nature (although that's probably how a lot of his songs started out anyway). sign on the cross is another great example from the basement tapes, as you say, but personally i find that drags on a little too long.

sufjans ring them bells is amazing

that's one of the few songs i really liked on the soundtrack, and i don't even like him normally.

that's one of the few songs i really liked on the soundtrack, and i don't even like him normally.
Again this shows the power of a really great song that can't be dimished by a luke warm performer.

LouieB