071010-crocodile-tears_big.jpg

Yeah, we can all cheer that a man has died. Curious: I read your quote..."A nation of bullies and bastards". Just wondering what kind of people celebrate the death of another?

I'll bet you moved to the once-great state of NH from Massachusetts. Recently. :heehee

Yeah, we can all cheer that a man has died. Curious: I read your quote..."A nation of bullies and bastards". Just wondering what kind of people celebrate the death of another?

I'll bet you moved to the once-great state of NH from Massachusetts. Recently. :heehee

Helms was the very definition of a bully, picking on the powerless - a bigoted, racist asshole - I do not morn his loss.

In case you

Welcome to the board?

I dunno, I like to think when people I dislike die, I can do well enough by just shutting the fuck up. That says more to me than anything.

Nothing says "class" like kicking someone when they are 6 feet down, even someone like Jesse Helms.

I'm temporarily locking this thread. It is taking the weekend off.

We can talk about Jesse Helms on Monday, okay? A mod will unlock it then.

But for now, can we please enjoy the holiday? Participate in the patriotic threads if you want. Let's just step away from the negative for now, okay?

Thank you! :)

The mud-slinging personal attacks stop here, or this thread will simply be closed.

I happen to also feel that Helms was a pretty foul human being, but look! I managed to state my feelings without attacking anyone, and while being civil! Amazing!!!

Any death is sad, because the person will have been loved by family and friends. So, there's that. It's hard for me, personally, to be sad about the passing of a guy who was as hateful as Helms. It's ok to have opinions, people....no one here expects that you won't....but say your piece stating that it's your opinion, without lacing the post through and through with obscenities, without sneering at other posters, without personal attacks. If the subject matter makes you so angry that you can't see straight or post with civility, well, then, it's best you refrain from posting.

Edit: .....Aaaand the ever-vigilant Wendy posted her post, above, as I was typing my own. :lol Good call, Wendy. We'll let this one rest & maybe later people can be calmer. Happy 4th-of-July-weekend to you! :thumbup

Wait till you hear what people say about you after you're gone.

I'm glad this got re-opened. Let Helms' record speak for itself. The man stood in direct contrast to everything America is supposed to be about (I said supposed). Robert Byrd saw the error of his previous convictions, evidently Helms never did.

I hope that wherever he is he's surrounded by nothing but African-American Communist lesbian women.

Dying doesn't make you a better human being, it just means you're dead. If you want people to say something nice about you and/or show some respect for you after you die, while you’re still alive, don't be an a-hole. Unfortunately, Mr. Helms led a life that deserves little respect, in life and now in death.

Although I think it can be tasteless to slam a person who's recently died, I can mostly agree with this. Doesn't mean he didn't have good qualities or wasn't loved.

I hope that wherever he is he's surrounded by nothing but African-American Communist lesbian women.

:rotfl

I concur.

but I also digress, he did have a family and was loved. I'm sure they are saddened by his death. I heard also that when the page boys were asked who was their favorite republican, who was nicest, etc, they would mostly say Jesse Helms. hmm...

Why say mean things about a person who is dead? They are, after all, just dead.

Helms' death is/was a reason to begin discussing Helms. I don't care what the reason is/was, but any discussion of Helms requires us to be honest about who he was and what he stood for. That being said, it should be possible for us to be honest about who he was and what he stood for while remaining respectful. Theoretically.

EDIT: I should also add that it should be possible for us to have a thread without the two of you arguing. Again, theoretically.

Why say mean things about a person who is dead? They are, after all, just dead.

There is certainly a difference between speaking truth and just being mean. A lot of truth surrounding Helms comes across as sounding mean when spoken about because he had views that are so far from moderate, rational discourse in this day.

Just because someone is dead doesn't mean we shouldn't revisit and consider all that made them human - both good and bad. I have experienced this myself recently with the sudden death of my ex-husband. It is so incredibly complex to mourn someone who spent a chunk of their lives cloaked in darkness and addiction, could be intensely abusive and cruel but also incredibly vulnerable, kind and caring. It is important to address everything about a person instead of thinking, "well, that's just mean. We shouldn't talk about that." Facing the complexities of a human being makes everything that much more difficult - but who ever said life (and death) were easy?

well said

Indeed.