New new election thread

Guest Jules

Once again, there really wasn't a 'discussion' here anyway. My morning started with another questioning of how I can live with myself after voting for Bush. It's ridiculous and fun, but it's been done. I'm fine with my decision, and that's that.

Let's move on if possible.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So calling someone a euphemism for a penis isn't using profanity?

It's a nice escape route. If two people are being assholes (As FHF and I clearly are), and only one of them is using profanity, then the one who isn't can easily take a moral high ground and say "Look at his words! They mean the same as mine but have a negative connotation!"

Why don't we take a month off from all this?

There was some internet buffoonery about Obama's birth a few months back, and the state of Hawaii released a copy of his birth certificate so that "controversy" has already been diffused.

But yeah, McCain was born in Panama and I guess there is some ambiguity about his eligibility based on some confusing wording in the Constitution. But I think pretty much everyone agrees that the Founders did not intend to exclude children of soldiers born on military bases outside of the U.S. from the Presidency (they actually probably didn't consider the possibility that the U.S. would have military bases on foreign soil, but had they anticipated that, they no doubt would not have excluded those soldiers children from being able to be president). It's an interesting Constitutional question I guess, but not one that I would really expect to go anywhere.

There was some internet buffoonery about Obama's birth a few months back, and the state of Hawaii released a copy of his birth certificate so that "controversy" has already been diffused.

But yeah, McCain was born in Panama and I guess there is some ambiguity about his eligibility based on some confusing wording in the Constitution. But I think pretty much everyone agrees that the Founders did not intend to exclude children of soldiers born on military bases outside of the U.S. from the Presidency (they actually probably didn't consider the possibility that the U.S. would have military bases on foreign soil, but had they anticipated that, they no doubt would not have excluded those soldiers children from being able to be president). It's an interesting Constitutional question I guess, but not one that I would really expect to go anywhere.

Oh yeah, I'm not calling McCain's qualification into question. Just found it a tiny bit ironic.

For sure. Agreed on that.

To be honest, I'm not even sure who gets to make that decision if someone wanted to challenge McCain's eligibility, or even who would be the one to challenge it. I mean, it is something that would have to go through the courts I guess, but who would have standing to file a suit like that? The attorney general? I honestly don't know.

I dunno, Bobs, I kinda agree with FHF here. The whole "fake birth certificate" thing seems to be along the lines of the keep saying it and some people will start to think it's true and/or not remember if it's true.

yep, keep throwing shit like this out there and some people will believe it. we can laugh about the absurdity of it all we want, but the sad reality is that it works.