New new election thread

The ego is strong in this one. I like how Edwards blamed his philandering on the development of his fat ego via the campaign process. Yeah, John, ownership of the problem is still developing. And is anyone up on this idea that Elizabeth pushed the publishing of the story out of vengeance? What's up with that? Rake his nuts over the coals. Ouch. But I still you.

here's what bugs me: for years politicians would not own up to wrongdoing of any kind. then, recently, certain politicians began to think that saying "i made a mistake" is taking responsibility. a mistake is an error. and there really are honest mistakes/errors . . . but then there's the other kind. so i don't think the word "mistake" by itself covers it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's what bugs me: for years politicians would not own up to wrongdoing of any kind. then, recently, certain politicians began to think that saying "i made a mistake" is taking responsibility. a mistake is an error. and there really are honest mistakes/errors . . . but then there's the other kind. so i don't think the word "mistake" by itself covers it.

right on! Getting in bed with someone is hard to do by mistake, unless your blind or something.

"I purposely made a moral choice to put the pleasure of my penis ahead of the emotional well-being of my wife and family. I regret that they found out about it, and now I have to act contrite for a good long while. Sucks to be me." - John Edwards.

You could argue that no one's every ready to be president

that guy has really plummeted in my book. i wonder if he was nasty all along and i just didn't know it or he has acquired the nastiness due to god knows what.

"I purposely made a moral choice to put the pleasure of my penis ahead of the emotional well-being of my wife and family. I regret that they found out about it, and now I have to act contrite for a good long while. Sucks to be me." - John Edwards.

yah, that's it.

Well, I was apathetic towards politics, and still am, but in the newest Entertainment Weekly Obama says he has Sinatra, Coltrane, Javanese flute music, R&B, and African tribal dance music on his ipod. He gets my vote.

Any thoughts on the Rick Warren forum the guys did?

Lame that McCain, obviously with a favorable crowd, can get away with recycling his stump speech throughout the entire hour while one of the rules, according to Warren, was that stump speech lines were off limits. And then he "wins" in the press because he was more assertive in his answers.

And Obama is taking some seriously unfair heat for his quip that deciding when a "baby" first has rights is above his pay grade. The standard rebuttal to this on the right has been that, as President of US, no question is above your pay grade. Sweet Moses, how stupid is this country? The President is in charge of governing the nation (if even that), not solving centuries old moral debates. The desire in this country, and maybe the world for all I know, to distill things down into black and white solutions makes me more frustrated than I would like to admit.

Final thoughts on the forum: Obama was several times more authentic, but McCain wins just by keeping up and playing to the crowd in the sort of event where people expect him to do miserable. You will notice, though, that he pretty much said absolutely nothing about his faith. And he sure was quick to salute war.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't feel the crowd was biased one way or another. It did seem Obama was quite "center" with some of his responses. Has his stance on marriage always been exclusive to a Man and a Woman? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that his response to the "gay marriage" question?

Maybe I missed it but I didn't feel the crowd was biased one way or another. It did seem Obama was quite "center" with some of his responses. Has his stance on marriage always been exclusive to a Man and a Woman? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that his response to the "gay marriage" question?

I doubt he truly cares either way, but yes, he has always said marriage is man and woman, but civil unions are gold.

Sweet Moses, how stupid is this country?

that's a damn good question.

this forum did nothing to sway anyone. the supporters of each candidate heard what they wanted to hear while letting their bias keep them from objectively analyzing the opponent's responses. the press got their picture of them together on stage, the candidates got their evangelical "photo-op" with rick warren, and the pundits got some new material to chew on for a while.

on a side note...

meanwhile, nancy grace is still all over the "tot mom/caylee" story. she is one disgusting human being (nancy grace, that is). i don't know how someone could continually make a living obsessing over horrible stories such as these and have absolutely nothing to offer but cutting commentary and repeated video in the background of the tot mom's party pics. i think i'm just going to give up my cnn habit altogether until they get this wretch off the air.

that's a damn good question.

this forum did nothing to sway anyone. the supporters of each candidate heard what they wanted to hear while letting their bias keep them from objectively analyzing the opponent's responses. the press got their picture of them together on stage, the candidates got their evangelical "photo-op" with rick warren, and the pundits got some new material to chew on for a while.

Agreed

on a side note...

meanwhile, nancy grace is still all over the "tot mom/caylee" story. she is one disgusting human being (nancy grace, that is). i don't know how someone could continually make a living obsessing over horrible stories such as these and have absolutely nothing to offer but cutting commentary and repeated video in the background of the tot mom's party pics. i think i'm just going to give up my cnn habit altogether until they get this wretch off the air.

The wrongful death lawsuit against her was denied dismissal earlier this month. Hopefully that progresses far enough to scare her a bit. But then again, it may only make her stronger. She's not human.