New new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCain (balla') knows sumpin about $, it's called Cindy.

2ccmmmx.jpg

McCain's said "There's going to be other wars. ... I'm sorry to tell you, there's going to be other wars. We will never surrender but there will be other wars." Who's $ do you think this war president will be spending?

Was that the vacation he took to that weird exotic not American enough vaction place Hawaii?

Also wasn't Phil Graham one of the primary movers (from what I understood his office wrote the legislation) of the legislation that allowed ENON to go nuts? If hhe is and Obama's people don't play up this angle I'll be very dissapointed in them.

Yeah, the Hawaiin folk were real happy about that. btw, is that how you spell Hawaiin? I can't afford exotic vacations.

Phil Graham is more evil than DICK Cheney. He deregulated the energy sector...good work, now we have speculation trading of oil. And stop whining about it, too. Nice touch, Phil.

McCain (balla') knows sumpin about $, it's called Cindy.

2ccmmmx.jpg

McCain's said "There's going to be other wars. ... I'm sorry to tell you, there's going to be other wars. We will never surrender but there will be other wars." Who's $ do you think this war president will be spending?

She looks more Frankenstein than him. Not that looks matter for a Prez (to me). I just want to see him try to mimic Howard Dean's victory dance.

Is it to much to ask for a presidential candidate who would:

- introduce legislation limiting all nationally elected politicians to no more than 2 terms in office or 8 years in office whichever was longer;

- would introduce legislation to amend the constitution so that all national elections were publicly funded and had proper spending limits;

- who would never sign a bill laden with earmarks?

- who would limit severely the influence and number of lobbyists in Washington?

Until you do those sorts of things the body politic is not going to change regardless of who is in power.

Once these objectives were in place, let's focus on practical long-term matters which will be of critical Americans for several generations:

- Introduce a sensible long-term energy policy where every possible solution aimed at lowering our reliance on foreign energy was utilized including development of alternative energies, more nuclear reactors, the import of sugar-based ethanol from overseas and drilling more oil within our borders in considered;

- Introduce a sensible long-term plan for ensuring the solvency of medicare, medicaid and social security;

- Introduce a plan for mandatory health insurance for everyone that is based on individuals purchasing directly as opposed to through work where no-one could be denied because of existing pre-conditions and where subsidies were introduced for the poor and needy;

- Introduce a plan for realistic immigration reform based on respect for the law and respect for those already here illegally;

- Reduce taxes on small-businesses and replace them with taxes on carbon emissions;

- Simply the tax code and end anomolies where billionaire Hedge Fund managers pay the same tax rates as minimum wage workers

- Introduce legislation giving tax incentives for the creation of individual unemployment insurance where individuals could hedge the risk of unexpected layoffs in the future

I'd vote for you. While we're at it, the networks should be required to provide FREE regular airtime for substantive discussion among candidates. They are our airwaves, after all. That'd drain a lot of the money out of campaigning.

Let's all take a minute and say a prayer/send vibes to a great lady - Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs-Jones had a brain aneurysm this morning and is in critical condition in Cleveland. A real fighter, and one of the good ones on the Hill.

Stephanie, I'm rooting for ya. :thumbup

Stephanie Tubbs-Jones has passed on. A sad day folks - she chaired the ethics committee, and the first black woman ever on the Ways & Means. Condolences to the family, and her constituents. I read where fellow Cleveland Congressman Dennis Kucinich was visibly upset at the news - they were among the very few in '02 to openly oppose the Iraq War.

:ohwell

Scott, such sad news. I read about the aneurysm yesterday. I didn't know she had passed away until I read your post. I knew the prognosis was not good. She was one of the good'uns. RIP.

Looks like the Ayers story is going to be revisited:

Group to spend $2.8 million on anti-Obama ad

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer 47 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A conservative nonprofit group with a past link to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign is spending $2.8 million on an ad questioning Democrat Barack Obama's relationship to a founder of the 1960s radical group Weather Underground.

The ad, which is expected to begin airing Thursday in Michigan and Friday in Ohio, focuses on William Ayers, whose Weatherman organization took credit for a series of bombings, including nonfatal explosions at the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol 40 years ago.

American Issues Project, the sponsor of the ad, is a nonprofit 501©4 organization. One of its board members, Ed Failor Jr., was a paid consultant for McCain's campaign in Iowa last year. The campaign paid his firm $50,000 until July 2007. American Issues Project spokesman Christian Pinkston said Failor has no connection to the McCain campaign now.

Ayers is now a university professor. He and Obama live in the same Chicago neighborhood and served together on the board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a charity group. Ayers also held a meet-the-candidate event at his home for Obama when Obama first ran for office in the mid-1990s.

"Barack Obama is friends with Ayers, defending him as, quote, 'Respectable' and 'Mainstream,'" the ad states. "Obama's political career was launched in Ayers' home. And the two served together on a left-wing board. Why would Barack Obama be friends with someone who bombed the Capitol and is proud of it? Do you know enough to elect Barack Obama?"

Obama has distanced himself from the radical activity of the Weather Underground. In an interview with "Fox News Sunday" in April, Obama said he "deplored" Ayers action in the 1960s.

"Mr. Ayers is a 60-plus-year-old individual who lives in my neighborhood, who did something that I deplore 40 years ago when I was 6 or 7 years old," Obama said then. "By the time I met him, he is a professor of education at the University of Illinois. We served on a board together that had Republicans, bankers, lawyers, focused on education."

On Tuesday, the University of Illinois refused to release records relating to Barack Obama's service on the Chicago Annenberg Exchange. The university said the donor of the records that document the charity's work has not yet turned over ownership rights to the material.

The university is "aggressively pursuing" an agreement with the donor, and as soon as one is finalized, the collection will be made accessible to the public, the university said in a statement.

The Obama campaign has said the senator does not have control over these records.

The ad is the first for the American Issues Project. As a nonprofit organization, the group does not have to identify its donors or the amounts they contribute. McCain in the past has criticized independent groups, even those that support him, that air negative campaign ads.

In a statement, Failor, who is executive vice president of Iowans for Tax Relief, said: "When the American public fully understands the close, continuing relationship between their potential president and a remorseless domestic terrorist, we believe it will send a chill down their spines."

Ayers was a fugitive for years with his wife, fellow radical Bernadine Dohrn. But after surrendering in 1980, the charges against Ayers were dropped because of prosecutorial misconduct.

I can't wait for this entire election to be over. I am fucking sick of seeing John McCain.

Has anyone else noticed that Barak is getting very gray lately??

LouieB

I'm sick of seeing Obama AND McCain. I want a "do-over".

The only positive is Dubya will be gone, but the next day we'll be getting one of these two a-holes.

What a craptastic country we're living in.

Barack is enhancing the gray to appear more distinguished...chicks dig it.

Looks like the Ayers story is going to be revisited:

Shit man, I'd vote FOR Obama because he's friends with Bill Ayers. I wonder what those sunsabitches would think about that!

What a craptastic country we're living in.

:no

Shit man, I'd vote FOR Obama because he's friends with Bill Ayers. I wonder what those sunsabitches would think about that!

:yawn I don't think they would give a damn about what you think.

Tania would dig it.

Phearstmug.jpg