New new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say benefits are neither a right nor a reward; they are part of an agreed-upon compensation package.

True, but that doesn't mean some people don't consider it a right. I'm coming from a more semi-skilled factory worker angle, so maybe that explains my point of view. When you get into more professional settings, yes it is more of a formal package discussed ahead of time.

from DRUDGE:

FLASH: Fri Aug 22 2008 17:52:03 ET /// KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reports a company in Kansas City, which specializes in political literature, has been printing Obama-Bayh material... MORE... Gill Studios, would not confirm information about the material. They would not deny it either. At least three sources close to the plant's operations reported the Obama-Bayh material was being produced...

obys.jpg

I guess this is your match made in heaven. :rolleyes

Gill Studios is located near where I live.

If that's the pick, then I have serious reservations about it. But I suppose we can save all that talk for tomorrow...

I believe that adequate healthcare is a human right, though I understand that there's a lot of room for debate regarding who should provide it.

That's it - hopefully, this gets figured out some day.

I've decided I don't care who wins the election. I just hope the President and Congress are from different parties. That way, nothing gets done, and progress can occur.

I believe that adequate healthcare is a human right, though I understand that there's a lot of room for debate regarding who should provide it.

How about the patients?

It looks like it will be Biden. I always thought that he would be a great choice for Obama. I felt this way long before the primaries had been decided and Obama had clinched the nomination. I think they compliment each other in many ways.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...cret-servi.html

Well hell yes! If this is true, and I hope it is, Louie B owes me a drink. I said this back in June and the hell they said..

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...p;#entry1150413

It's Biden.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/23/bid...date/index.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080823/ap_on_el_pr/veepstakes

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/us/polit...24biden.html?hp

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26010055/

So much for the text message. If there is a big story to to found out, than the media will find it, and they will find it out before anyone else does.

I couldn't be happier with this pick. Like I said the other day, I'm well aware of the potential liabilities with Senator Joe, but I've been a fan of his for 20 years. In fact, I was planning on voting for him in the primaries until he dropped out before I had the chance. Hate all you want, but this is the ticket for me.

i think biden is obama's best chance and that what he brings to the ticket will outweigh the liabilities. every other matchup seemed either to highlight obama's short experience in washington or to make obama look like the more experienced on the ticket -- neither a winning scenario. good choice.

It's Biden.

So much for the text message. If there is a big story to to found out, than the media will find it, and they will find it out before anyone else does.

Anyone else sign up for the text message? I did and I got a message a 2:40 in the f'ing morning. That was annoying. I understand the need to get that out there but hard working middle class families need to sleep in the middle of the night.

Guess I gotta support Bob Barr, now.

I couldn't be happier with this pick. Like I said the other day, I'm well aware of the potential liabilities with Senator Joe, but I've been a fan of his for 20 years. In fact, I was planning on voting for him in the primaries until he dropped out before I had the chance. Hate all you want, but this is the ticket for me.
I like Biden too. Reminds me of myself - talks too long and apt to say something stupid. Nearly over the hill but not quite.

I have friends who are going to be in Springfield today (hell I have friends who LIVE in Springfield) so it should be an exciting day down there.

LouieB

So basically no or poor medical care for poor people. Got it.

No, but maybe if they took better care of themselves, their healthcare wouldn't be so expensive. Since I've been on my surgery rotation, I've seen lung cancer patients have their surgeries canceled because they were smoking on the day of their surgery.

Sure, people should take better care of themselves, but once they haven't, then what? Should people who are sick because of their own lifestyle choices be deprived of healthcare if they can't afford it? And what about those whose illnesses are not due to their own choices?

i think biden is obama's best chance and that what he brings to the ticket will outweigh the liabilities. every other matchup seemed either to highlight obama's short experience in washington or to make obama look like the more experienced on the ticket -- neither a winning scenario. good choice.

I find it hilarious that the Candidate preaching change is chosing the ultimate Washington insider to be his running mate. And you thing McCain is a hothead...Biden is a real handler flyer.

Sure, people should take better care of themselves, but once they haven't, then what? Should people who are sick because of their own lifestyle choices be deprived of healthcare if they can't afford it? And what about those whose illnesses are not due to their own choices?

But we're not talking about people who are just sick because of their past choices. These people are continuing to make these choices even while they're being treated. If they aren't going to comply with the treatment, why should they be treated for free? Do they not have some obligation to those that are paying for their treatment? The top three killers in the U.S. are heart disease, cancer (of which, lung cancer is the biggest killer), and stroke. All of these have modifiable risk factors. It seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper to not smoke cigarettes than it is to remove part of someone's lung (which only cures them in the minority of cases).

so, with your argument Ikol, if someone has a fat insurance policy, but continues to smoke(or whatever) it's okay for them to drain insurance companies of their money because they paid into it?

I mean, of course, it's ridiculous when people continue to smoke, drink, etc when those things threaten their health, treatment, etc.......but it sounds like you're only angry with poor/uninsured people who do it.

Even with insurance, someone else essentially is footing the majority of the bill with those huge procedures - i.e. all of those people who pay in, and don't get sick......So, do insured people owe it to the other insured people to take better care of themselves?

I'd just like a clarification of your argument.

:)

from DRUDGE:

FLASH: Fri Aug 22 2008 17:52:03 ET /// KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reports a company in Kansas City, which specializes in political literature, has been printing Obama-Bayh material... MORE... Gill Studios, would not confirm information about the material. They would not deny it either. At least three sources close to the plant's operations reported the Obama-Bayh material was being produced...

obys.jpg

Gill Studios is located near where I live.

Mahoney has a story once a year and is usually looking drunk while reporting it...looks like he flubbed on this one too. I forgot he still 'worked' around here.

But we're not talking about people who are just sick because of their past choices. These people are continuing to make these choices even while they're being treated. If they aren't going to comply with the treatment, why should they be treated for free? Do they not have some obligation to those that are paying for their treatment? The top three killers in the U.S. are heart disease, cancer (of which, lung cancer is the biggest killer), and stroke. All of these have modifiable risk factors. It seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper to not smoke cigarettes than it is to remove part of someone's lung (which only cures them in the minority of cases).

Just to clarify, is it your view that if someone is sick due to their own lifestyle choices, whether in the past or right up to today, that if they are too poor to pay for treatment, they should be left to die?