New new election thread

I disagree with those who say all Obama supporters are sheep, or that Obama is an empty suit devoid of Ideas. Every political candidate has some lemmings who will follow them anywhere under any circumstances. How large a percentage of their followers that is depends on the candidate. Obama is no different. Some of his followers are the wide eyed worshipers, some are those who are going to vote Dem regardless of whether it is Obama or someone else. Ditto for McCain, though I would venture to say that McCain probably has more voters who will vote R under any circumstances than he has voters who will follow him regardless of what he does. I tend to think that Obama's followers are very supportive of him because he offers a clear change of direction from the last eight years. It is painfully obvious that the public is tired of the way the country has been run and wants a change.

Beyond that this is part of the whole marketing campaign designed to cast doubts on Obama, empty suit, no ideas, empty headed followers etc

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this have to do with using "the force" or some shit like that?

No, I think the quoted is pretty close to the essence of the whole Buddhist approach to existence and its vicissitudes.

Very well said. I've got my spot on the couch reserved for the debates. The so called empty suit will smash the crinkled dude. It's hard to tame temper tantrums on live TV. Sheep exist in all corners of the world under all kinds of blankets. Religion is full of sheep. Malls are full full of sheep. Colleges are full of sheep...and so on. I think we are all sheep to something at one point or another.

Well, just because Obama is an eloquent speaker, that doesn't make any of the criticisms of him less true. Just saying.

Well, just because Obama is a hottie I'd like to hit, that doesn't make any of the criticisms of him less true. Just saying.

True dat!

I am getting really excited to see Obama and McCain debate live. I just hope McCain doesn't win because it's too hard typing a little c then a big C. This is the strangest election year as far as bumper stickers go though, and I'm a little worried. I hardly see them for anyone but Tibet. I still see Bush, but no McCain. I see a few Obama's, but I live in a small town and pass the same cars a lot. Am I safe in saying people are actually thinking this election over, or just too cheap to buy bumper stickers?

Yeah, I was gonna say, Gore didn't exactly set the world on fire in the 2000 debates.

2004 was a different story though. Kerry was the better debator in all of them, but especially the first, which was definately Kerry's peak in the campaign coinciding exactly with Bush's worst performance. The contrast between them at that first debate was unbelievable. But the next couple debates were closer, and lots of other things happened in between. I think the debates probably do sway a few people, but I don't think they make nearly as big an impact as several other components of the campaign.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Gore didn't exactly set the world on fire in the 2000 debates.

In 2000 Gore Blew Bush out of the water when it came to answering the questions and providing thought out coherent answers. Gore's debate error was when Bush would give a non-sensical answer Gore would look flabberghasted, roll his eyes, sigh loudly etc... In other words Gore was doing something constantly while Bush was answering and it cost him with the voters.

In 2000 Gore Blew Bush out of the water when it came to answering the questions and providing thought out coherent answers. Gore's debate error was when Bush would give a non-sensical answer Gore would look flabberghasted, roll his eyes, sigh loudly etc... In other words Gore was doing something constantly while Bush was answering and it cost him with the voters.

In other words, he "didn't set the world on fire".

In other words, he "didn't set the world on fire".

That's not what I said, but if that's what you read, then go for it. But fact is Gore destroyed bush in the debates and exposed him for what he truely is but blew it with his behavior.

A lot of people don't trust smart people.

I disagree with those who say all Obama supporters are sheep, or that Obama is an empty suit devoid of Ideas. Every political candidate has some lemmings who will follow them anywhere under any circumstances. How large a percentage of their followers that is depends on the candidate. Obama is no different. Some of his followers are the wide eyed worshipers, some are those who are going to vote Dem regardless of whether it is Obama or someone else. Ditto for McCain, though I would venture to say that McCain probably has more voters who will vote R under any circumstances than he has voters who will follow him regardless of what he does. I tend to think that Obama