NFL Thread (2008 edition)

I'm a Vikings fan. I must say that I'm loving watching the Brett Favre soap opera. The only way this could end badly is if he ends up a Viking. No doubt he's one of the greatest QBs to play the game, but I just could never root for the man who has caused so much personal anguish for me. How do you think Aaron Rodgers feels about this?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved and respected Brett Favre. But now...I'm not so sure.

He had a great opportunity to go out with class. He sure fucked that one up.

Also, Favre can't touch Marino's jockstrap, and at least Marino didn't make an ass out of himself.

eh...I don't know about that. Favre has a SuperBowl ring...and he wasn't in Ace Ventura...

...and he wasn't in Ace Ventura...

But he did play a janitor in Reggie's Prayer (and we can't forget about his turn in There's Something About Mary).

Guest Jules

Yeah, he's being a douche, cried in the press conference, now is coming back, screwing Aaron Rodgers, etc. etc. But, he was still one of the best QBs in the league last year and likely still can be. The Packers are stupid if they don't bring him back as the starter. Especially if they risk having him sign with a conference rival. I understand they want to move on, etc., but you can't tell me they actually believe Rodgers gives them the better chance to win.

As a Bears fan, I want him to go away, but to me the Packers are handling this poorly.

Yeah, he's being a douche, cried in the press conference, now is coming back, screwing Aaron Rodgers, etc. etc. But, he was still one of the best QBs in the league last year and likely still can be. The Packers are stupid if they don't bring him back as the starter. Especially if they risk having him sign with a conference rival. I understand they want to move on, etc., but you can't tell me they actually believe Rodgers gives them the better chance to win.

As a Bears fan, I want him to go away, but to me the Packers are handling this poorly.

What would you think of him in a Bears uniform?

Guest Jules
What would you think of him in a Bears uniform?

:lol I have to draw the line somewhere.

Honestly, he's better than anything we have, but I don't think this is something I could stomach. Thankfully, I think the Vikings are more likely (even though that would make them a pretty damn good team), but Favre never played very well in Minnesota and the turf is probably a bad idea. I'm hearing Tampa maybe, but it all depends on how Green Bay handles it. If they don't want him to start for them, they should just give him his wish and release him.

My take on it is that the Packers absolutely have to handle this the way they're currently doing it.

If they let Favre come back as the starter, they can kiss Rodgers goodbye. Why would anyone put up with such treatment?

If they release him, and he goes somewhere else and puts up decent numbers, they'll get crucified.

Their best option is to call his bluff, which is what they've done.

He had his news conference, he said he was retired, and the team moved on -- drafting two quarterbacks. That door is not just closed, it's welded shut. He can't expect it to just magically re-open because he changed his mind (again).

Guest Jules
If they let Favre come back as the starter, they can kiss Rodgers goodbye. Why would anyone put up with such treatment?

I think Rodgers has played in 3 games, and got hurt in 2 of them. No big loss if it comes to that.

Their best option is to call his bluff, which is what they've done.

But he's not bluffing.

He had his news conference, he said he was retired, and the team moved on -- drafting two quarterbacks. That door is not just closed, it's welded shut. He can't expect it to just magically re-open because he changed his mind (again).

Only if they want to win this year. Bottom line, they are a better team this year with Favre at QB.

An option that could be likely is that Green Bay trades him off to a AFC team like Tampa Bay that would pose the least competitive threat. I dont see Farve sitting on the bench and GB has to look to the future with promises made. If Farve really wants to play, he wont have his pick of team.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I'm a Vikings fan. I must say that I'm loving watching the Brett Favre soap opera. The only way this could end badly is if he ends up a Viking. No doubt he's one of the greatest QBs to play the game, but I just could never root for the man who has caused so much personal anguish for me. How do you think Aaron Rodgers feels about this?

I'm a Packers fan and I honestly can't get too worked up about it all. It's sort of ridiculous how Favre is playing the media, making him seem very shallow after all the media (Peter King, Madden, et. al.) fawning over him all those years. He is one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play, but he was the worst one of the final 4 in the playoffs last year, and he's fallen apart in the cold each of the last two years -- and was off for the most part all of the prior three years.

It's worse to watch how badly the media is covering the event, falling over themselves trying to make a story of it. It's not even coverage, it's Favre planting comments, the Packers playing damage control and the media showing new lows in trying to be a part of the story rather than reporting anything other than rumors, innuendo and anything lacking substance.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me.

1. He has to ask to be reinstated.

2. Packers hold his rights.

3. If Ted Thompson releases him, he should be fired.

4. He'll either earn the Packers' starting job or he'll be traded.

5. If he continues to try to play the media against Thompson, the public and media will get weary of it and he'll still end up going wherever Thompson chooses to send him. He can raise a stink but Thompson holds all the cards, and should trade him. If Favre fights it, I don't thing he has a lot of alternatives -- ala Jake Plummer.

The best thing for Favre would be to go to a warm-weather team. I think going to Tampa would derail Chucky because he won't be able to have coaching control over Favre.

The best thing for the Packers would be to send him to Miami for Jason Taylor. Straight up trade of two guys with maybe a year or two left.

I appreciate all that he's done for the team. I hope he finds a team that he can continue his career with. That could even be the Packers if he shuts up and shows it's not just about him -- even if it's just to work with Green Bay in trying to find a new team that will make both sides happy.

If it comes down to the Packers in the playoffs in a cold weather game, I'd rather Favre was on the other teams than on Green Bay's.

I think, after the whole "I'm coming back.....wait....I'm not anymore" thing a month after he retired, the Packers are doing what they have to do. How do they know this time will be any different? And really, how long can they put up with his shit? I love him as a Packers fan, but how many years does the team have to wait around for Brett and his spectacle to settle themselves before they can just play football?

I called this thhe day of his press conference way back when. Apparently so did he almost as it appears that three weeks after his tearful anounncement he was asking the Pack about coming back. I'll believe he is really retired when he makes an announcement in July rather than at the end of a hard season after his worst game in recent memory.

Gee, you would have thought Dallas won the Super Bowl last year or something. ZZZZZZZZZZ.

Source: Saints acquire Shockey for draft picks

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

The Saints had been trying since February to acquire the disgruntled New York Giants tight end. First, they offered a second-round pick. Before the draft, they increased the offer to a second- and a fifth-round draft choice, but the Giants felt he was too valuable to lose until a few days before the start of their training camp.

As Payton and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis did their last few minutes of office work before heading to Jackson, Miss., for Wednesday's start of training camp, they received a call from the Giants saying that Shockey was theirs.

Even through the weekend, the Saints tried to broker a deal for Shockey. On Sunday, they tried to get in the middle of the Jason Taylor trade to see if there was a way they could make a three-way deal that brought them Shockey, according to multiple sources. Taylor went to the Washington Redskins for a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Shockey, 28, a four-time Pro Bowler, has 371 catches for 4,228 yards and 27 touchdowns during his six-year NFL career. He grew disgruntled with the Giants because he wanted to be more involved with some downfield passing. The Giants valued his run blocking.

Payton was an offensive coordinator with the Giants during Shockey's rookie season. He caught 74 passes for 894 yards that season.