For Sale Next: Baseball and Apple Pie

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold my sperm to the Chinese. Is it wrong?

Is that where Yao Ming came from?

As for this whole Budweiser thing, I'm not too concerned. Sad, to be sure, but there will still be Budweiser (which is also sad in a different way). Shit like this happens in a global economy when somebody can throw down one of their dollars and get two of ours. Plus, it's not like Bud was a great company. Buying Rolling Rock and shutting down that town the way they did. Why should I care about them all of the sudden?

I'll reiterate what I said earlier--all snarkiness aside, I'm far more concerned about what this means for their theme park division than what it means for their beers. The Busch Gardens and Sea World parks are a strange pursuit for a beverage company, but AB put a lot of effort into them and ran them surprisingly well. Unless InBev shares a similar quirky passion for such pursuits, I imagine these are either going to go seriously downhill or get sold to Six Flags or something.(which is the same thing) That makes me sadder than worrying about who owns Budweiser.

Plus, it's not like Bud was a great company. Buying Rolling Rock and shutting down that town the way they did. Why should I care about them all of the sudden?

Yep, the Rolling Rock buy-out sucked. But it's not the A-B corporation that I care about. It's what this buy-out is going to do to the local economy. My husband's worked for two companies that were locally-owned but purchased by larger corporations while he worked for them. In both cases he watched co-workers lose their jobs and benefits get slashed on every level. Just like what happened in Latrobe.

Hopefully the factory in Columbus stays...would be sad if it left.

I think I read that they are planning on keeping all the current breweries operating. Of course, that could change, but I don't see why. A-B has a large North American manufacture/shipping infrastructure--it seems reasonable to believe they'll keep the current system in place...although they will undoubtedly do some tweaking, so who knows?

The Budweiser and Bud Light "towers" at the Columbus plant are landmarks to my kids. (don't know if that is sad or not) They love to point them out when we drive past them on the highway.

Guest Jules
I think I read that they are planning on keeping all the current breweries operating. Of course, that could change, but I don't see why. A-B has a large North American manufacture/shipping infrastructure--it seems reasonable to believe they'll keep the current system in place...although they will undoubtedly do some tweaking, so who knows?

The Budweiser and Bud Light "towers" at the Columbus plant are landmarks to my kids. (don't know if that is sad or not) They love to point them out when we drive past them on the highway.

They will likely keep everything open, but layoffs/cutbacks are a given. A-B, like many other American companies, is full of waste. You can't really blame the new owners if they come in and tweak operations to run leaner.

They will likely keep everything open, but layoffs/cutbacks are a given. A-B, like many other American companies, is full of waste. You can't really blame the new owners if they come in and tweak operations to run leaner.

Exactly. I have weird luck in that every company I have ever worked for--large or small--has been bought during the time I was employed there. In every case there has been at least some layoffs and restructuring--just the degree varies depending on the case, ranging from negligible effects to outright closure. Time will tell.

As for InBev's motives, it sounds like Becks and Stella Artois are their biggest sellers and those are fairly common in America, but I wouldn't be surprised if the A-B purchase had more to do with wanting larger-scale North American distribution for their existing beers rather than the fact that they really, really like Natty Light.

Guest Jules
As for InBev's motives, it sounds like Becks and Stella are their biggest sellers and those are fairly common in America, but I wouldn't be surprised if the A-B purchase had more to do with wanting larger-scale North American distribution for their existing beers rather than the fact that they really, really like Natty Light.

yep

Serves 'em right for what did they did to Rolling Rock.

Coors is foreign owned too. If you count the Canadians.

Canadiens? Maybe that's only Hockey.

Yeah, you gotta count the Canadians.

When you think about it, foreign interests have got the market on "domestic" crummy beer cornered.

Kinda torn here...

My econobeer of choice is Genesee Cream Ale. Made in Rochester or Utica.

I wish they still made Ballentine Ale.

They do - it's $1.99 a 40 here in Kingston.

anyone remember Black Label? now that was a poor man's beer.

I believe that was a Canadian beer, commie.

They do - it's $1.99 a 40 here in Kingston.

Wow. That's good to know. Must be a regional deal.