62 members have voted

1. 1. What is your name?

• Jen (or something close to it)
    • Kevin
    • Chris (or something close to it)
    • other

we shouldn't name babies until they become people and give us a reason for their name. Like how I didn't name my last stray until he showed me what I should name him. His name is Good Dog. I also have a cat named Woodpile cause I found him in a woodpile. I also have a cat named snots-a-lot cause he snots a lot.

So your kids are named Shit Diaper and Thumb Blower?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we shouldn't name babies until they become people and give us a reason for their name. Like how I didn't name my last stray until he showed me what I should name him. His name is Good Dog. I also have a cat named Woodpile cause I found him in a woodpile. I also have a cat named snots-a-lot cause he snots a lot.

There's a sort of brilliant, twisted sort of logic in this proposal.

Though, if we were to do this, well, there would be a whole lot of folks named asshole and whore walking around out there.

There's a sort of brilliant, twisted sort of logic in this proposal.

Though, if we were to do this, well, there would be a whole lot of folks named asshole and whore walking around out there.

Best post, ever. But hey, no pretense there. You get what you get. - Chief Sometimesanasshole

Children should not have names until they are properly taught the breadth and variety of possible names and social stigmas. Once they have been disabused of their notions of family history of ethnic identities then, and only then, should they be able to finally have a name -- the one they choose after having been fully informed of the consequences of their actions.

:hmm And here I was, picturing a world full of people named things like "Always Mr. Cheerful", "Smartest Girl in School", "Bakes Great Cupcakes"...

I never "got" people naming their kid(s) prior to the birth. No offense to sissooie or anyone else who has done this, but I always like to see what the thing looks like first and then tag it with one of a few names we've narrowed it down to.

Friends of ours had their fourth kid last month and waited 2 weeks to name her.

I never "got" people naming their kid(s) prior to the birth. No offense to sissooie or anyone else who has done this, but I always like to see what the thing looks like first and then tag it with one of a few names we've narrowed it down to.

Friends of ours had their fourth kid last month and waited 2 weeks to name her.

In all seriousness, my friend Pete's birth certificate says this for his first name: Paul Peter

My real name is Speedoo but they often call me Mister Earl.

I like the name Earl. I wanted it for either a middle or first name for either of my last two boys but it was vetoed vehemently both times. It was always female friends that would agree with the ex-, too. The guy friends (in general) didn't mind the name.

Jennifer Khephan Krysteen.

But at work, they call me "Nancy".

:lol

You have any number of names to choose from, Nancy and Maudie being the most incongruous.

I like the name Earl. I wanted it for either a middle or first name for either of my last two boys but it was vetoed vehemently both times. It was always female friends that would agree with the ex-, too. The guy friends (in general) didn't mind the name.

I don't mind Earl. It tangles on the tongue pleasantly enough. I had a college friend whose last name was Earl, and that's what we called her.

God forbid I ever have another kid, but if I do, and it's a boy, that s.o.b.'s name is gonna be T. Boone Pickens Leavell. Swear to God.

The first time I met my cousin Tom in England, he told me that he'd wanted to name his daughter Maudie, but his partner kept insisting that it's an old-lady name. He argued that it's a family name, she'd be named after his cousin in America. They ended up naming her Nancy, and until the minute he told me that story, he'd never had any idea that Nancy is my real name. It was just a neat coincidence. :D

:lol

You have any number of names to choose from, Nancy and Maudie being the most incongruous.

I don't mind Earl. It tangles on the tongue pleasantly enough.

Which is exactly why I like it. It's fun to say.