• other

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dub thee "dangerously forgetful whore" :lol

Funny, I do have a poor memory...

but what if your husband is the one that knocks you up when your drunk off your butt.axz5o4.gif Then are you a whore?I thought to be a whore you had to do it with more than one person.Does the use multiple objects score you whore points?ff0nm9.gif

wbovgo.jpg

I never "got" people naming their kid(s) prior to the birth. No offense to sissooie or anyone else who has done this, but I always like to see what the thing looks like first and then tag it with one of a few names we've narrowed it down to.

Friends of ours had their fourth kid last month and waited 2 weeks to name her.

Hell, my brother and sister-in-law just had their 2nd daughter this morning and they still haven't named her. I've heard of it going a couple of days. Props to those that are better prepared. Me? I think you go in with a couple of options and see what the kid looks like. Worked for us.

One of my sisters works with me. When she says it, I can hear the quotes.

:lol i was born a nancy and have never heard it with the quotes. haven't checked a list lately, but it's been about as long as my whole life that i've never seen a baby newly named nancy. my friends and family have picked names like emily, rachel, sophie, noelle, marcia, betsy, venice, on and on and on. also, other than nancy drew, has any character in a book ever been named nancy? it's a limbo name: not old-fashioned enough to become fashionable again, and not clever or different enough to be a contemporary pick.

i've become semi-fond of the name anyway because the other one my parents seriously considered was truly awful. (i hope there's no lucinda here, and if there is, my apologies -- in both meanings of the offering.)

:lol i was born a nancy and have never heard it with the quotes. haven't checked a list lately, but it's been about as long as my whole life that i've never seen a baby newly named nancy. my friends and family have picked names like emily, rachel, sophie, noelle, marcia, betsy, venice, on and on and on. also, other than nancy drew, has any character in a book ever been named nancy? it's a limbo name: not old-fashioned enough to become fashionable again, and not clever or different enough to be a contemporary pick.

I once heard Noah what's-his-name, the one who used to (maybe still does?) play the cute doctor on ER, on a talk show, talking about his name. He likes it, because even though there aren't a ton of Noahs in the world, everyone knows how to spell it. That's kind of how I feel about Nancy. When I'm spelling my work e-mail address, people will say "so that's N, as in Nancy...", and I say "it's actually n-a-n-c-y, as in Nancy".

I never "got" people naming their kid(s) prior to the birth. No offense to sissooie or anyone else who has done this, but I always like to see what the thing looks like first and then tag it with one of a few names we've narrowed it down to.
I've only got just the one kid but I feel like I got to know her pretty well before she officially arrived in the world. There's all that talking to the belly, reading and singing to it, petting it, seeing little body parts ripple around the surface and stuff that goes on. I'm pretty sure my Grandmother waited until my dad was well out of the womb to name him though. She named him "Tubby" because he had a tubby belly. He still has the belly, but he goes by "Lee" now. :lol
I once heard Noah what's-his-name, the one who used to (maybe still does?) play the cute doctor on ER, on a talk show, talking about his name. He likes it, because even though there aren't a ton of Noahs in the world, everyone knows how to spell it. That's kind of how I feel about Nancy. When I'm spelling my work e-mail address, people will say "so that's N, as in Nancy...", and I say "it's actually n-a-n-c-y, as in Nancy".

yah, and fairly often i end up spelling my name on the phone and saying "N as in Nancy" twice, once for each N. i'm surprised but heartened to hear that most people know how to spell the name Noah (and just this second realized why!). i used to live on a Cowperthwaite Street. man, was that a pain. my neighbor in the flat below me (an old guy) grew up on that street. he said that when he was a kid someone's horse dropped dead on Cowperthwaite Street, the owner pulled the horse's body with the help of several other guys around the corner onto Banks Street, and the red tape process went smoothly.

he probably made that up, but if anyone knows, please don't tell me.

Nancy is the sympathetic lover of Bill Sikes in the novel Oliver Twist.

that i never would have guessed. i read the wrong dickens!

'Nancy' was the 363rd most popular girls baby name in 2007, down from #7 in the 1940s.

thank you. that's about as pathetic a showing as i'd have imagined. i wonder how many names were on the list. 363?

if it was number 7 in the 1940s, i wonder why i have no friends or aunts named nancy. maybe they all live in caves, like i do.

in the 1960s paul mccartney sang the line "but everyone knew her as nancy" in a beatles song; i forget which one but think it was on the white album.

edit: it was "rocky raccoon."

... he said that when he was a kid someone's horse dropped dead on Cowperthwaite Street, the owner pulled the horse's body with the help of several other guys around the corner onto Banks Street, and the red tape process went smoothly.

he probably made that up, but if anyone knows, please don't tell me.

spectacular!