After reading the debate about best of 2008 and continuing to read about For Emma, I need to be told if I should just pick this record up. I've only heard "Skinny Love" and although it grows on me everytime, it by no means blows me away. I have also been struggling with the lonely singer songwriter types this year. So tell me what I need to know?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Skinny Love doesn't do much for ya, prolly should just steer clear of the record... that was by far my favorite song of 2007, hands down

but who knows, the album has a good amount of styles/sounds, so might dig on other stuff more i guess.

if Skinny Love doesn't do much for ya, prolly should just steer clear of the record... that was by far my favorite song of 2007, hands down

but who knows, the album has a good amount of styles/sounds, so might dig on other stuff more i guess.

i don't know if the person wouldn't like Bon Iver just because they don't like Skinny Love that much...i think Blindsided through Stacks is the most solid part of the album. Just get the album...it's a grower...take it places with you and it'll grow. It's a summery album (in my experience) as much as a winter album.

Not a huge fan of Skinny Love. Not sure how it got anointed as the go to track from the album. Especially given that the title track is maybe the best song of the year. Flume and Lump Sum are also much, much better songs. The album is great and not getting into it will only deprive you. The whole thing is a grower.

It's worth it. It is a ghostly album. It is a soulful album. It is a real album. Few things I have heard have touched me and felt as true as this album has. Put your headphones on and give it a listen in a dark room.

It's worth it. It is a ghostly album. It is a soulful album. It is a real album. Few things I have heard have touched me and felt as true as this album has. Put your headphones on and give it a listen in a dark room.

proceed with caution. i'm not a fan.

as long as you're not prone to road rage, i say go for it.

Nah, I am a melllow guy...unless someone cuts me off or drives like a dick....

i don't think it's a car album at all.
Okay then I guess I won't listen to it in the car...

LouieB

the first two or three times i listened to it on my ipod after downloading, i thought it was "okay" and only one or two of the songs stood out. then, the fourth time i listened to it, they all stood out and different parts kept surfacing in my head and i fell in love. finally, i just ordered the damn thing from amazon.com with some other books/CDs so i can have a proper copy.

btw, that's usually what i do, download shitloads of music, keep giving it chances and if i like it enough i'll eventually buy it.

-justin

Meh

funny, that's what i think of every time i see one of your posts :thumbup

Not a huge fan of Skinny Love. Not sure how it got anointed as the go to track from the album. Especially given that the title track is maybe the best song of the year. Flume and Lump Sum are also much, much better songs. The album is great and not getting into it will only deprive you. The whole thing is a grower.

to each his/her own i guess, but whenever i gave the album to someone last fall, that was always the first track that people picked up on *shrug* ;)

that chorus is just so infectious. it also gets the loudest cheers of any song on the album live.

funny, that's what i think of every time i see one of your posts :thumbup

to each his/her own i guess, but whenever i gave the album to someone last fall, that was always the first track that people picked up on *shrug* ;)

that chorus is just so infectious. it also gets the loudest cheers of any song on the album live.

Oh, it's a great song. Just not my favorite on the album at all, and I don't want people to give up on the album based on their impressions of that song, because it has a lot more to offer. A friend of mine wasn't into Skinny Love but I made him a fan when I played For Emma for him.

Oh, it's a great song. Just not my favorite on the album at all, and I don't want people to give up on the album based on their impressions of that song, because it has a lot more to offer. A friend of mine wasn't into Skinny Love but I made him a fan when I played For Emma for him.

fair enough... :)

i do agree it has a lot more to offer, it's just i couldn't really imagine loving the entire album and finding Skinny Love not all that great myself.