Random Observation: I'm struck by how this entire album has the feel of Neil Young's vastly underated song "Will To Love." The story behind "Will To Love" is that Neil was messed up on a bunch of stuff and recorded it alone in his cabin, with a roaring fire (you can hear the wood popping in the stove) on a 4-track tape recorder. He rushed into the studio and was told it was too lo-fi to do anything with, but he fed the 4-track into whatever and overdubbed a bunch of randomness (xylophone, etc.), giving the track an underwater feel, since it is essentially an 8-minute long piece comparing love to trout swimming upstream (so here you have the Walden-esque natural imagery). He once said that he thought it was the best song he ever recorded, though I doubt he feels that way now, I'm almost inclined to agree with him.

-justin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never got into this until now. Just didn't listen to it much, was a little too slow for me, but now I'm loving it. VC still generating quality recommendations!

Re: Stacks and Flume are really nice songs. The rest is standard guy-with-guitar stuff, press and blogs be damned. This is like Damien Rice all over again, only on a much more microscopic scale and with much more intense critical praise.

Re: Stacks and Flume are really nice songs. The rest is standard guy-with-guitar stuff, press and blogs be damned. This is like Damien Rice all over again, only on a much more microscopic scale and with much more intense critical praise.

as much as i like damien rice, i don't find Bon Iver's stuff to be half as depressing. Also, i really haven't heard other "guy-with-guitar" stuff that sounds like Creature Fear, Lump Sum, or Blindsided. but then again, that's just me.

It's not a great album, it's not a bad album. It took about 3 listens to grow on me but I haven't gone back to it in a month or two. If the stage had been running smoothly at Pitchfork and I didn't think Bon Iver was just fucking around for 20 minutes before they started playing, I would have stayed to watch. But the girl and I wanted to see Spoon (and be close ... can you blame us?) so we didn't even get to see Bon Iver play one song. 'Twas quite disappointing considering they were one of the bands I really wanted to see. Oh well. Not my fault.

pretty sad you can't handle somebody having different opinions than you

no

it's not the fact that you have differing opinions than me, plenty of folks on here do and i have no issues with them.

it's the fact that you're quite often condescending about it (see other threads if you don't believe me/us).

guess who's on the September cover of Paste?

get out... *shoves you*

:o

how insane that his parents were ecstatic when he just MADE the issue back in like Jan or Feb (the one w/ the MJ white glove on the cover), wow... kinda blowing my mind more and more (and i'm sure his too).

good for Justin though! crazy that in under a year he went from playing 3rd on a bill at the Uptown Bar last October to around 80-100 people, to selling out First Ave this Friday.

new song "Blood Bank" is quite awesome:

wow, damn good audio. i can understand the words! makes me love the song even more. i like how they're starting to make some "band" music along with the more solitary stuff.

oh, by the way, anyone know what song this is he plays after For Emma in this video?

wow, damn good audio. i can understand the words! makes me love the song even more. i like how they're starting to make some "band" music along with the more solitary stuff.

oh, by the way, anyone know what song this is he plays after For Emma in this video?

i don't, sounds gorgeous though.

here's another nice little poppier/upbeat new song i filmed they debuted when i saw them at St. Olaf back in May (HORRIBLE crowd):

also, his cover of Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand"

and his cover of John Prine's "Sabu Visits The Twin Cities"