1. 1. Pick one

• Genius
    • Batshit Crazy
    • Other

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seconded on The Straight Story. u2, you gotta see that one. Sure it's G rated, but it's also 100% Lynch. One of the best movies of the year (and since we're talking about 1999, that's high praise).

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Heartbreak. Just reread it all and am reminded how much I am a fan. Love all the movies (never seen Dune though and don't plan to).

The Straight Story is soooo good. there is at least one really odd moment that is totally him.

The Elephant Man was actually the first movie I ever saw- I was around 1. I don't remember that but it is no surprise to me that i am an oddball after all these years after that. I do love that movie, though.

Eraserhead I can't stand- it just creeps me out way too much. I don't like when Eraserhead and the mom lady kiss. EEEEEEEEEEEK!

why isn't "batshit crazy genius" an option?

Seriously! Don't geniuses have to be batshit crazy by definition? There should be a poll option for "Both."

I first got into David Lynch while living on the East Coast, but it was when I moved to LA that I had a David Lynch epiphany. There is something Edward Hopper about his movies, and I've read or heard that he used to sit in Bob's Big Boy and watch people in the middle of the night for story ideas -- which totally makes sense, somehow.

Then there is that brilliant article by David Foster Wallace about Lynch: http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/papers/wallace.html

And my favorite Julee Cruise song from the Twin Peaks soundtrack (for which he wrote the lyrics):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxGtQQhV4xM

I loved Elephant Man when it came out (I was like ten years old). I also love Straight Story, but Blue Velvet is the masterpiece!

• 3 months later...

I watched Eraserhead yesterday for the second time; the first time was in 1983 or so. What a strange, twisted piece of work...interesting how you find echoes of it in his later films.

I had no idea Lynch was so heavily into transcendental meditation. This video on youtube is interesting if you have about an hour and a half to kill! :lol

"David Lynch: Consciousness, Creativity & The Brain" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8TFcLgu5Ow

Mulholland Dr was my favorite film of the 00s and nothing else was even close. You REALLY have to see it twice to get a sense of what Lynch is trying to do. Impossible to fully appreciate on first viewing. To borrow a baseball analogy, Lynch consistenly swings for the fences every single time out and I really appreciate that from a creative and artistic standpoint. Now he might swing and miss sometimes, but when he connects it's a thing of beauty...like Mulholland. I could watch it once a year and be entranced every single time.

I had the good fortune to catch the INLAND EMPIRE debut in Chicago where Lynch both introduced the film beforehand and took questions after it. I don't think IE was the success Mulholland was but the film and QA was fascinating nonetheless.

From YouTube - "This

to "clean up new york" was directed by David Lynch and photographed by Frederick Elmes. Perhaps the scariest commercial ever made."

Isn't that just fantastic!?

The man is very clearly a bit mental and a bit touched by genius. Mullholland Dr. Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, ...all wonderfully unsettling and strange. Straight Story is a gorgeous movie. Twin Peaks amazing television. Not a big fan of Elephant Man or Dune. INLAND EMPIRE, for me, is the top of the tree. Long as it is it never outstayed it's welcome for me and I felt it zipped by. It's abstract, off the wall, creepy, unsettling, confusing and utterly, ineffably brilliant.

• 4 years later...

Twin Peaks coming back?

http://www.avclub.com/article/showtime-orders-twin-peaks-continuation-2016-210127

I've got pretty mixed feelings about this.  I loved the first season and a half, got confused in the second half of season 2, and thought the movie was a bit of a mess.

I suppose the positive spin is that Lynch and Frost will write the complete series and Lynch will direct all nine episodes. 

When I first got Netflix a while back I tried to re-watch the show for the first time since it was on. I could not get into it. I don't know if I would watch a new version or not.

We got all the way through re-watching it (it was my wife's first time through) - but it definitely did peter out in the end --- I must have stopped watching it , back in the day - because I didn't remember the last half of the 2nd season at all.

I never did see the movie - at least I don't think I ever did.

Madchen Amick!

:yes

Have you seen her lately, though? Just about unrecognizable.

I was really excited about this return of Twin Peaks until I learned it would be on Showtime. I got rid of those premium channels a while ago. Guess I'll have to wait until it's available on Netflix or something.