Halloween planning

My daughter wants a Halloween party this year and I've gotten the go-ahead from my wife to do the haunted-house-in-the-garage thing. :dancing I'm a Halloweenie--October is my high holy month, so I am completely giddy at the prospect of putting something like this together. I've been browsing the Halloween stores and coming up with ideas for what to do, and I'm trying to come up with a realistic plan that won't require a massive government bailout of my debt when its all done.(but it would be sooo worth it, imo)

Anyway, any tips from people who have done this stuff in the past are welcome. Or lets hear about anything else you guys are planning. C'mon, lets lighten up all the political doom and gloom around here with some....well....doom and gloom!!! :devil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halloween & October rock! I love decorating for Halloween. As far as halloween supplies go, check this out cheap halloween stuff (gotta support China). I was actually putting away summer stuff and bringing out Halloween decorations today. I only allow myself to work 1-2 hours @ the office on Mondays anyway.

My favorite thing to do for Halloween, watch the orginal Halloween outside with a bunch of carved candle-lit pumpkins with a fine pumpkin ale or Ocktoberfest beer.

I have no pointers on building a haunted house, but I can tell you this - I've been to plenty and have never been disappointed, no matter what. Ya know?

Halloween is the best - All October, it's horrour films only at my house. This year we have on tap (so far): The Host, Fright Night and The Devil's Rejects.

I saw Christmas stuff at the drugstore the other day. WTF? :punch

Not sure why, but that annoys me a lot. By Dec, I'm about sick of the season to be merry. It's like this country (retail) just can not live in the moment. I'm a cheesey in the moment living kinda girl. Although, I'm already decorating for Halloween, but what the hell is September good for?

I have a 16mm copy of "Night of the Living Dead" and over the past dozen years I've had a tradition of showing it in the front yard, projected against a screen strung across a volleyball net. Depending on the ages of kids in the neighborhood, by the second reel a dozen people or so have dragged lawn chairs over to watch.

We have neighbors who have gone over the top. One did a haunted butcher shop a few years, with stuff set up throughout their house. The blue-ribbon winners though last year recreated a Star Trek theme, with their old minivan made into a shuttle and a large scale Enterprise built on the front lawn, a large basket of Tribbles and everyone dressed in Star Trek gear. This year they've started two weeks ago on their yard, which will be the Wizard of Oz.

I had a piece of heavenly Pumpkin Spice cheesecake on Saturday. I love this time of year, when all the flavors and scents out there are pumpkin, spice, apple cider, and the like. Warm and lovely nose and tongue tinglers! :dancing

Haunted house ideas? Release some huge, real, live snakes all up in that garage! ;)

Haunted house ideas? Release some huge, real, live snakes all up in that garage! ;)

This would be an awesome idea if this wasn't actually happening in my own house. Since I would like my wife and kids to continue living with me, I think live snakes are out this year. :P

My parents always host a halloween party, and my dad did some pretty fun pranks when we were kids. He once set up an "Automatic Trick-or-Treat Machine", which he made out of a thin sheet of aluminum, rolled into a cylinder a little bigger than a wastebasket, and mounted on the wall just about kids-eye height. It had a false nozzle on the front, with a sign that said "press here to dispense candy". What pressing the button actually did was buckle the aluminum just enough to release the hinge on the false bottom, dropping a pile of old beer and soda cans, which made a huge clatter and caused most kids to jump out of their skin. The cans were all loosely strung together, so he could then just pick them up in one clump and toss them back into the top of the cylinder to be ready for the next sucker.

Another year, he set up a string of ghosts (old white t-shirts, knotted at the top) on a fishing line down the hallway of our house, into the living room. They were hung at different lengths from the line, so when he pulled the line to move them though the house, especially when the room was kept fairly dark, they were like a string of ghosts floating through.

And the one that didn't scare all that many people, but nearly knocked out the people who did fall for it, was a "zombie" tucked in behind the bathroom door. You wouldn't see it when the door was open, and most people going in there would close the door and walk across the room before turning around and realizing that this zombie had been laying in wait behind the door for them. There were some great shrieks coming from inside the bathroom that year.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was younger, one of my friends had a halloween party, she had her neighbour dressed up like a gypsy, and her parents called the parents of the other kids and asked questions and the gypsy told the future of the kids, from information from their parents, not that we knew her mom had talked to our moms. I dont know how to explain that very well but I hope you get what I mean.

She also had things set up where we would stick our hands in boxes and feel weird things and someone in a costume (her mom or her dad, most likely) was like "Human Eyes!!" and they were really grapes in olive oil or something.

Wow. I really am not making sense today...sorry. I hope you get it.

She also had things set up where we would stick our hands in boxes and feel weird things and someone in a costume (her mom or her dad, most likely) was like "Human Eyes!!" and they were really grapes in olive oil or something.

Heh. We'll be doing something like this this year.

But don't do dick in a box(!)