• Your Protector
    • Meadowlarks
    • One of the below
  2. 2. Favorite Track

• Blue Ridge Mountains
    • Oliver James
    • One of the above

• 3 weeks later...

I was a bit sceptical when I first heard bits of songs of this band on the net, but finally purchased the CD (the LP one) and am glad I did. It's absolutely superb and worth the little hype it gets - for once!

Can't choose a favorite track so far, I've listened to the album for the first time a few minutes ago.

For those who don't buy CDs, well, let's say the package is beautiful, and the booklet notes by the band very interesting. I share the thoughts about the music power tied to memories and places (that can elevate you wherever you live), I share the taste for many artists and bands mentionned. The conclusion is interesting as well: "Music is a weird and cosmic thing, its own strange religion for nonbelievers, and what a joy it is to make, in any form".

Amen. :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

I'm as jaded as they come, but seriously, the Fleet Foxes live show is unf**kwithable. Even if you think their records are just "ok" , do yourself a favor and see them in person. They will not disappoint and they WILL win you over. At the Doug Fir show mentioned below, for the encore all of Blitzen Trapper came on stage armed with instruments and they all performed "Blue Ridge Mountains".

It really was something.

Mon. June 30th

The debut long player from Seattle's Fleet Foxes has slowly been making its way up the ranks as a serious contender for record of the year. After last weeks tear inducing or should I say "beard" inducing performance at San Francisco's Bottom of The Hill they may have done just that. Absolutely amazing is what comes to mind and when I think about it, I haven't had a chance to say that for quite some time. Strong compositions, tight four-part harmonies soaking in reverb and a group of players as seamless as I've seen in years. Stay tuned cuz these Fleet Foxes are onto something. See you in Portland at the Doug Fir on July 25th.

Mon. June 30th

The debut long player from Seattle's Fleet Foxes has slowly been making its way up the ranks as a serious contender for record of the year. After last weeks tear inducing or should I say "beard" inducing performance at San Francisco's Bottom of The Hill they may have done just that. Absolutely amazing is what comes to mind and when I think about it, I haven't had a chance to say that for quite some time. Strong compositions, tight four-part harmonies soaking in reverb and a group of players as seamless as I've seen in years. Stay tuned cuz these Fleet Foxes are onto something. See you in Portland at the Doug Fir on July 25th.

I like this album quite a bit, but this is my biggest problem with these guys. They need to lay off the 'verb.

I like this album quite a bit, but this is my biggest problem with these guys. They need to lay off the 'verb.

Hey Moe,

I definitely adhere to the less is more philosophy in the way records are made. These days I tend to prefer less outboard gear, more space, and absolutely no Auto-tune. I concur that using too much reverb tends to make things sound cheesy and demo-ish. With these guys it somehow works for me in a big way.

I listened to this album for the first time two days ago. I like it, but it wears on me in an annoying way after about half-way through. It's still pretty good stuff, though. The production of the tunes seems redundant after awhile, I think. At least to me.

"White Winter Hymnal" gets my vote, too.