New and Improved 3-ply election thread...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mccain has been striking me as increasingly erratic and not all there. i don't even mean politically, necessarily -- as a human being. do mccain followers perceive this at all? it feels like a non-partisan observation on my part. i'm just watching the guy and he truly seems numb or something.

Completely agreed. He is all over the place. Panic? Maybe. He looks like hell, which keeps lending more credence to those who insist his health is failing.(which is what drives a lot of the alarmism about Palin) Or mabye he's uncomfortable and hemmed in by the Rove-style politics and ridiculous grandstanding tactics his campaign has adopted. For once, the GOP seems to be the more "splintered" party right now and he's twisting himself into an ideological pretzel to keep everybody happy. I dunno. Maybe he's just tired. The debate tonight will finally be a good place for the public to get a good long look at him, but from a distance right now my analysis is that the dude just ain't right.

:lol "Its on, witches!"

McCain will bring his game, but will somehow make Palin invisible until after the election. That, or create a fake situtation that leaves her in a coma so he can sub Marsha Blackburn, or some other chick. I think it has to be a woman so as not to piss any woman off.

Marsha Blackburn. From Tennessee, right?

Dear God - sub one cheerleader for another. :ohwell

mccain has been striking me as increasingly erratic and not all there. i don't even mean politically, necessarily -- as a human being. do mccain followers perceive this at all? it feels like a non-partisan observation on my part. i'm just watching the guy and he truly seems numb or something.

I was just thinking this yesterday. He doesn't look well at all and looks like he could snap at any moment. He just seems really stressed out.

Completely agreed. He is all over the place. Panic? Maybe. He looks like hell, which keeps lending more credence to those who insist his health is failing.(which is what drives a lot of the alarmism about Palin) Or mabye he's uncomfortable and hemmed in by the Rove-style politics and ridiculous grandstanding tactics his campaign has adopted. For once, the GOP seems to be the more "splintered" party right now and he's twisting himself into an ideological pretzel to keep everybody happy. I dunno. Maybe he's just tired. The debate tonight will finally be a good place for the public to get a good long look at him, but from a distance right now my analysis is that the dude just ain't right.

I believe what we are seeing is that he is ill-equipped to become the President.

I like John McCain and think he would be a good option as a cabinet member, etc. He is not presidential material... particularly at this point in his life. He is more than visibly uncomfortable with the issues that he is talking to.

From Salon:

Conservative columnist tells Palin: "bow out"

Sarah Palin has seen better days. In fact, her performance recently is so bad that it made one former supporter not just rethink that position, but take to the Web site of the conservative National Review to call on Palin to step down from the Republican ticket.

In a column published Friday, Kathleen Parker writes:

As we've seen and heard more from John McCain's running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn't know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion...

Palin's recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I've been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I've also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there's not much content there... If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we'd all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she's a woman -- and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket -- we are reluctant to say what is painfully true...

McCain can't repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP's unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability...

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

From Salon:

Conservative columnist tells Palin: "bow out"

Sarah Palin has seen better days. In fact, her performance recently is so bad that it made one former supporter not just rethink that position, but take to the Web site of the conservative National Review to call on Palin to step down from the Republican ticket.

In a column published Friday, Kathleen Parker writes:

As we've seen and heard more from John McCain's running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn't know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion...

Palin's recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I've been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I've also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there's not much content there... If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we'd all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she's a woman -- and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket -- we are reluctant to say what is painfully true...

McCain can't repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP's unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability...

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

I think Palin will be forced to go home soon. It will appear to be her choice of course. Do it for your country Palin.

I think Palin will be forced to go home soon. It will appear to be her choice of course. Do it for your country Palin.

I imagine Bristol will be brought into it somehow as a face-saving device.

She'll probably say that she needs to be there for her family and especially to lend support to Bristol. She'll say she's putting family first and no one will think ill of McCain for it because they're doing it for the good of the family.

I don't think it will happen. With barely a month until the election, I think it would cause irreparable damage, no matter who they brought on board. It couldn't be another unknown if they admit this one is a fiasco. The scrutiny would be intense and the trust in judgment would be shot. Then who? Mitt? Rudy? Jeb Bush? The Law & Order guy? I don't imagine the great undecided masses lining up to throw a parade for any of those guys.

I don't think it will happen. With barely a month until the election, I think it would cause irreparable damage, no matter who they brought on board. It couldn't be another unknown if they admit this one is a fiasco. The scrutiny would be intense and the trust in judgment is shot. Then who? Mitt? Rudy? Jeb Bush? The Law & Order guy? I don't imagine the great undecided masses lining up to throw a parade for any of those guys.

Ummmm

Yeah, but if they actually let Palin debate Biden, it is going to be really bad. Even Dan Quayle looks like he knows what he's doing far more than she does.

Ummmm…you forgot Chuck Norris.

That just might work!!!!

BTW, I need to get this off my chest. I'm glad McCain announced he'd be showing up to the debate last night, because I had a dream last night of Obama showing up alone to do the town-hall thing he promised and then somebody runs up to him on stage to whisper in his ear that McCain is in the building, and then McCain and his entourage enter the arena pro-wrestling style with music blaring and lights flashing and shit with McCain barking out taunts at Obama and Obama stalking around the stage/ring shouting for the old man to bring it on. And, honestly, with the stunts McCain has pulled recently, it seemed believable.

Politics-as-wrestling. It doesn't get any weirder than this campaign right now, folks. (I hope.)

Times are tough man, but if Palin gets to go up against Biden, mark my words..I'm treating myself & buying a shit ton of Lambic for that scene. The good stuff I always stare at in the booze shops but pass up for Boulevard or something affordable.

32zufie.gif

I have something to look forward to now.

is mccain really making the decisions and running his own campaign, or is he just following his handlers' orders? either way, it's not good. :nailbite

i don't understand the desperate moves

it's not desperation, it's maverickosity.

i don't think mccain is losing supporters, despite some odd and sometimes disturbing behavior.

i don't think mccain ever had a lot of supporters. obama has a lot of opposers.

is mccain really making the decisions and running his own campaign

I would say no. The tone of his campaign over the last couple months smells of Rove and/or his acolytes. I don't get the sense that McCain is at the wheel right now.

I don't think it will happen. With barely a month until the election, I think it would cause irreparable damage, no matter who they brought on board. It couldn't be another unknown if they admit this one is a fiasco. The scrutiny would be intense and the trust in judgment would be shot. Then who? Mitt? Rudy? Jeb Bush? The Law & Order guy? I don't imagine the great undecided masses lining up to throw a parade for any of those guys.

it can't happen, i agree -- he's already been so erratic, especially recently. a bit concerning that he seems not "right" and we actually would end up with a president palin if he can't carry on. that reality is seeming way too real right now.

p.s. he should pick the "law & order" guy. fred has such broad horizons and the needed sparkling personality.

Politics-as-wrestling. It doesn't get any weirder than this campaign right now, folks. (I hope.)

I'm betting it gets weirder.

it's not desperation, it's maverickosity.

oh yeah. i almost forgot. (i'm so glad you turned maverickness into a better and catchier noun. it needs it.)