New and Improved 3-ply election thread...

What an amazing achievement, how many other people can claim they've read everything the media/press has to offer?

Seriously though, she couldn't think of one publication, not a single one, not even Highlights magazine?

I loved that magizine as a kid. Do they still make it, my baby girl is just about old enough for such a thing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are better ones, if you are into this sort of thing. Maybe you should get her a subscription to Soldier of Fortune. Get 'um trained early I say. We have a long road ahead of us in the endless War on Terror.

There are better ones, if you are into this sort of thing. Maybe you should get her a subscription to Soldier of Fortune. Get 'um trained early I say. We have a long road ahead of us in the endless War on Terror.

You have a good point, thanks. :thumbup

I'm curious to see what is going in their history books concerning this current administration. I guess every school district sorta picks and chooses their take on it & what books best suit their way of thinking.

You have a good point, thanks. :thumbup

I'm curious to see what is going in their history books concerning this current administration. I guess every school district sorta picks and chooses their take on it & what books best suit their way of thinking.

When I took history in school, we never really had time to get into the 20th century, much less the 21st, which, to be fair, hadn't happened yet when I was taking history in school.

Interesting. The public school system gave me a lot of emphasis on WWII, Christopher Columbus (mythology in elementary school and modern perspective in high school), The Great Depression and the Industrial Revolution. I think something else happened one time in Africa or Asia, but it's hard to be sure with my background.

It probably will be many years though before high schoolers digest the 8 years of faux pas called the Bush administration. Poli Sci classes in college are already eating it for breakfast (eeew you eat shit for breakfast?)

I think the only reason I learned anything past the civil war was because I took AP history my senior year and we got to the 1930's in that. I know for a fact that we never learned anything about Korea or Vietnam in school. A little must have been taught about WWII, but I don't really remember. I think we learned more in our lit class when we read Diary of a Young Girl.

My wife asked me if since becoming VP candidate if Palin has said anything (not on a stump speach or talking point presentation) that was intelligent annd coherent. I don't think so, but we both agreed that we know people, too many people who think she is brilliant and understand her even when her answers are babble.

My wife asked me if since becoming VP candidate if Palin has said anything (not on a stump speach or talking point presentation) that was intelligent annd coherent. I don't think so, but we both agreed that we know people, too many people who think she is brilliant and understand her even when her answers are babble.

It is beyond frustrating - perhaps they would be willing to read the following article from Sam Harris, writer and atheist:

When Atheists Attack

A noted provocateur rips Sarah Palin

What it's like to debate Sarah Palin

By Andrew Halcro

Anchorage, Alaska - When he faces off against Sarah Palin Thursday night, Joe Biden will have his hands full.

I should know. I've debated Governor Palin more than two dozen times. And she's a master, not of facts, figures, or insightful policy recommendations, but at the fine art of the nonanswer, the glittering generality. Against such charms there is little Senator Biden, or anyone, can do.

On paper, of course, the debate appears to be a mismatch.

In 2000, Palin was the mayor of an Alaskan town of 5,500 people, while Biden was serving his 28th year as a United States senator. Her major public policy concern was building a local ice rink and sports center. His major public policy concern was the State Department's decision to grant an export license to allow sales of heavy-lift helicopters to Turkey, during tense UN-sponsored Cyprus peace talks.

On paper, the difference in experience on both domestic and foreign policy is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing a bullet. Unfortunately for Biden, if recent history is an indicator, experience or a grasp of the issues won't matter when it comes to debating Palin.

On April 17, 2006, Palin and I participated in a debate at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks on agriculture issues. The next day, the Fairbanks Daily News Miner published this excerpt:

"Andrew Halcro, a declared independent candidate from Anchorage, came armed with statistics on agricultural productivity. Sarah Palin, a Republican from Wasilla, said the Matanuska Valley provides a positive example for other communities interested in agriculture to study."

On April 18, 2006, Palin and I sat together in a hotel coffee shop comparing campaign trail notes. As we talked about the debates, Palin made a comment that highlights the phenomenon that Biden is up against.

"Andrew, I watch you at these debates with no notes, no papers, and yet when asked questions, you spout off facts, figures, and policies, and I'm amazed. But then I look out into the audience and I ask myself, 'Does any of this really matter?' " Palin said.

While policy wonks such as Biden might cringe, it seemed to me that Palin was simply vocalizing her strength without realizing it. During the campaign, Palin's knowledge on public policy issues never matured

Democrats should have nothing to fear about Palin in the VP debate. She's obviously quite green, and it will probably show.

And if Palin DOES do well, Democrats/Liberals will have moderator Gwen Ifill on their side.

No doubt who Ifill hopes to win the election. Here's Amazon's description of her book, The Breakthrough:

In THE BREAKTHROUGH, veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama

Polls: Obama leads in critical trio of states

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 43 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Recently trailing or tied, Democrat Barack Obama now leads Republican John McCain in a trio of the most critical, vote-rich states five weeks before the election, according to presidential poll results released Wednesday.

The Democrat's support jumped to 50 percent or above in Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania in Quinnipiac University surveys taken during the weekend

She is?

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I gotta vote here in a few weeks, and that's helpful to know.

It's a voters duty to stay well informed.

I'm not sure how you could have missed Palin's recent interviews, where she demonstrated quite clearly that she is indeed a fucking moron.

'As Jason Kottke noted, "the cognitive dissonance inside Murray's head must be deafening." '

Thanks for posting that about Murray. It was a great example of the hypocrisy but I truly loved the above quote. What an excellent turn of phrase. As someone that teaches the concept of cognitive dissonance in my AP psych. classes, I dug it! Thanks again.

And if Palin DOES do well, Democrats/Liberals will have moderator Gwen Ifill on their side.

No doubt who Ifill hopes to win the election. Here's Amazon's description of her book, The Breakthrough:

And this makes her incapable of posing pre-determined questions to the candidates? Glad to see you have your built in excuse. So if Palin talks and sounds like an Idiot it will be Ifill

Democrats should have nothing to fear about Palin in the VP debate. She's obviously quite green, and it will probably show.

In THE BREAKTHROUGH, veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama

Wait - you're pro-Obama?

Sort of, after much thought (mostly having to do with McCain choosing a running mate who appears to believe that the earth is anywhere between four and six thousand years old, not to mention the mind numbingly dumb responses she