The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Speaking of live stuff:

The latest offering from the estate of Jimi Hendrix, ‘Miami Pop Festival,’ is set to come out Nov. 5 on CD and a limited-edition two-LP set. Legacy Recordings have revealed its cover artwork (left) and the track listing (see below).

The CD features Hendrix’s headlining set at the two-day festival, which took place at the Gulfstream Park racetrack in Hallandale, Fla., on May 18, 1968, and has never been released in any capacity. In addition to the usual Hendrix live staples like ‘Hey Joe’ and ‘Red House,’ the album includes the first recorded stage performances of ‘Hear My Train A Comin” and ‘Tax Free.’ There are also bonus performances of ‘Fire’ and “Foxey Lady’ recorded at his afternoon slot.

‘Miami Pop Festival’ is being released to coincide with the documentary ‘Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin,” which will be shown on PBS’ ‘American Masters’ series, also on Nov. 5, and will be available for sale on DVD/Blu-ray that same day. The documentary promises to be — in the words of Hendrix’s half-sister Janie, who runs Experience Hendrix LLC — “an in-depth look at the life and legacy of Jimi with his own words as well as the words and memories of those that knew him well and were close to him.”

The DVD will contain the entire film and a host of previously unreleased footage not featured on the telecast, including Miami Pop, the 1970 New York Pop Festival and the Love & Peace Festival at the Isle Of Fehmarn in Germany on Sept. 6, 1970, less than two weeks before Hendrix’s death.

Jim Hendrix ‘Miami Pop Festival’ Track Listing

1. ‘Introduction’
2. ‘Hey Joe’
3. ‘Foxey Lady’
4. ‘Tax Free’
5. ‘Fire’
6. ‘Hear My Train A Comin”
7. ‘I Don’t Live Today’
8. ‘Red House’
9. ‘Purple Haze’

Bonus Performances From Afternoon Show

10. ‘Fire’
11. ‘Foxey Lady’

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poster for that fest was recently appraised on Antiques Roadshow for 20k. The guy said there is only a handful known to exist.

I watched about half of the new documentary. It seemed to me to be an updated version of A Film About Jimi Hendrix (1973). Which is probably my favorite Hendrix bio film. I noticed they left out Leon (Jimi's real brother). If you want to read about his not so pleasant upbringing, check out a book called Room Full of Mirrors (Charles Cross). I think there were a few things I had not seen before. Such as that psychedelic painted house they were traipsing around in. I suppose I will watch the rest of it online at some point.

It was an enjoyable thing to watch. I didn't really learn anything new but some of the footage I'd never seen before - very nice. Sir Paul got plenty of airtime. I was hoping Eric and Pete would be interviewed because I know their first encounter seeing Jimi was pretty earth-shattering for both of them.

And of COURSE the ubiquitous David Fricke was there to give us his rock and roll wisdom.  :lol

And his British equivalent - Chris Welch.

You can see a lot more interviews (including Eric and Pete) in the film I mentioned above. It's on DVD now. I recall with some joy when I was able to get the original soundtrack on vinyl some years ago - by way of Ebay.

I recall with some joy when I was able to get the original soundtrack on vinyl some years ago - by way of Ebay.

Me and my daughter were looking at my copy of that album just last night! I guess everybodys got Jimi on their mind, eh?

I recall receiving that party due to the fact the shithead mailman left it at the bottom of the stairwell that led up to my place at the time. It's amazing someone did not step on it, or grab it. I also got The Cry of Love/Rainbow Bridge/War Heroes/Loose Ends/Crash Landing/Midnight Lightening by way of Ebay.

I use to watch that on videotape with a friend of mine back in the early 90s. One of my favorite pieces of Jimi's music is Hey Baby (New Rising Sun.) There are two versions from that film. One with the Strat, and one with the Flying V. I prefer the Flying V version. I recall we use to notice there was something funky about Mitch's drums -  film to audio sync. It was not until several years later that I learned that he had to redo all his drums parts in the studio.

And of COURSE the ubiquitous David Fricke was there to give us his rock and roll wisdom.  :lol

Not a fan of his, although I do believe I sat right in front of him at a Wilco show at the Auditorium Theater back 10 years ago. Nothing he said in the show was illuminating at all. Any one of us could have ventured the same opinions and pronouncements.

LouieB

Every time I see Hendrix footage I'm reminded of what a total badass Mitch was.

It's odd to think that Billy Cox is the only left now. I suppose I am disrespecting Noel a bit, but I prefer the Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell line-up. That's another sad book to read - Are You Experienced?...(Noel's book).

It's odd to think that Billy Cox is the only left now. I suppose I am disrespecting Noel a bit, but I prefer the Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell line-up. That's another sad book to read - Are You Experienced?...(Noel's book).

That was the best line up.  I always thought it was strange that Hendrix had another guitar player (Noel) playing bass instead of a real bass player.  Not that Noel was a bad bass player by any means.  And I definitely prefer Mitchell's drum style to Buddy Miles for a 3 piece.

I prefer Buddy on Machine Gun and probably most of those Band of Gypsies songs, but overall, I prefer Mitch. I think in Noel's book he talks about how he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. And - he had an afro hairstyle. I think he says he never played bass before that day. A lot of bass from Bold As Love/Electric Ladyland was actually overdubbed by Jimi. Or so I have read. Oddly enough, Noel was one the people who tried out for the Stones after Bill left.

I might have mentioned this before, but I saw Noel Redding in a pub in Galway, Ireland once.  I recognized him because this was not long after the PBS Rock and Roll series aired, and he had a fair amount of screen time in it.   I wish I had offered to buy him a pint and told him how much I was inspired by the Experience.

• 5 weeks later...