Interesting list.

But Peter Pan unbelievably isn't on it. And Roger Rabbit is in, but not the superior Mary Poppins?

Of their top 20, I think these belong: Toy Story, Wall-E, Snow White, Pinnochio, The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Iron Giant, Dumbo, James and the Giant Peach and Monster's Inc.

50. South Park - Bigger, Longer & Uncut

49. Watership Down

48. The Rescuers

47. Paprika

46. Fantasia (2000)

45. Sleeping Beauty

44. Tim Burton

I think Toy Story is better than Toy Story two and Shrek & Beauty and the beast are too far down the list for me. Love Fantasia (1940), thought Incredibles, Wall-e, Ratatouille, & Bugs life were OK at best. I love the Simpsons, but one of the greats?

Where is Heavy Metal?

Wall-E sucked. There. I said it.

The Fox & The Hound should be on any "Best of" list about animated films, too, as should Charlotte's Web.

Agree on Watership Down, too. Needs to be nearer to #1. Pinocchio just might be #1, for me.

I will give Who Framed Roger Rabbit? the love you people are so sorely denying it. I adored that movie when I was little. And as long as we're talking about Mary Poppins, where's The Incredible Mr. Limpet? :stunned

Toy Story has be near the top because it was so revolutionary (although I don't get how the sequel beat out the original, by that same logic,) and Snow White because it was the first feature-length animated film. I'm surprised Finding Nemo didn't come in second or third for Pixar movies -- basically everything Pixar did up to that point was perfecting the animation for Nemo (turns out water is HARD to animate!)

Beauty and the Beast's ballroom scene was one of the first extensive uses of computer animation in a hand-drawn movie, as was Aladdin's magic carpet escape from the cave. Plus those, along with The Little Mermaid and The Lion King, are a second golden age of Disney films. That said, I'm surprised at least one of those wasn't higher on the list.

Glad to see The Nightmare Before Christmas cracking the top ten. LOVE that movie!!

I agree with Lammy -- Charlotte's Web needs to be on there.

My personal top 10 would be:

1. Pinnochio (Disney is almost always great at introducing a story, and the opening sequence is magical.)

2. Peter Pan (Great fantasy. Touching and goofy and funny.)

3. Toy Story (Buzz and Woody's relationship makes this movie one of the best.)

4. Snow White (Has it all.)

5. The Incredibles (Works on so many levels.)

6. Jungle Book (It's mostly style over substance, but this time, that's way OK.)

7. Iron Giant (I like the non-perfect look of the characters. Touching.)

8. Howl's Moving Castle (Or Spirited Away or another great Hayao Miyazaki movie. He might deserve 2 top-10 spots.)

9. Monster's Inc. (It's just fun to watch. Period.)

10. James and the Giant Peach (Not perfect, but I like the quirkiness of it.)

I hated Pinocchio as a little kid. I probably haven't seen it in twenty years - I wonder if I'd feel differently as an adult. (Also hated: Dumbo.)

Both of those are just way too creepy for kids. When they're taking Dumbo's mother away? Holy shit.

My list would be something like:

1) The Incredibles

2) Finding Nemo

3) Nightmare Before Christmas

4) Shrek

5) Monsters, Inc.

and my out of left field nomination - Twice Upon a Time. Anyone else remember this one from the early 80's? I absolutely LOVED that movie.

lol. just found a crappy version of it online. guess what i'm doing for the next 73 mins? :dancing

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2120572902430934061

not too keen on that list. my top 10 would be something like this:

01 dumbo - disney (the elephants on parade scene tops anything i could even think about in this list)

02 noggin the nog - peter firmin

03 song of the south - disney (mainly cos of the songs)

04 american pop - ralph bakshi

05 robin hood - disney (mainly cos the songs are so great)

06 creature comforts - nick parks

07 alice - jan svankmajer

08 watership down - marton rosen

09 when the wind blows - jimmy t. murakami

10 fantastic planet - rene laloux

all those have clips from youtube, i've added

Both of those are just way too creepy for kids. When they're taking Dumbo's mother away? Holy shit.

i thought that's the point in fairy tales etc... i've never read/seen a 'wholesome' one i've liked.

i thought that's the point in fairy tales etc... i've never read/seen a 'wholesome' one i've liked.

True enough. The original Grimm tales are absolutely horrifying. But that scene from Dumbo definitely doesn't fit in with what most parents are probably expecting when they take their little ones to see a Disney movie. I'm not saying it makes Dumbo a bad movie, I just think that scene is way too much for most kids.

Of the movies on that list I have seen 38 and own 26. Way more than I would own of live action best of lists. I guess having kids make a difference. Anyhow if I were to winnow this list down to a top ten I would choose:

01. Toy Story

02. Shrek

03. Beauty and the Beast

04. Lady and the Tramp

05. Cinderella

06. Sleeping Beauty

07. The Iron Giant

08. Monsters, Inc.

09. Finding Nemo

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Honorable Mention & not on the list

not too keen on that list. my top 10 would be something like this:

01 dumbo - disney

02 noggin the nog - peter firmin

03 song of the south - disney

04 american pop - ralph bakshi

05 robin hood - disney

06 creature comforts - nick parks

07 alice - jan svankmajer

08 watership down - marton rosen

09 when the wind blows - jimmy t. murakami

10 fantastic planet - rene laloux

all those have clips from youtube, i've added

I'd love to see the non-Disney films on your list. Maybe my list would change if I did.

Yours may be the only list that wouldn't have a Pixar OR Hayao Miyazaki film on it.

I never thought Pinnochio was creepy. In fact, it's been my favorite since I was a kid. Maybe I'm just blocking some scenes out, though.

Some of my favorites didn't make the list:

Fantastic Planet - Ren

I never thought Pinnochio was creepy. In fact, it's been my favorite since I was a kid. Maybe I'm just blocking some scenes out, though.

Since I haven't seen that or Dumbo in so long, I can barely remember anything about the actual movies. Just hating them. I was very young when I saw them, though - five for both. I do remember Pinocchio hopelessly confusing me about what a conscience was.

This is part of the wikipedia plot summary for Disney's version of Pinocchio. Again, not saying it's a bad movie, but I've always been disturbed by the points I've highlighted here. Stomboli, and the boys turning into donkeys always really bothered me.

On his first day of school Pinocchio is lead astray by the conniving Honest John and Gideon who convince him to join Stromboli's puppet show instead. Pinocchio becomes Stromboli's star attraction but Stromboli abuses Pinocchio by locking him in a bird cage. Stromboli also tells Pinocchio that "once you get old, I'll turn you into fire wood." The Blue Fairy appears and questions Pinocchio about his situation, Pinocchio lies about how he got into the situation but recants when his nose grows in size. With the help of the Blue Fairy and Jiminy, Pinocchio escapes from the cage after his nose is returned to normal.

Honest John and Gideon once more manage to lead Pinocchio astray by convincing him to go to Pleasure Island. On his way he befriends Lampwick, a misbehaved and destructive boy who convinces Pinocchio to act like he and the other boys on Pleasure Island do. Pinocchio enjoys gambling, smoking, getting drunk and destroying Pleasure Island much to Jiminy's dismay. However Jiminy discovers that the island has the power to turn boys who "make jackasses of themselves" into literal donkeys. These boys are then sold to work in the local salt mines.