Worst Member of Great Bands

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I can't believe I'm the first one but....

Clarence Clemmens

Yes, and amazingly he is far and away the most beloved by the fans, which I don't understand. He's played the same solos note for note for thirty years, many of which Bruce wrote for him.

Also, I stand by my Talbot-accusation. He once played the bass part to Old Man through Heart of Gold and vice versa. No good, no good.

:lol

Talbot and Molina are really average musicians but even as it is Crazy Horse is still my favourite band on earth and the only one I'd pay a fortune to see live again.

I encourage everyone to put "Weld" on their stereo as they read these words.

I've seen the big man play with the JGB and, although he isn't David Murray, he can get outside. Check out the "Don't Let Go" from Alpine 9/89 - crazy stuff.

Love is perhaps the biggest douchebag in music history, but I'm not sure he's any less essential than Al Jardine.

--Mike

I think this is like that other negative thread - I forget the name of it. Let's put it this way, Clem Burke did not make it very long in The Ramones, and I bet Marky or whoever, could not last five minutes in Blondie. Mike Love co-wrote a lot of early Beach Boys songs, and also served as the front man, and lead vocal on many Beach Boys songs. I suppose I just don't understand these sort of statements - that is, I don't think in the way the topic of title dictates.

Bump the Blasphemy would be a kickass Beastie Boys or would have been a kickass Big Audio Dynamite album title.

I forget the name of it. Let's put it this way, Clem Burke did not make it very long in The Ramones, and I bet Marky or whoever, could not last five minutes in Blondie.

Clem was a great drummer fer da Ramones.........the other guys couldn't keep time to him....too fast............oh,and that T-shirt revenue thing did him in too.....

-Robert.

Clem was a great drummer fer da Ramones.........the other guys couldn't keep time to him....too fast............oh,and that T-shirt revenue thing did him in too.....

-Robert.

I respectively disagree - he could not play the beat they needed for their music. Maybe I am talking about something other than this thread is about.

Damn. Busting on the good Captain and Jan in a single day?

::takes blood pressure meds, counts to 10:: :lol

Ok, I admit that Captain one was just to get a rise. I love the captain, but if there was an entire album of the magic band doing instrumentals, it'd probably be their most played album in my house.

I'm probably busting on Jan Hammer for sins committed post-Mahavishnu.

Scott Shriner - Bass player, Weezer

I think they just hired him to give their band a "bad boy".. He looks completely out of place with his tattoo's etc.

He's pretty worthless on bass, just plays root notes.. Again, when Matt Sharp left the band Weezer was never the same..

>I've seen the big man play with the JGB and, although he isn't David Murray, he can get outside. Check out the "Don't Let Go" from Alpine 9/89 - crazy stuff.

I used to have a tape of Clarence with JGB from Great Woods in Sept 89. Clarence killed it for me. He must have played the same 5 or 6 notes over and over. He had no ability to improvise anything interesting. It was like the saxophone equivalent of a bass player playing nothing but the root note all night. That exposed Clarence to me as a being little more than product of Bruce's music and direction.

>I've seen the big man play with the JGB and, although he isn't David Murray, he can get outside. Check out the "Don't Let Go" from Alpine 9/89 - crazy stuff.

I used to have a tape of Clarence with JGB from Great Woods in Sept 89. Clarence killed it for me. He must have played the same 5 or 6 notes over and over. He had no ability to improvise anything interesting. It was like the saxophone equivalent of a bass player playing nothing but the root note all night. That exposed Clarence to me as a being little more than product of Bruce's music and direction.

I saw Clarence with JGB a few times and in the late 80s and thought he added some great color/texture/whatever you want to call it to the band. There was plenty of improv-y stuff but he sounded great just adding some depth to a lot of the tunes, imo. Example: "Evangeline" w/JGB (around the 2-min. mark and beyond. Nothing mind-blowing but shit, it sounds nice. Isn't that the bottom line, particularly in a guest spot?

And, I actually like those Great Woods shows quite a bit, too.

Scott Shriner - Bass player, Weezer

I think they just hired him to give their band a "bad boy".. He looks completely out of place with his tattoo's etc.

He's pretty worthless on bass, just plays root notes.. Again, when Matt Sharp left the band Weezer was never the same..

That was my thought while reading this.

And Clarence did the solo on "Jungleland". All else is forgiven.