Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

No seriously, are you saying you typically vote straight Democrat but if you didn't you'd vote Democrat today because of the Republicans?

So are you saying you would vote straight Republican in an alternate universe but you'd switch in the current election?

I really don't get what you are trying to say.

what I am saying is if the Democratic party had the kind of candidates that the Republican party has today (which in my opinion are not good) then I would cross the party line and vote Republican if I thought the Republican party had better candidates. OR I would vote for Independent or Green. understand now???

FYI, there is no alternate universe...

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I am saying is if the Democratic party had the kind of candidates that the Republican party has today (which in my opinion are not good) then I would cross the party line and vote Republican if I thought the Republican party had better candidates. OR I would vote for Independent or Green. understand now???

FYI, there is no alternate universe...

I actually don't get, you need to define "better candidates" while leaving out personal preference and subjectivity in the definition.

For the record, I'm not debating you on anything.

I actually don't get, you need to define "better candidates" while leaving out personal preference and subjectivity in the definition.

For the record, I'm not debating you on anything.

"better" = "make Flick feel warm and fuzzy inside"

I don't see why Flick's statement is causing such confusion. Is it that hard to imagine a situation where one party's platform might be more to your liking, but you viewed the other party's candidate as more intelligent, more knowledgeable, less corrupt, etc.?

Well, I quietly threw my hat in the ring awhile back, and look what happened!

Yeah, you had me going there for a minute dude. But how did I know that's not you? Because I know GOD DAMNED WELL you would insist on the monkey head as part of your logo.

Nice try though. :lol

"better" = "make Flick feel warm and fuzzy inside"

mmmmCLOSE!

I don't see why Flick's statement is causing such confusion. Is it that hard to imagine a situation where one party's platform might be more to your liking, but you viewed the other party's candidate as more intelligent, more knowledgeable, less corrupt, etc.?

more like it.

btw, don't most people base decisions on who to vote for on subjective opinion? based on what we personally believe in? am I wrong? hello?

Does anyone deny the possibility that they could find the candidate that is in line with their ideology so distasteful due to a perceived lack of integrity, intelligence, stability, etc. that they would feel as though voting for the 'other party candidate' with a perceived integrity, intelligence, stability, etc. 'sits better in their gut' as far as the country's best interests are concerned? I am not saying that every McCain voter should feel this way. I am just asking if anyone thinks that such a scenario is impossible for them. If the answer is yes, that is what is difficult for myself, and I think for others, to understand.

btw, don't most people base decisions on who to vote for on subjective opinion? based on what we personally believe in? am I wrong? hello?

No you are entirely correct, that is the entire crux of the debate though, what I feel is important or a correct course of action is not necessarily what you find the same. Some are having a hard time understanding this crucial difference and are writing it off to mental illness on the part of those who don

No you are entirely correct, that is the entire crux of the debate though, what I feel is important or a correct course of action is not necessarily what you find the same. Some are having a hard time understanding this crucial difference and are writing it off to mental illness on the part of those who don
Does anyone deny the possibility that they could find the candidate that is in line with their ideology so distasteful due to a perceived lack of integrity, intelligence, stability, etc. that they would feel as though voting for the 'other party candidate' with a perceived integrity, intelligence, stability, etc. 'sits better in their gut' as far as the country's best interests are concerned? I am not saying that every McCain voter should feel this way. I am just asking if anyone thinks that such a scenario is impossible for them. If the answer is yes, that is what is difficult for myself, and I think for others, to understand.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I have no intention of voting for McCain just because of some of the factors you listed.

Unfortunately alot of voters will vote for McCain rather as a vote against the opposition rather than a vote of support for McCain.

Much like the voters who voted for Kerry - "I'm not voting for Kerry per se, I'm voting against Bush".

Yes, and I am "going with my gut" by not voting for Obama.

No you are entirely correct, that is the entire crux of the debate though, what I feel is important or a correct course of action is not necessarily what you find the same. Some are having a hard time understanding this crucial difference and are writing it off to mental illness on the part of those who don't share a similar ideology.

ur high

Yes, and I am "going with my gut" by not voting for Obama.

That makes sense.

This may sound like I am dense but you are saying that you could see yourself voting for the ideology opposite yours under the right circumstances?

I do not give a fuck what you think. There are a lot of Republicans out there who are turning there backs on McCain/Palin, even some people I know who are die hard Democrat haters.

The media keeps going on about the "Bradley effect", I think they should be making up a name for all the republicans that will secretly vote for Obama. :shifty

That makes sense.

This may sound like I am dense but you are saying that you could see yourself voting for the ideology opposite yours under the right circumstances?

Yes.

I have voted for Democrats before. Just not in a federal election.

do we have the same dad? Mine's not fully retired yet, but this sounds awfully familiar.

Is his name Al? We're brothers!!

Well, you know, one of the reasons I mentioned that I would probably never vote for Republicans over Democrats was to contradict your statement. It's not hypocrtical at all--I just disagree with you.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you as I haven't seen you reach across and bitch slap the other side for voting republican. I just don't see any reason why a non-politician couldn't feasibly prefer someone moderate on the other side. Depending on your hot-button issues, who is the stronger candidate?

For me, I have never voted for a Republican nominee but could see a time where I would. I am a pro-eductation, anti-war, small government type. I choose my issues rather than a party choose them for me. That's all.

There's the rub. It seems unlikely that I would agree with a Republican on the issues more than I would a Democrat.

You're the rub. ;) In all seriousness, I agree with you for the most part. I have voted for multiple Republicans at the lower level but generally vote Democrat.

Am I the only voter who actually liked Kerry? He schooled W in at least one of their debates.

He was much better than W. I voted for him, I just think he's ineffective and somewhat useless. The fact that he lost to Bush is at least some evidence of this.

If I was promised riches and lots of sex.

Seriously? No bullshit, trying to rile me, etc.? You can't imagine a scenario where the candidate that supports your ideology is so distasteful to you in integrity and/or similar factors that you realize that the 'other' candidate is better for the country and therefore more deserving of your vote other than one where you are 'promised riches and lots of sex'?

edit> sorry for the run on quasi-sentence.

So you don't understand how people can agree with a conservative mindset and not be nuts? How close minded ca you be?

Anectdotal evidence of a few people that a dude from West Virginia knows who are voting Obama does not mean that everyone who votes for McCain/Palin is nuts.

This is just a really narrow minded world view from both sides, and it's the reason nothing can ever get done. We can't look past stupid labels, and instead just demonize or write off the other half without a thought. It's ridiculous, and it happens from dudes in West Virginia to politicians in Washington.

The McCain running today is not who McCain really is period. If you read the history of McCain and compare it to the man he has become due to the desire to be president no matter what, I think you would understand. Palin, I don't even have to touch that one. She is an evangelical nut, not a true republican. True conservative republicans are running from theses people.

The republican party is lost. McCain/Palin do not represent the heart of the real republican party. Their party has a lot of self discovery to do over the next 8 years while Obama is president. :yes And, I think this country needs some serious work on moving away from the 2-party system!