Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

including calling people who do not feel the same way nuts?

sure... why not?

like i said, it doesn't make Aman right, or a bit close-minded (although in this case i agree with him TO AN EXTENT ;) ).

Oh, he's fully allowed to believe that people who support McCain are nuts, but it makes him look close minded, and he should get called out on it. It's shit like that that makes a lot of people hate discussing politics.

i would think it's obvious enough to anyone with a brain that it's a bit close minded and doesn't really need to be called out on, especially when it's Aman... and you. why not just let Aman feel the way he does, it shouldn't effect you personally? or send him a PM...

it's called:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

not like you two don't have a sordid history on here...

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republicans and Democrats don't get held to the same standards here.

apparently... I'd like to think that I do. There are many on the Democrat side here that I wouldn't hitch my wagon to. While I can understand a passionate need for change right now, I can't understand how anyone would stand up and say that they would never vote for the better candidate if he/she is across party lines.

I'm an independent thinker though.

Who is more evil to the democrats here, a republican, or an independent who doesn't vote Obama?

I don't think you were necessarily addressing this to me but I don't feel that anyone is evil. I have family members that will definitely vote with McCain. Fortunately, their votes don't matter as Obama will win Illinois. :lol My Dad is a retired executive and has done well over the years. By no means is he not an intelligent man. He's also very reasonable. That said, he has been sending retarded chain mail to my siblings and I for the past month with Obama fearmongering.

I'd love to vote for a republican. Unfortunately the GOP bears no resemblance to the republican ideals I believe in. They are not for less government; they are for government intruding in different parts of your life than the Dems. They are not for less spending; they are for different spending than the Dems. At this point I've resigned myself to that fact and therefore pick the candidate that will intrude in areas I care less about and spend on things I care more about. But also, they are BOTH spending money we don't have. Empty promises about not raising taxes fall on my deaf ears. We will have to raise taxes. HW Bush at least deserves some respect for doing exactly that despite knowing it was likely political suicide in conditions very similar to where we are today.

not that anyone cares, but I typically vote along party lines, but if the Democratic party looked like the Republican party looks today, I would cross party lines for sure. just sayin'. or maybe:

larouche.gif

If your dad is not part of the solution he's part of the problem :rolleyes

The amount of shit that I blow his way over the chain mails is quite astounding. He tells me that he doesn't even believe most of the stuff. Most of his decisions are based entirely on tax rates. Despite the fact that the stock markets do significantly better under Democrat presidents, he doesn't care. He's pulled most of his money out of the market because he's old and retired.

HW Bush at least deserves some respect for doing exactly that despite knowing it was likely political suicide in conditions very similar to where we are today.
And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them,
not that anyone cares, but I typically vote along party lines, but if the Democratic party looked like the Republican party looks today, I would cross party lines for sure. just sayin'. or maybe:

I have no idea what this means.

I'd love to vote for a republican. Unfortunately the GOP bears no resemblance to the republican ideals I believe in. They are not for less government; they are for government intruding in different parts of your life than the Dems. They are not for less spending; they are for different spending than the Dems. At this point I've resigned myself to that fact and therefore pick the candidate that will intrude in areas I care less about and spend on things I care more about. But also, they are BOTH spending money we don't have. Empty promises about not raising taxes fall on my deaf ears. We will have to raise taxes. HW Bush at least deserves some respect for doing exactly that despite knowing it was likely political suicide in conditions very similar to where we are today.

Exactly!

What todays republicans are for is for getting their own way, for winning and for oposing democrats at all turns. The current crop of republicans donto in any way shape or form match up with on any levels the conservatives of the past. I'll even go so far to say that the last real conservative presiident was Ike, not Reagan. Regan grew the government, grew the debt and started the US on it's current path of military adverturism all of which were never conservative in nature. That being said I do acknowledge Ike's hand in Vietnam and planning the Bay of Pigs.

The amount of shit that I blow his way over the chain mails is quite astounding. He tells me that he doesn't even believe most of the stuff. Most of his decisions are based entirely on tax rates. Despite the fact that the stock markets do significantly better under Democrat presidents, he doesn't care. He's pulled most of his money out of the market because he's old and retired.

do we have the same dad? Mine's not fully retired yet, but this sounds awfully familiar.

I find it irresponsible that a "democrat" or "republican" would ever say that they wouldn't vote for the other party. Again, I understand confusion about why folks refuse to move away from the McCain/Palin ticket... but it becomes increasingly clear why they wouldn't if a "democrat" is stating that they would never vote for a "republican" candidate. Hypocrisy running amok?

Well, you know, one of the reasons I mentioned that I would probably never vote for Republicans over Democrats was to contradict your statement. It's not hypocrtical at all--I just disagree with you.

My leftisness includes uncompromising faith in tolerance and compassion. Particularly as regards the freedoms of expression. When I see those ideals sacrificed in the political spectrum the ever shrinking distance of what differentiates a republican from a democrat becomes even more difficult to make out.

mfwahl quoted:

And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them,
Haven't figured this out. I usually enjoy both of your posts. It's clear you disagree, but a lot of people on here do. It is vicious at times between the 2 of you.

Aman vs. Bobbob is pretty notorious if you ask any of the Via mods :thumbup

would just prefer to stave it off early if I see it escalating, that's all

:jerkit

No seriously, are you saying you typically vote straight Democrat but if you didn't you'd vote Democrat today because of the Republicans?

So are you saying you would vote straight Republican in an alternate universe but you'd switch in the current election?

I really don't get what you are trying to say.

I am actually listened as an Independent on my voter card. I vote Democrat as that is who best represents my beliefs. Also, I have a strong belief in labor unions, and they tend to go that way also.

For those I offended with my statement, I apologize. Carry on. I was mainly thinking about some of things I have read or seen on the news about how Republicans are turned off by McCain/Palin.

I doubt I will ever vote for a Republican, at least in the foreseeable future. I have voted for third party candidates in local elections several times, but voted Democratic in the two Presidential elections that I've voted in. I would vote for a third party candidate in a Presidential election under certain circumstances.

During the mayoral elections when I lived in Chicago, I voted for a republican every time I could. Thats about it though. It would take an awful lot to make me go GOP on the federal level.