MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for fun, who are the biggest assholes to ever play the game? Here are some off the top of my head: Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, Ugueth Urbina, Roger Clemens, John McGraw

something we agree on, Kent is a d bag as is Roidger Clemens

As for Ted Williams maybe he calmed down after his playing days, my Dad got the chance to meet him in the 70's at some gun show or something and he was a good guy I guess, I have a signed ball he gave me

Sure! If you believe that he actually ever existed.

that story didnt get enough press....how funny

Lincecum is a beast, I cant believe he got passed on by as many teams as he did in the 2006 draft, he flat dominated the Pac 10, he had 14.29 K's per 9 innings his last year at the U of Washington, he is small yes but he has an amazing arm, Im sure teams like the Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers, and Dodgers sure would love to have him right now, drafting baseball players is not rocket science

those are his career numbers yes but what are they in October and with the Yankees?

Ah, but now you're moving the goalposts. Your original statement didn't mention anything about October:

ARod doesnt hit with RISP this isnt criticism its just a fact

edit: Norbs beat me to it.

drafting baseball players is not rocket science

Right - it's much more complicated. I would argue that of all of the "major" sports, baseball has the lowest success rate in terms of projecting future success of amatuer/high school/college players. And I think it has the largest gap between high school/college level and the majors. Every sport has its list of can't-miss players who missed but baseball's is pretty long.

I dont think its much more complicated at all but agree to disagree, there is a reason some teams seem to always draft well and some dont, As a Ranger fan Im use to not drafting well and as a Red Sock fan you are use to drafting well...at least lately

I'm hoping for Josh Hamilton for AL MVP but it will probably be Pedroia

NL MVP is a tough call, maybe Ryan Bruan, heck CC deserves some love....Ryan Howard probably gets it though

I dont think its much more complicated at all but agree to disagree, there is a reason some teams seem to always draft well and some dont, As a Ranger fan Im use to not drafting well and as a Red Sock fan you are use to drafting well...at least lately

The Red Sox are notorious for cultivating players deep into their system and hanging on to them through to the top.

those are his career numbers yes but what are they in October and with the Yankees?

A helluva lot lower. A-Rod's kind of a joke now in NY. He'll probably show up at spring training spouting all that Kabbalah nonsense he's getting from Madonna.

Lincecum is a beast, I cant believe he got passed on by as many teams as he did in the 2006 draft, he flat dominated the Pac 10, he had 14.29 K's per 9 innings his last year at the U of Washington, he is small yes but he has an amazing arm, Im sure teams like the Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers, and Dodgers sure would love to have him right now, drafting baseball players is not rocket science

It's cause he's five foot nothin, a hundred and nothin.

Im a HUGE college baseball fan so I really do think drafting college players is the way to go, sure there are a few guys here and then that are cant miss prospects who are HS kids (Griffey JR, Chipper Jones, and Joe Mauer come to mind) but if you are drafting a guy from the SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, or ACC they have played very good competition for a few years and I'd much rather have a guy who is 21 and is a year or two away from the show then a guy who is 18 and might need four or five years in the minors, especially drafting in the first round I have always thought you should draft someone in the fiorst round you can see with your big club in two years....the Rays had the 1st pick this year and took Tim Bechman (a HS kid) and hopefully they wont regret not taking Pedro Alvarez, Buster Posey, or Gordon Beckham

It's cause he's five foot nothin, a hundred and nothin.

and those guys do breakdown sometimes but look at Pedro Martinez, sure he had injury problems but he is similar size and put together a HOF career, there are a lot of guys who flame out who are 6'5 225 as well (Mark Prior)

Anyone else find it weird that both of the big names being talked in trades (Holliday, Peavy) are both pretty much entirely a product of the parks they play in?

Holliday is an .800 OPS hitter away from Coors, and Peavy has a 3.8 ERA away from Petco. I can garauntee the teams that get each of them will "underperform" expectations next year because of both of them.