MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

Holliday is an .800 OPS hitter away from Coors, and Peavy has a 3.8 ERA away from Petco. I can garauntee the teams that get each of them will "underperform" expectations next year because of both of them.

The Home/Away split is one part of his offense you can look at. Another is EqA which has him at .304 for his career. Either way, it'd be hard for OAK to "underperform" any more than have the last few years. They were near dead-last in offense last year, too. Coors is a hitters park but not because of the altitude. And sure, OAK is a pitcher's park. I actually think Holliday will be fine there but as always - who knows until he plays? He's looking to showcase his skills for FA so my bet is he'll be even more productive than he was for the Rockies.

As for Peavey: looks like ATL is ready to move in:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this ends today, so we can move on. I don't want to see Yunel go, but Peavey will be a big piece of what Atlanta needs to do in the offseason. And they have some money to spend this year.

Peavy would be going to ATL though and gets to pitch in a pitchers park, not quite as good of a pitchers park as SD plays in but a pitchers park nonetheless, he is a strikeout pitcher with great control I think he will do well in ATL, what would worry me about Peavy is his Groundball to flyball ratio

I heard Escobar is not very popular in the clubhouse, I agree I wouldnt want to trade him either though, I think he can be an all star SS but when you have a chance to get an ace you jump at it, especially with Hudson being hurt and Smoltz not getting younger, I heard the final part of the Peavy trade is if they want Reyes or Morton

I heard Escobar is not very popular in the clubhouse, I agree I wouldnt want to trade him either though, I think he can be an all star SS but when you have a chance to get an ace you jump at it, especially with Hudson being hurt and Smoltz not getting younger, I heard the final part of the Peavy trade is if they want Reyes or Morton

I heard Padres favor Morton and want Blaine Boyer also.

The Home/Away split is one part of his offense you can look at. Another is EqA which has him at .304 for his career. Either way, it'd be hard for OAK to "underperform" any more than have the last few years. They were near dead-last in offense last year, too. Coors is a hitters park but not because of the altitude. And sure, OAK is a pitcher's park. I actually think Holliday will be fine there but as always - who knows until he plays? He's looking to showcase his skills for FA so my bet is he'll be even more productive than he was for the Rockies.

His home/road splits are usually anywhere between .100 and .300 points of OPS. Thats a whole lot. He looks like an elite hitter in Colorado and a merely good one elsewhere.

Same with Peavy: Looks like Elite at home, just good everywhere else. Is it worth the players they are giving up?

And the Marlins rob the Cubs in the Gregg deal. Ceda sounds legit.

His home/road splits are usually anywhere between .100 and .300 points of OPS. Thats a whole lot. He looks like an elite hitter in Colorado and a merely good one elsewhere.

Same with Peavy: Looks like Elite at home, just good everywhere else. Is it worth the players they are giving up?

My understanding of EqA is that it's a better barometer for a hitter's ability as it figures in H/A splits into many more offensive categories.... Focusing only on his Home/Away split doesn't paint the whole picture.

Either way, the only way we'll know if it was a good deal is when the season starts. Gonzalez could be a bust offensively (he's already solid defensively) and have to be sent down to hone skills early on. Street finished the season very strong and barring injury could take the closer role or at least be a barteriong chip for much needed starting pitching. Holliday could out-perform in a new environment or those offensive stats could grimly highlight his true offensive worth....

Yankees pick up Nick Swisher for 24 year old minor league starting pitcher Jeff Marquez.

If that's all the Yankees gave up, I like the deal quite a bit for them. Swisher's hitting his prime, is a plus defender no matter where he is on the field, and Marquez looks like nothing.

Then why pick up a mediocre reliever who can't throw strikes and give up a 21 y/o flamethrower out of the pen?

insurance, just in case Marmol isnt ready to close, Gregg isnt very good I agree, the Cubs have a decent pen though even without Gregg and Wood, Jose Ceda will probably close for the Marlins in 2010

Swisher can play 1st and play the OF, good guy to have and good in the clubhouse, good pick up for the Yanks

Yankees pick up Nick Swisher for 24 year old minor league starting pitcher Jeff Marquez.

If that's all the Yankees gave up, I like the deal quite a bit for them. Swisher's hitting his prime, is a plus defender no matter where he is on the field, and Marquez looks like nothing.

Wow, Kenny Williams is a terrible GM.

Threw in 22 year old Minor league reliever Kanekoa Texeira.

Unless the Yankees eventually end up giving more than Marquez and his 1.51 career MiLB era, Williams just got fucked real hard. Essentially traded Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Marquez.

Sox also got Betemit.

Sox also got Betemit.

Still a bad deal.

Still, I guess since the Marlins gave up Willingham and Olsen and only got 1 good prospect out of the whole deal (Jake Smolinski, who I like a lot) and basically got another Alfredo Amezaga, I can't criticize. Though they have made 2 other very good trades this offseason, and all fo the players they gave up were expendable.

I have always enjoyed Betemit, he has never got a shot to play everyday, his career high in a season for at bats is only 373, Sox will also need a 3rd baseman cuz they said they will not be resigning Joe Crede, the Sox are still pretty high on Josh Fields but he hasnt developed as well as they thought he would